Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times

Advertisements

I'm one of those multi-generation, born in East Texas Texans who does NOT think that Texas is the South. It's really just Texas, but if it must be put in a region, the vast majority of it would be Southwestern. As a state it's only the South if you ignore all of the other contributions - German, Spanish, French, etc. - and six flags over Texas - not the theme park, the historical fact - is right out.

But I've learned for the most part not to even bother, if TexasReb is in the thread, because nothing less than "TEXAS IS THE SOUTH!!!!!!" and a stirring rendition of Dixie will do. It's not even any fun discussing it any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 10:01 PM

228 posts, read 397,440 times
The United States is divided into five regions. These regions are the Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Southwest, and the West. The regions of the United States are grouped by history, traditions, economy, climate, and geography. Each region is different from one another. The states in the five regions are all in the same area of the United States.

Sorry TexReb if you want to rewrite geographic study then be my guest! Moderator cut: off topic/persona

Last edited by Bo; 12-31-2010 at 10:03 AM..

Old 12-30-2010, 10:28 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
Default Not offended by Southerner but prefer TEXAN!

While I acknowledge that Texas has a strong kinship with the South, I've always considered myself a Texan and not a Southerner. I can see how viewpoints may vary for those in the Deep East, Far West and Southern Border regions of the State, but many of the Native Texans I've conversed with in the areas I'm most familier; DFW and Houston, consider themselves Texan not Southern.

When I was based up north for several years (Maryland), the ladies would refer to me as a Southern Gentleman. I had no issue with that at all.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:29 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
I consider myself southern.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:30 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm one of those multi-generation, born in East Texas Texans who does NOT think that Texas is the South. It's really just Texas, but if it must be put in a region, the vast majority of it would be Southwestern. As a state it's only the South if you ignore all of the other contributions - German, Spanish, French, etc. - and six flags over Texas - not the theme park, the historical fact - is right out.

But I've learned for the most part not to even bother, if TexasReb is in the thread, because nothing less than "TEXAS IS THE SOUTH!!!!!!" and a stirring rendition of Dixie will do. It's not even any fun discussing it any longer.
First to say, TexasHorseLady, I am also getting a bit put out with it myself. That is, with the topic itself. And I knew dadgum well it would start up from the point the thread was posted. Moderator cut: off topic/personal

With that said though? I am going to directly address the bolded part. It is no longer "fun" if "TexasReb" is not here? Do you realize how this translates? I don't really care about my own role in it. BUT...it is as if it is only "fun" or informative if you can be the ruler of the discussion and your opinion being the end and be all. And, sorry, but that is the way it most often comes across on this subject. Something like, I am from East Texas so therefore I am an expert on the matter and my outlook is gospel truth.

Fine...But at the same time? And I say this as one who respects your intelligence and insights. You never provide any empirical evidence for your position that Texas is not an essentially Southern state. You never provide any empirical reasons why it is a Southwestern state. You never even make deliniations between what and why -- as concerns Texas -- are the important distinctions --perhaps -- between the two. That is to say, is the "Southwest" of Texas, the same thing as the "Southwest" of New Mexico and Arizona? Are they a coherent region? Or is one the Western South and the other the Southern West? You don't address that why it is that the other influences (other than the southeast) in fact, by and large, DID, assimilate into the larger population...which were Lower, Upper, and Mountain Southerners.

This is just but a truism. Why else would Texas have joined the Confederacy as one of the original states? Why would Southern American English be the standard in Texas? Why the Southern Baptist Church be the largest protestant denomination? All the way down to the solid fact that tomorow we are going to eat black-eyed peas?

If the Southern influences in Texas were removed? Then Texas would not be recognized as Texas...even the cowboy. One can no more seperate Texas from the historic South than a tree can be removed from its roots and expected to grow up into what it is. Texas is Texas...but its roots and shaping are Southern. Nothing else even comes close. Why should that be so contradictory?

I am always open to discussing this, THL. If you want to talk history as concerns Texas regional affiliation, then I am all for it.

Last edited by Bo; 12-31-2010 at 10:43 AM..

Old 12-30-2010, 10:33 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Most of the San Antonians I've talked to consider San Antonio to be Southwest along with everything west and south of us. We have a strong Spanish and Mexican influence along with New Mexico and Arizona.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:36 PM

Once again thank you for your OPINION! No facts or data just TexasRebel's opinion!!!!!!!!

Old 12-30-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
Most of the San Antonians I've talked to consider San Antonio to be Southwest along with everything west and south of us. We have a strong Spanish and Mexican influence along with New Mexico and Arizona.
i agree!

Old 12-30-2010, 11:45 PM

The 18th annual SXSW® Interactive Festival challenges you to envision the future of innovative technology. Featuring five days of compelling presentations from the brightest minds in emerging media and scores of exciting networking events hosted by industry leaders, SXSW Interactive offers an unbeatable line up of special programs showcasing the best new websites, digital projects, wireless applications, video games and startup ideas the community has to offer. From hands-on training to big-picture analysis, SXSW Interactive has become the place to preview of what is unfolding in the world of creative technology. Join us March 2011 for the panels, the parties, the 14th Annual Interactive Awards, SXSW ScreenBurn, the SXSW Trade Show, SXSW Accelerator and, of course, the inspirational experience that only SXSW can deliver.

South X Southwest

Old 12-30-2010, 11:46 PM

The Southwestern United States is a region defined in different ways by different sources. Broad definitions include nearly a quarter of the United States, including Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah. Narrowly defined, the "core" Southwest might include only Arizona and New Mexico, with parts of the other states making up the beginnings and endings of the Southwest. The five main southwestern states of Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, and Nevada are also all considered part of the Mountain West, as well as the southwest. The total population of these states are roughly 19 million people.[1]
Most of it was a part of the Viceroyalty of New Spain, in the Spanish Empire, during the Modern Era. Arizona, New Mexico, California, Texas, Nevada, Utah, most of Colorado, and very small parts of Oklahoma, Wyoming, and Kansas were all part of Mexico before the Mexican-American War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas