Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 08:29 PM

412 posts, read 545,698 times

Advertisements

Never heard of that. I live in a rural town, and people have always repped both Texas and the South, and much of Texas is Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 03:50 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm a proud Texan AND a proud Southerner. No one else can speak for me.
Same here Nairobi! Well said and no contradictions in the two statements at all!

Old 08-30-2016, 04:33 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi:
I'm a proud Texan AND a proud Southerner. No one else can speak for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Same here Nairobi! Well said and no contradictions in the two statements at all!
I like visiting the "South" & enjoy southern cooking & pork BBQ. I admire the Southern attitude & sense of place.

I also love visiting New Mexico & I love Carne Adovada. I really enjoy the almost zen like NM vibe & it's sense of place.

But I'm not New Mexican and I'm not Southern. I'm Texan. When I get back to Texas (after visiting Atlanta or Taos) I feel like I'm home.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:00 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I like visiting the "South" & enjoy southern cooking & pork BBQ. I admire the Southern attitude & sense of place.

I also love visiting New Mexico & I love Carne Adovada. I really enjoy the almost zen like NM vibe & it's sense of place.

But I'm not New Mexican and I'm not Southern. I'm Texan. When I get back to Texas (after visiting Atlanta or Taos) I feel like I'm home.

Well said!

Old 08-30-2016, 06:39 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Well said!
Why was his statement well said but not TexasReb's? There are parts of East Texas that are far more similar to the states east of the region than they are to most of Texas itself. There is no denying this so I don't understand why there would be an issue with any part of the state been labeled as southern. Marshall is more like Atlanta than Austin.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I'm grateful that I'm southern, and I'm grateful that I'm a Texan.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
As I alluded to in my previous post, one of my issues with that mantra is that it suggests that no other southern state is unique within itself.

My other issue is that it also suggests that we are one monolithic entity, which simply isn't the case. There's no one thing you can say about Texas or Texans that applies to every corner of this state or everyone. Parts of the state are Deep South, part of it is Southern Plains, part of it has Cajun influence, and other parts feel like Mexico. For example, being raised in Southeast Texas, I grew up eating things like boudain, crawfish, dirty rice, and on the menu of more traditional (yet unpopular) southern foods were things like chitlins, ox tails, and pigs feet. These are dishes that I can safely assume most Texans have no experience with, yet they are a significant part of my Texas experience.

My point is that saying "Texas is Texas" is almost an arrogant way of denying regional identity, and it even dismisses many of our varying customs, because, all we all know, when the world sees Texas, they don't picture anything more than cowboys and cattle. That simply isn't accurate, though.
Maybe if you said it, it would come from arrogance, but when I say it, it doesn't.

When I say "Texas is Texas," I simply mean that it's hard to categorize it as any one monolithic entity - you can't say "Texas is a southern state," or "Texas is a western state," or "Texas is diverse," or "Texas is not diverse," or "Texas is conservative," or "Texas is Tex Mex," because while all of these may be true, they are just PART of the truth, and to me that truth is that Texas is, well, Texas.

We've got a lot going on, because we are Texas. We're a huge state, with five of the fastest growing metro areas in the US (out of the top ten).

By the way, LOTS of Texans are familiar with the foods and cultural things you brought up (me, for one, but also many, many east Texans - and we're the most populous region of the state).

Of course each state is unique. I don't think anyone would claim that Louisiana, or Georgia, or Pennsylvania, or New York, or (fill in the blank) are not really unique places (not sure I can apply that mantra to Indiana, but I digress). And when I lived in Georgia, and Louisiana, and Virginia, and Tennessee, and California, (etc etc - I've lived in a lot of states), I enjoyed my time there and appreciated what those states have to offer. And I am ESPECIALLY a fan of Louisiana, Georgia, and Virginia. Wow, those are interesting and intriguing states, with fascinating histories.

But there is a reason that Texas is particularly unique, and that's mainly because of it's size and placement within the US - at least that's my opinion. And our huge border with Mexico, our history as a sovereign nation, our shared history with both the south and the American west (two distinctly different experiences) - among a myriad of other elements - these all create a unique flavor to our state.

And I don't apologize for it or intend to minimize it. Yes, I am proud to be a Texan. I am extremely grateful I wound up here (to my surprise) twenty five years ago, and I plan to live and die here - gratefully and with plenty of enjoyment. I don't mean this in an arrogant way - I mean it in a grateful way - but if some people want to insist that my gratitude is arrogance, well, sometimes what we see in a situation comes from our own perspective and character.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:21 AM

78 posts, read 78,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Maybe if you said it, it would come from arrogance, but when I say it, it doesn't...
All of this response to a post that is 3 years old?

Old 08-31-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheMatrix View Post
Sure, why not?

Truth is eternal.

Do you have anything relevant to add to the discussion?

Old 08-31-2016, 10:29 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheMatrix View Post
Here's what City-Data thinks about that - it's prominently displayed on every old thread that hasn't been closed. Don't know why some folks get upset enough about threads being revived (as City-Data encourages) to comment on it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas