U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 08:29 AM

10,058 posts, read 10,263,753 times
Is Texas like that stereotype? Parts of it are, but certainly not all of it. I certainly would not put Austin, Dallas (or even Fort Worth), San Antonio, or Houston in that boat because they are nothing like that.

The best thing I can say is that unlike California, in Texas people in the large cities think extremely different from people in the rural areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 09:00 AM

16,172 posts, read 21,815,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Is Texas like that stereotype? Parts of it are, but certainly not all of it. I certainly would not put Austin, Dallas (or even Fort Worth), San Antonio, or Houston in that boat because they are nothing like that.

The best thing I can say is that unlike California, in Texas people in the large cities think extremely different from people in the rural areas.
How many rural areas have you lived in, justme02? Because this does not fit in with the people that I've known in rural areas and I've lived in cities, small towns, and rural areas in Texas over the course of my life.

This statement, itself, common as it is, is a form of stereotyping.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:02 AM

4,877 posts, read 3,085,360 times
I'd be willing to bet television & the Internet have brought most rural areas out of their isolation so they aren't nearly as provincial as urbanites might think.

They aren't all "Cousin Eddies"

Old 01-09-2011, 10:31 AM

18,516 posts, read 15,486,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
How many rural areas have you lived in, justme02? Because this does not fit in with the people that I've known in rural areas and I've lived in cities, small towns, and rural areas in Texas over the course of my life.

the answer is none. he is definitely going by stereotype being a none native

Old 01-09-2011, 10:36 AM

15,831 posts, read 19,084,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

That's a huge misconception on City Data.

It's always "People in the major cities aren't like that, but everyone else is". I grew up in Waco and use to always hang out in rural areas around central Texas and I knew no one like that. Please give us more credit than that and stop trying to reinforce those same stereotypes on us that are forced on the bigger cities in Texas.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:53 AM

2,405 posts, read 3,738,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
That's a huge misconception on City Data.

It's always "People in the major cities aren't like that, but everyone else is". I grew up in Waco and use to always hang out in rural areas around central Texas and I knew no one like that. Please give us more credit than that and stop trying to reinforce those same stereotypes on us that are forced on the bigger cities in Texas.
I kind of like people being ignorant of Texas outside the major metros. It gives me the option of playing the stereotypes to my advantage.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 AM

16,172 posts, read 21,815,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I kind of like people being ignorant of Texas outside the major metros. It gives me the option of playing the stereotypes to my advantage.
This is true. There's many a person who's stereotyped someone as ignorant or not very smart because of where they're from or what their accent is only to find out their error too late and to their regret.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:09 AM

15,831 posts, read 19,084,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Haha, yeah it's fun when outsiders think that way, but it just annoys me when Texans try and stereotype other Texas cities.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:14 AM

4,877 posts, read 3,085,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Haha, yeah it's fun when outsiders think that way, but it just annoys me when Texans try and stereotype other Texas cities.
Especially the flamewars betweeen Dallasites & Houstonians

Old 01-09-2011, 11:27 AM

9,785 posts, read 10,812,460 times
On the accent thing, I have always wondered what it is about a Texas/Southern accent that -- in the minds of many in other parts of the country -- marks one as backward and ignorant?

*laughing a bit* I have a distant cousin/good friend from Mississippi by way of North Alabama, and she is as educated as they come. BUT...she told me once that when she opens her mouth among some northerners, "my percieved IQ plummets 20 points!"

Anyway, I recall some years ago there was a program on PBS called "American Tongues" and that topic came up. Molly Ivans (a native Texan whom some of you probably remember) was interviewed and she said something about it getting started during the WWII era with the movies. There was always some bubba Texas/Southern boy who talked slow and appeared dim-witted. And then of course there was the Beverly Hillbillies and such.

Another "theory" is that this part of the country has been traditionally rural (up until 1960 or so, most Texans lived in rural areas and small towns). Thus, in the minds of many in the urban areas of the northeast and such, there was a tendency to think of "country-bumkins".

I don't know...but the topic is a contemplative one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas