U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:32 PM

5,002 posts, read 3,328,337 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm fixin' to contemplate what you said about accents.

My ex-SIL, who has a Master's degree from UT, sounds just like Paula Deen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 12:45 PM

1,366 posts, read 1,522,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Is Texas like that stereotype? Parts of it are, but certainly not all of it. I certainly would not put Austin, Dallas (or even Fort Worth), San Antonio, or Houston in that boat because they are nothing like that.

The best thing I can say is that unlike California, in Texas people in the large cities think extremely different from people in the rural areas.
Funny thing is that's pretty much the whole state! DFW and Houston combined make up half the population as it is. Yet we get stereotyped by a smaller portion of the population who live in say rural east or west Texas. I think people see those characteristics as blaringly definitive while the rest of us "regular" people go unnoticed.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:48 PM

1,366 posts, read 1,522,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
How many rural areas have you lived in, justme02? Because this does not fit in with the people that I've known in rural areas and I've lived in cities, small towns, and rural areas in Texas over the course of my life.

This statement, itself, common as it is, is a form of stereotyping.
True, but there is definitely some truth in what he said, having lived in Azle, Whiskey Flats and stayed in other rural ares myself. I wouldn't say he's too far off base.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:49 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,716,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
True, but there is definitely some truth in what he said, having lived in Azle, Whiskey Flats and stayed in other rural ares myself. I wouldn't say he's too far off base.
Having been to Austin, Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth and San Antonio. You can find many people who exhibit these characteristics within these areas.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:10 PM

16,399 posts, read 22,652,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Having been to Austin, Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth and San Antonio. You can find many people who exhibit these characteristics within these areas.
Heck, you can find people who exhibit those characteristics in pretty much any state in the Union, if that's what you're expecting to find or looking for to shore up your preconceived notions.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:08 PM

47,586 posts, read 35,330,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
El Paso. When you threw in El Paso; that threw me off. El Paso is neither Liberal nor a haven for gays.
El Paso is about as liberal as it gets - in many political races it's no Republican or other Conservative need bother to run. In many precincts there is absolutely no chance a non-liberal democrat could ever win. Never.

It might not be a gay-haven like San Francisco but many gays live here and do just fine. El Paso is not Bible belt by any stretch of the imagination - in fact it would be difficult to find a city with more nudie bars and strip clubs and advertisement everywhere for them.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:37 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,716,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
El Paso is about as liberal as it gets - in many political races it's no Republican or other Conservative need bother to run. In many precincts there is absolutely no chance a non-liberal democrat could ever win. Never.

It might not be a gay-haven like San Francisco but many gays live here and do just fine. El Paso is not Bible belt by any stretch of the imagination - in fact it would be difficult to find a city with more nudie bars and strip clubs and advertisement everywhere for them.

High Latino population. They usually along with most minorites always vote democratic. It appears you may be confusing liberal with democratic and I'm not seeing the correlation with strip clubs/nudie bars and liberalness.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:42 PM

15,992 posts, read 25,842,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This is true. There's many a person who's stereotyped someone as ignorant or not very smart because of where they're from or what their accent is only to find out their error too late and to their regret.
Stereotype against type:

Ol' J.R. Ewing liked it when people thought he was a dumb Texan. That distracted them as he moved in for the kill.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:38 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,763,978 times
You haven't offended anyone (except maybe those who fit this description) Unfortunately, Texas fits many of the stereotypes that it has throughout the nation and world. It most certainly is a cowboy, gun slingin state with tons and tons of uneducated rednecks. Of course, there are some higher end people here, but they mainly reside in the nicer parts of the big metro areas. Absolutely anti-gay. I can't conceive of why a gay person would come within 100 miles of the borders of Texas. Don't know much about the beer drinking, but down here "deepindahearta" they love to drink beer while watching the longhorns high school football team!! HOOK EM HORNS (whatever that means).

Can't vouch for the numbers of trailerparks either. Ever been to Misery??? yikes!!!

If you must deal with Texas in anyway, stick to the big cities like Dallas and Houston. There is some culture there and at times you can forget that Texas surrounds you (although it's not easy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post
Is it just like the stereotype that Britain and maybe America see it as?

(Dont want to offend)

The way we see it (Or hear it) is, country lovers, very religious, anti-gay, sit and watch NASCAR with a beer (Or 10) in hand. (I know the next bit is wrong) But we also see most of Texas as trailer park folk.

Is it close? Way off? little bits?

Im not sure but id like to find out how badly we have stereotyped Texas and its people without trying to offend your good selves.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:11 PM

2,280 posts, read 3,121,364 times
More like book 'em horns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas