U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-08-2011, 09:52 AM

6,581 posts, read 10,464,280 times
Please remember that Texas' unemployment rate is still hovering close to 10%. No, it's not like MI and CA with rates in the teens, but it is still not all wine and roses here.

As others have said, you MUST have a car in Texas. Public transportation here is not reliable, and there are many cities that have NONE. Arlington, where the Super Bowl is being played, has no public transportation.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 10:08 AM

47,586 posts, read 34,395,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadytoMove2? View Post
Are there any areas you can recommend that are affordable ($500-$700/month rent) but not public housing/low income type areas? My fiance are young and looking to get established - he is a highschool math teacher and I am a personal chef. So I would love to be somewhere that is affordable for us to live yet where I can reach my target market that has disposable income to afford and/or would need personal chef services. It would be nice if I could find somewhere that has consistent growth, but not so oversaturated that my small business will fail or get lost among others. Those are my priorities - but other things I would like to see in my new city are:

easy access to freeways, or enough stores in walking distance
reliable public transportation
not too much wildlife in close reach (snakes, spiders)
decent amount of culture/city activites (ethnic festivals, museums)
nice mix of 'eclectic' restaurants, boutiques (not just standard chains)
locals that aren't too snobb, but rather warm and welcoming (more of a small town feel)
centrally located to smaller towns/suburbs
nightlife is not important
climate/seasons that do not have extreme weather conditions, including uncomfortable southern humidity, dessert like heat, some snow is ok

If I could find a city/town that has a reasonable cost of living but it is situated with easy access to areas where residents have disposable income and a lifestyle where a personal chef could be useful, that would be ideal...

I know I listed alot, even if you could help me with one or two of my concerns that would be amazing... I'm in Michigan right now, and anywhere is better than here lol
It depends on how you rank all those.

As far as weather, low humidity and more moderate temperatures - El Paso beats out the rest of Texas. Also El Paso has skipped the recession. The federal government is pouring money into El Paso - much of it for the military base expansion - so that makes for some opportunities but other cities in Texas are better for jobs because of other factors. It's a toss-up - and one place might not fit your list perfectly. The hotter, humid cities have more jobs and lower costs of living.

For someone from Michigan, the heat of much of Texas could seem oppressive.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:25 PM

8,120 posts, read 10,774,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Right. And I'm not sure how much a "personal chef" lifestyle is in demand in some of those cities, at least not enough to make a full time job out of it. Perhaps I just run with a different crowd, but most of the people I know from those cities are more laid back, going out for a nice meal if they feel like it... in this economy where most are cutting back, I would be surprised if she found a lot of demand for that sort of position.
A good amount of the extremely wealthy families do have house managers, personal assistants, and personal chefs. However, it is a very closed circle where references from friends/ colleagues are critical. You can't just show up in Dallas or Houston and expect Lynn Wyatt, Ross Perot, or Mark Cuban to let you into their personal home and "inner circle." Two friends of mine are personal assistants to mega-wealthy families in Dallas and both got jobs through connections....which OP doesn't have in Texas. Those families don't place "help wanted" ads in the paper or on craigslist. It's all word-of-mouth and possibly through exclusive search agencies.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:26 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,477,445 times
Texas isnt booming it is struggling. Texas had more people go from above the poverty line to under the poverty line than anywhere else in the country over the past couple of years. Its foreclosure rate rose substantially in 2010 whereas most parts of the country experienced declines in foreclosures. Also it has a $25 billion+ dollar State budget deficit which will mean major cuts in what are already meager services. Texas leads the nation in the % of jobs being minimum wage jobs. The State refuses to do anything about illegal immigration while pointing the finger at Washington, which is pretty much what they do for every problem in the State. What happened to the 'buck stops here'?

If Texas is the test ground for these right wing principles you hear about that are supposed to make the life of the average citizen better. Its a failure.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:16 PM

123 posts, read 150,121 times
definately need a car when coming here.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:20 PM

12,308 posts, read 13,191,972 times
Booming? Not anymore...

Making it? Yes

Speaking of which, Albertson's grocery store is getting rid of 7 under performing stores state wide. Tyler is one of them.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:35 PM

15,969 posts, read 25,397,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery'sMommy View Post
You might also look into east Dallas- there's some historic neighborhoods, Junius Heights and Hollywood Heights, that are pedestrian/biker friendly. Rent will be much cheaper in Dallas vs Austin, but I'd still expect to pay $800+ for something safe. There's a bus line into downtown from the east side and Dallas is slowly adding in more light rail (see DART.org - Dallas Area Rapid Transit for details).
This is my area and it really does have small-town feel and the laid-back aspects of Austin. Plus very large shade trees and White Rock Lake with its jogging and bicycle trails going out in several directions. I live in Junius Heights and can catch a bus two blocks north on Gaston or a block south on Abrams. Also there is a DART on call service.

DART has / will have almost 100 miles of light rail, and the McKinney Avenue trolley (MATA) is being expanded downtown (runs up to West Village at Lemmon - the Cityplace DART subway station). Dallas is also set to have a couple of streetcar lines opening in the next few years. And the TRE heavy rail goes to Fort Worth and the Mid-Cities from Dallas Union Station (also a DART rail stop).

I have a very good friend in Lakewood who is a personal chef - and many of the restaurant chefs and owners live in this area.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:22 PM

4 posts, read 3,676 times
Locally here in the Midland/Odessa area I see in the want-ads advertisements for oilfield drivers and other laborer type jobs so there is work for one who isn't afraid to get their hands dirty. It fed me when I was a single father with kids. I work for the government now so am somewhat insulated from economic fluctuations. My wife substitute teaches when she wants and 9 times out of 10 gets her pick of jobs. That may be an option for your husband until he goes full time. As other posters have said, the math credentials wil probably be what gets your husband the job. I can't honestly give an accurate starting salary for teachers (42K?) (try the Ector county school website Ector K-12) but the degreed subs earn around $110 a day. If you have at least 60 hours of college your salary is $85 a day. If you like red sunsets caused by occasional blowing dust then consider West Texas, otherwise you may do better in the eastern half of the state. Rent here seems consistent, maybe a bit cheaper than, with other areas of Texas. For example, a 3/2 house across the street from me goes for @1000 a month (not mine, I don't have any) but it is well maintained. Google street view the 1700 block of Petroleum Drive in Odessa for an example. For food I see mainly the fast stuff but there are a few good family owned mexican food establishments here. This the dominant fare in this region. If you have something unique and if you can survive the start-up lag the maybe you could made a go of it here with your own line, word does get out (so does radio advertising) . The community colleges and University of Texas Permian Basin usually have something going on that may be considered 'cultured' but if zoo and aquarium stuff is what you are looking for then the Metroplex (Dallas/Fort Worth area), Austin, ect.. (eastern cities) may be what you need. Do forget the public transportation, a car (preferably a pickup with a welding bed ) is needed; I remember Detroit as a child and this area is not at all congested like it is there. Just kidding about the pickup. The summers here do get hot, sometimes 100+, but one does acclimate. Compared to Michigan the winters are mild; the low tonight will be around +10 but this is highly unusual. It's generally around the freezing mark overnight in January. Since the rest of the posters have already covered your questions, Good luck on your move!

Old 01-11-2011, 02:44 AM

1,222 posts, read 974,711 times
We continue to add about 300-400,000 people each year so yes you can say were booming or growing despite the Budget Deflict, Texas still has $6 Billion of Stimulus left & $8 Billion rainey day fund, and continuing to add jobs.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:39 AM

1,868 posts, read 2,225,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
We continue to add about 300-400,000 people each year so yes you can say were booming or growing despite the Budget Deflict, Texas still has $6 Billion of Stimulus left & $8 Billion rainey day fund, and continuing to add jobs.
But we're laying off teachers & I haven't heard of any demand for personal chefs.

To the OP (& all the posters who think that things will be great for a newbie w/o a job lined up):

Public Transportation? Mild Climate? Lots of companies hiring & paying big bucks? huh?

We need to give these Grapes of Wrath in Reverse type people the straight poop. If you don't have a job lined up already, you'll starve. (or you'll be eating those snakes & other types of critters that you don't want to be near.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas