U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 06:25 PM

55 posts, read 127,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimgapeach View Post
I have been looking into Neuvo Progreso and it seems a little better than Reynosa or Metamoros. Much quieter, which is want I am used to. I am currently looking into jobs in all these areas on this side and hopefully it will not be too difficult.
My main concern is our son's schooling. He will be in the 4th grade. Anyone have any ideas on how to get him schooling on this side while living on the other? Anyone have any ideas on housing in these areas? Neuvo Progreso or Reynosa? Newspapers, classifieds,etc.

You should call the various school district offices to find out about getting your son in school. To find housing in Reynosa, it's probably best that you come in person and hire a chofer to take you all over the city. You can't get a good-enough idea by just reading the classifieds. Expect to pay at least 4,000 Pesos/month for a small place with a/c and hot water, with telephone access. You can read the Reynosa newspaper online at
::El Mańana de Reynosa, Tamaulipas::
I don't think there's a newspaper in N.P. You'll have to just ask alot of the locals if they know someone renting out a home, and you're bound to find a good lead. You may have a very difficult time finding a decent place there with a/c and hot water, so you may have to make a big move-in investment. The big advantage of being in N.P., is that once you cross into the U.S., you're within just 40 minutes of all the hospitals in Hidalgo and Cameron counties. The centralization thus provides for more work flexibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 06:53 PM

6,766 posts, read 11,040,768 times
From what I understand, American Citizens can't go to public school in Mexico unless they pay hefty tuition. But it's difficult to get a child into USA public schools without a US address. Sounds like a catch-22... You also may have difficulty renewing a Texas nursing license without being a US/Texas resident...

My in-laws live in Del Rio and love it there. I also have a friend who is a doctor in McAllen and lives in Weslaco and loves it. She used to work in Brownsville and liked it better.

Have you considered applying for legal status for your husband since he's now married to a US citizen?

Old 07-17-2007, 07:09 PM

3,494 posts, read 9,745,239 times
no difficulty renewing a TX RN license without being a TX resident or US resident for that matter. i was living in GA for three years and continued to renew my TX RN license by paying them the 80 bucks or whatever every year. matter of fact, i can apply for a MT or WY or CA RN license-without living in any of those states or any of the other 50 states. just fill out the application, pay your money, and you got one. luckily TX RN licensure is a compact state so it covers us with reciprocity to practice in about over a dozen states! so it is the one that gives you most bang for the buck. lots of traveler nurses buy a TX RN license just cuz of that reason!

Old 07-17-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
But it's difficult to get a child into USA public schools without a US address. You also may have difficulty renewing a Texas nursing license without being a US/Texas resident...
Do the schools verify the address, I wonder, or can someone just buy an address from a UPS store or other mailbox address store? I suppose if that won't work, then one can always pay off someone to use their home address for school reasons or licensing reasons.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:43 PM

8,063 posts, read 11,635,867 times
You have to produce proof of address, including a current utility bill showing service at the address, to register a student for school on the U.S. side. No, they don't physically check but if a teacher or administrator needs to contact the parents, they'd better be at the address and phone number listed. Most schools call the home if a student is absent from school (attendance=money so they're on top of it!) and they have been known to send truant officers to the home. (If the kid wasn't sick or didn't have a good excuse for being absent, one district I worked for had the truant officer bring the student to school!)

Old 07-17-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
You have to produce proof of address, including a current utility bill showing service at the address, to register a student for school on the U.S. side. No, they don't physically check but if a teacher or administrator needs to contact the parents, they'd better be at the address and phone number listed. Most schools call the home if a student is absent from school (attendance=money so they're on top of it!) and they have been known to send truant officers to the home. (If the kid wasn't sick or didn't have a good excuse for being absent, one district I worked for had the truant officer bring the student to school!)
So, if all one needs is a utility bill in their name to show proof of address in the school district, then all you need to do is pay off somebody like me to change their water bill billing name to yours, while stating that you live at that address. Instead of a home phone, which many people here no longer even have, one can surely provide a cell phone number to the school. If the kid is absent from school from being sick, you just need to leave the cell phone home with the kid, just in case the school calls. It looks like a manageable situation, with perhaps the most difficult part being that you need to drive and pick up the kid from school every day, and having that coincide with your work schedule.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:42 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,628,200 times
Seems like it would just be easier to pay for Catholic school. 3k is cheap.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:00 PM

"So, if all one needs is a utility bill in their name to show proof of address in the school district, then all you need to do is pay off somebody like me to change their water bill billing name to yours, while stating that you live at that address."

I don't think it would be easy to do that. The Border uses utility bills a lot for proof of residency and there's more to establishing service than in other areas. It's been awhile, but if I remember correctly, I had to take my lease and something signed by the landlord to the utility office to prove that I lived at the address and was responsible for the bills. When I bought a house, I had to show proof, too, but it was easier because I already had an account with the utility.

By federal law, schools aren't allowed to ask questions about students' immigration status so this is what the Border school districts use to try to establish residency. Otherwise, they'd have to educate all of northern Mexico! We still educated some Mexican students who would be registered by close family members who did indeed live in the district. Many of the students would stay with their relatives during the week and then return to Mexico on weekends. That's the only foolproof way of having Mexican students attend Texas schools -- have a relative in the school district take responsibility for the kids during the school year.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
The Border uses utility bills a lot for proof of residency and there's more to establishing service than in other areas. It's been awhile, but if I remember correctly, I had to take my lease and something signed by the landlord to the utility office to prove that I lived at the address and was responsible for the bills. When I bought a house, I had to show proof, too, but it was easier because I already had an account with the utility.
Maybe that's how it is in some RGV cities, but as far as I know, here in the City of Alamo, water service can be set up by phone, with a check for the security deposit in the mail. The City of Alamo website doesn't mention anything about showing proof of living at the address, as being a requirement to establish service there.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:01 PM

I've only dealt with Brownsville. Maybe it's different because the city owns the utilities (PUB). (which stinks, btw. No electric choice!!!! Grrrrr)

Still, I'm really not one for deception because it usually backfires at some point. If people choose to move to Mexico, then they need to either send their kids to Mexican schools or pay tuition for a school in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas