Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:49 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Because, the Dallas Galleria has to compete with NorthPark Center as the regions prime upscale shopping destination.

Houston's Galleria is the only big game in town.
For now at least. The Woodlands Mall area is turning upscale (NM is suppose to be building a department store there very soon).

Old 01-22-2011, 09:17 AM

333 posts, read 638,983 times
Woodlands isn't in Houston. If you wanna include suburban upscale malls, Dallas has Stonebriar (Nordstrom) and Shops at Willow Bend (Neiman Marcus)

Old 01-22-2011, 09:31 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
For now at least. The Woodlands Mall area is turning upscale (NM is suppose to be building a department store there very soon).
I didn't know that. Good news.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,783,820 times
Although bigger, Houston's Galleria is definitely uglier than Galleria Dallas. Houston's Galleria offers a "ghetto atmosphere", cheap stands in the way selling junk, and hideous store interiors (yes, I'm talking about stores like Chanel and YSL.) On the other hand Galleria Dallas is much much cleaner and airier, brighter, and better taken care of; there aren't as many stores, but they are more attractive and inviting than Houston's deteriorating stores. The Westin at Houston's Galleria is a piece of work and should me renovated immediately. The interior is dreadfully dated, lackluster, and literally stinky. On the other hand, Galleria Dallas' Westin was completely renovated a couple years ago along with the whole mall. Houston Galleria is mixmatched, horribly dated, junky, hot, humid, dark, dingy, bigger, more crowded, older, and more supported (for whatever reason.) Galleria Dallas is in a much better part of town, modern, smaller, cleaner, brighter, happier, less busy, better location, better laid out, easier in and out, and much cleaner and friendlier people. By the way, a better comparison to Houston's Galleria is Dallas' Northpark Center, which blows the socks off of Houston's Galleria.

Galleria Dallas:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/galleri...7630306275702/
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=houst...w=1440&bih=764

Houston's Galleria:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GalleriaShops.jpg
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=houst...w=1440&bih=764

Last edited by BCB; 01-11-2013 at 01:42 AM..

Old 01-11-2013, 07:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Although bigger, Houston's Galleria is definitely uglier than Galleria Dallas. Houston's Galleria offers a "ghetto atmosphere", cheap stands in the way selling junk, and hideous store interiors (yes, I'm talking about stores like Chanel and YSL.) On the other hand Galleria Dallas is much much cleaner and airier, brighter, and better taken care of; there aren't as many stores, but they are more attractive and inviting than Houston's deteriorating stores. The Westin at Houston's Galleria is a piece of work and should me renovated immediately. The interior is dreadfully dated, lackluster, and literally stinky. On the other hand, Galleria Dallas' Westin was completely renovated a couple years ago along with the whole mall. Houston Galleria is mixmatched, horribly dated, junky, hot, humid, dark, dingy, bigger, more crowded, older, and more supported (for whatever reason.) Galleria Dallas is in a much better part of town, modern, smaller, cleaner, brighter, happier, less busy, better location, better laid out, easier in and out, and much cleaner and friendlier people. By the way, a better comparison to Houston's Galleria is Dallas' Northpark Center, which blows the socks off of Houston's Galleria.

Galleria Dallas:
The Galleria - Dallas, TX 2012 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Google Image Result for http://micello.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/houston-galleria.jpg

Houston's Galleria:
File:GalleriaShops.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Google Image Result for http://micello.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/houston-galleria.jpg
Agreed. You can't fairly compare Dallas's Galleria to Houston's Galleria when Dallas has the multiacre monument to snottiness that is Northpark and Houston has nothing similar.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:57 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:

Galleria Dallas:

Houston's Galleria:

Ghetto??? This is exactly why I don't care too much at all for Galleria Dallas or NorthPark Center. It's too snobbish and not inviting to the common consumer. With that said Galleria Houston is much better overall then Galleria Dallas and Northpark center. Northpark center is more pleasing to the eye then all 3 but it's boring,dull and like I said before not inviting to the average consumer. Galleria Houston is the most progressive experience when you do visit a mall in Texas. You see all kinds of people from every different class,race,background,religion, etc. You'll see celebs weekly blending in with the people. And not to mention it's the biggest mall in Texas and has much more to offer.

Plus it's located in the Galleria/Uptown area which offers alot more then the areas surrounding Galleria Dallas/Northpark center.

Who need's a couple of art pieces in a mall like Northpark when I can just take a date to the Williams Waterwall right across the street and look up at the Williams Tower? Not to mention you have plenty of other shopping and dining options in the area. In Galleria I never feel like I'm being profiled by snobbish people that are not of color. In Galleria how could you be profile when you see everybody, it's a much more dynamic experience. Sometimes if i'm just that bored I don't even shop in the Galleria I just go and people watch.

The last time I went to the Galleria Dallas I took my ex girlfriend from California to that mall on a Tuesday night and it was dead as hell. The only few people that were there were tourist and I couldn't believe it was that dead. You could hear a pin drop. I don't care what day it is in Houston's Galleria it will never be that dead ever. If you're a snobbish person who doesn't like to see the sight of many minorities then by all means go to Northpark mall a beautiful looking mall unlike many other malls in appearance but lacks no soul or energy.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:00 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,783,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Ghetto??? This is exactly why I don't care too much at all for Galleria Dallas or NorthPark Center. It's too snobbish and not inviting to the common consumer. With that said Galleria Houston is much better overall then Galleria Dallas and Northpark center. Northpark center is more pleasing to the eye then all 3 but it's boring,dull and like I said before not inviting to the average consumer. Galleria Houston is the most progressive experience when you do visit a mall in Texas. You see all kinds of people from every different class,race,background,religion, etc. You'll see celebs weekly blending in with the people. And not to mention it's the biggest mall in Texas and has much more to offer.

Plus it's located in the Galleria/Uptown area which offers alot more then the areas surrounding Galleria Dallas/Northpark center.

Who need's a couple of art pieces in a mall like Northpark when I can just take a date to the Williams Waterwall right across the street and look up at the Williams Tower? Not to mention you have plenty of other shopping and dining options in the area. In Galleria I never feel like I'm being profiled by snobbish people that are not of color. In Galleria how could you be profile when you see everybody, it's a much more dynamic experience. Sometimes if i'm just that bored I don't even shop in the Galleria I just go and people watch.

The last time I went to the Galleria Dallas I took my ex girlfriend from California to that mall on a Tuesday night and it was dead as hell. The only few people that were there were tourist and I couldn't believe it was that dead. You could hear a pin drop. I don't care what day it is in Houston's Galleria it will never be that dead ever. If you're a snobbish person who doesn't like to see the sight of many minorities then by all means go to Northpark mall a beautiful looking mall unlike many other malls in appearance but lacks no soul or energy.
I'm sorry that you don't like clean, well taken care of, and modern malls. I don't have anything against Houston's Galleria, but I don't have anything for it…anything at all. It appears that since you're from Houston that you are die hard for your town, and that's understandable. What I don't understand is why you try to act like Houston's Galleria is better because of racial diversity, which in a way is "racist" while also discrediting the negatives of the mall. Since when did racial, religious, and class differences make a mall better? And you say Northpark is stuckup? Northpark is indeed in a fine part of town (the Park Cities are just to the west and south), but I guarantee you that there is "diversity" at Northpark, and that's not a bad thing. Also, if Houston's Galleria had artwork like Northpark Center, I would bet that you would also consider that to be another reason why Houston's Galleria is "better." Parking? Galleria Dallas has five nice, big, and easy-to-navigate above ground parking garages with another garage below ground. Houston's Galleria? Forget about counting. It literally is like a blind person (no offense) "planned" it. Horrible design. I was there yesterday and had a nightmare of a time finding my way around that underground mouse-maze. There was even a carwash/vacuum group of people doing business underground at Houston's Galleria which took up nearly twenty despirately-needed parking spaces. A nice family asked us if we knew were an elevator was because they had a stroller, we simply said we were sorry and didn't know. There is no signage down there and that really needs to be fixed. Also, not trying to harp on Houston's Galleria but there is a lot to say about it, at Houston's Galleria, you are allowed to park directly on Macy's and Saks Fifth Avenue's roof. What?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Galleria Dallas and the other nice malls in the Dallas area do a better job keeping the same theme throughout their shopping centers. Houston Galleria needs a renovation to make the mall more updated and create a common theme. I am curious as to how much of the 2.4 million square ft at Houston Galleria are in the Galleria IV section, because this part of the mall is a complete dump and I don't even think it's used. I think it should be torn down and perhaps create an outdoor portion of the hall in that place.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:45 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
They're malls, people. MALLS.

GD is everything that many want a mall to be. GH is more eclectic, though, and it remains a symbol of the city. For all of its refuse and mismatched ambience, it has the most life and character that you could possibly expect from an indoor mall.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:09 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:

Galleria Dallas:

Houston's Galleria:
If you thought the Houston Galleria had a ghetto atmosphere than I'm guessing you'd faint like an old Victorian lady if you ever stepped into Greenspoint Mall or Northwest Mall. If you really want to step back in time take a stroll through San Jacinto Mall in Baytown. You'd swear it was 1970. The Houston Galleria may not be cohesive but each section is very nice. I love the dark tones of the section with the ice rink and I also love the bright and shiny section where Nordstroms and Macy's are located. I go there a few times a month because I live in walking distance and I've never noticed it to be hot, dingy, junky, or humid. Even the worst malls in Houston can't be described that way.

I think if you didn't go overboard with trashing the Houston Galleria people would take you more seriously. I love shopping at Northpark and the Dallas Galleria.

It's great you love the Dallas malls but you don't have to trash the Houston Galleria just to make the Dallas malls superior.

Really their just malls. Which is why I have no problem going to San Jacinto Mall if I'm in the area and they have a particular store that I like. I don't have to go to the most upscale and beautiful mall just to buy my everyday clothes. It's just a mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas