Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:41 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Are we talking upscale or exclusive? When it comes to the availability of exclusive brands, the Galleria area in Houston is pretty much all you have when it comes to these things being actually concentrated. Outside of the Galleria, you're getting more into the Lane Bryant/Ann Taylor variety.
Actually, Houston has some great boutique shopping:

Tootsies (Home) is a mini-department store in Highland Village. It's owned by the same people who operate the Tootsie's in Dallas, but the selection in Houston is much more high-end: entire rooms full of Etro, Blumarine, Moschino, Dolce & Gabbana and the American designers like Lela Rose, Ralph Lauren, etc. Great shoes and smaller selection of contemporary (Theory, Alice + Olivia, denim) than the Dallas store.

Joseph is also in Highland Village and has a good selection of designer shoes: Prada, etc.

Sloan Hall (Sloan/Hall - Gift Store) is a great gift store, similar to the jewelry & home selection at 4510 in Dallas.

Muse, Hemline, and Bella Boutique are good contemporary boutiques focusing on Milly, DVF, J Brand jeans, etc.

From my trips to Houston, I think Dallas has a better indie boutique scene (Sebastian's, Korshak, 4510, Melanie Gayle, VoD, Carla Martinegro), but to say Houston outside the Galleria is all Lane Bryant and Talbot's (or whatever) is unfair.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:45 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
That's what I meant; Houston's upscale shopping is confined to the inner loop. I think that's a better set up because it helps bring more growth, developments and vibrancy to the city core.
No it's not.

Market Street The Woodlands

Old 01-18-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
That's what I meant; Houston's upscale shopping is confined to the inner loop. I think that's a better set up because it helps bring more growth, developments and vibrancy to the city core.
So is Dallas' upscale shopping. The area inclusive of NorthPark, HP Village, Snider Plaza, Preston Center, and West Village is about 2 miles wide (distance from farthest west point in Preston Center to furthest east point in NP) by 4-5 miles north/south (distance between NP & WV). It's a pretty compact area as the wealthy clientele needed to support these retailers is located in the heart of the 8-10 square mile area I just defined.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
You need more than 2 upscale stores- Hemline & Tiffany- to have a successful upscale shopping destination. Charming Charlie's and Francesca's are cute stores, but their business model is all about cheap & trendy knock-offs....that's not really the kind of neighbor a real upscale store (like a bridal salon selling Reem Acra, Judd Waddell, & Carolina Herrera or a shoe store stocked with Zanotti's, Lou's, and Choos) wants.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:05 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
^ Give it time. The Woodlands has to growth and demographics to attract many more upscale options.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:35 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Actually, Houston has some great boutique shopping:

Tootsies (Home) is a mini-department store in Highland Village. It's owned by the same people who operate the Tootsie's in Dallas, but the selection in Houston is much more high-end: entire rooms full of Etro, Blumarine, Moschino, Dolce & Gabbana and the American designers like Lela Rose, Ralph Lauren, etc. Great shoes and smaller selection of contemporary (Theory, Alice + Olivia, denim) than the Dallas store.

Joseph is also in Highland Village and has a good selection of designer shoes: Prada, etc.

Sloan Hall (Sloan/Hall - Gift Store) is a great gift store, similar to the jewelry & home selection at 4510 in Dallas.

Muse, Hemline, and Bella Boutique are good contemporary boutiques focusing on Milly, DVF, J Brand jeans, etc.

From my trips to Houston, I think Dallas has a better indie boutique scene (Sebastian's, Korshak, 4510, Melanie Gayle, VoD, Carla Martinegro), but to say Houston outside the Galleria is all Lane Bryant and Talbot's (or whatever) is unfair.
I know all about the places, but that was my point. A few upscale names can be found around the city, but the Galleria is the only shopping destination that is exclusive.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:14 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Galleria Dallas

There stands Dallas' 1 lonely Galleria area residential condo just to the right.

Yuck

Dallas obviously didn't get the memo its not a coastal cosmopolitan Sunbelt city (LA, SD, SF, HOU, NO, MIA) & never will be.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-19-2011 at 01:32 AM..

Old 01-19-2011, 06:13 AM

Matt, your post - yet again- is pointless. If you're going to take pictures of similar neighborhoods, the Galleria in Htown should be compared with Park Cities/Uptown areas of Dallas.

Ps/ I'm sure there's a picture of a dumpster behind the Htown Galleria somewhere on the Internet that I could post so we could all laugh and say "how ugly!" (just like your sad attempts with pictures 1 & 2 above), but I don't have the time or energy to play your pathetic little games. Nice try though- we all see through you.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:11 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas obviously didn't get the memo its not a coastal cosmopolitan Sunbelt city (LA, SD, SF, HOU, NO, MIA) & never will be.
And evidently you didn't get the memo that Houston is nowhere near as coastal as the most of those cities. It's geographically more like Baton Rouge than New Orleans. Stop trying to turn Houston into a beach city. It's never going to happen. Many Houstonians have probably never even seen Galveston Bay in their life. And it's clear that you're obsessed with Houston being viewed as similar to Los Angeles, but it isn't, so just stop.

If Houston is allowed to overdo it with the palms, Dallas can have some too

Old 01-19-2011, 09:24 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
And evidently you didn't get the memo that Houston is nowhere near as coastal as the most of those cities. It's geographically more like Baton Rouge than New Orleans. Stop trying to turn Houston into a beach city. It's never going to happen. Many Houstonians have probably never even seen Galveston Bay in their life. And it's clear that you're obsessed with Houston being viewed as similar to Los Angeles, but it isn't, so just stop.

If Houston is allowed to overdo it with the palms, Dallas can have some too
Houston may not be, but the metropolitan area is very coastal. Baton Rouge??? I think not. MetroMatt statement was unneeded, but I disagree with your statement as well. Dallas is NO Houston; Palm trees are natives to the Houston area; not to Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas