U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-28-2011, 11:41 AM

16 posts, read 18,488 times
Default After TEXAS BUDGET CAME OUT! Concerned about moving Family

Hey people. Well I had a long talk with my dad two nights ago and he shared some information about the Texas Economy. As everyone knows, the recession is hitting all the states hard. In particular California, I had plans to move my family out there at the end of this year going into 2012. My plan was to watch both bugets carefully in Texas and California and then make in informed decision wether to take the chance and move. After looking at the Texas budget proposals, it seems like Texas is going to start were California was Three years ago. So know I'm not sure what to do. I currently work for a school district I get FULL benifits for my family. My dad talked about it would not be long before Texas health care would take a big hit. I dont want to move my family into another "MESS." If anyone can offer some information that would be great.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-28-2011, 11:52 AM

573 posts, read 843,625 times
if you HAVE A JOB THERE why in the hell would you move here

schools here have tons of applications for each job to choose from

we are not near as broke as california, but we will be if people keep quitting their jobs and running from the states they helped destroy and landing in Texas unemployed

please stay where you are

Unread 01-28-2011, 12:22 PM

724 posts, read 762,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVines View Post
if you HAVE A JOB THERE why in the hell would you move here

schools here have tons of applications for each job to choose from

we are not near as broke as california, but we will be if people keep quitting their jobs and running from the states they helped destroy and landing in Texas unemployed

please stay where you are
I agree. If you have a job, what is the point of leaving? The transaction costs of a move will likely negate any benefit. Also, the Texas school budget is coming under fire and the brand new hires will be the first let go if it comes to that.

Also, Texas is not in the same mess as California. Our budget deficit is much lower than the true deficit that California has. AND, Texas will balance the budget it or come pretty close to it.

Unread 01-28-2011, 12:33 PM

10,001 posts, read 7,980,827 times
[quote=dj c reelz;17619546]Hey people. Well I had a long talk with my dad two nights ago and he shared some information about the Texas Economy. As everyone knows, the recession is hitting all the states hard. In particular California, I had plans to move my family out there at the end of this year going into 2012. My plan was to watch both bugets carefully in Texas and California and then make in informed decision wether to take the chance and move. After looking at the Texas budget proposals, it seems like Texas is going to start were California was Three years ago. So know I'm not sure what to do. I currently work for a school district I get FULL benifits for my family. My dad talked about it would not be long before Texas health care would take a big hit. I dont want to move my family into another "MESS." If anyone can offer some information that would be great.
Thanks[/QUOTe

I keep reading that the school districts over here are going to lay off even more this year, even the prosperous expanding north (NISD) and northeast (NEISD). As usual, the State gov't will have a showdown on not raising taxes at their level, but pass it on down to the local level. Not much different than what's done in calif. Which part of calif are you in? I used to live in Long Bch/LA and came here in 2005. I was born and raised here in Texas. Otherwise, I probably would not have come here.
The Republicans are also talking about seeking a "medicaid waiver" so that the State does not have to meet the Fed requirements. Even before that, Tex benefits have not been as generous as Calif's.

Ex: Before Medicare Part D, Medi-Cal allowed a limit of 6 rx per month. Texas allowed only 3 per month. Medicaid Texas would ONLY meet the minimum federal requirement. Calif went beyond that threshold.

Unread 01-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Bo

14,013 posts, read 18,776,995 times
No state is a haven from economic trouble. Texas will have to cut things like school funding and health care to balance its budget. This would not be a good place to move for a new position in education or health care at a state-funded hospital. Some hospitals in the state are privately-funded or military facilities.

Unread 01-28-2011, 01:38 PM

1,507 posts, read 2,520,057 times
Here is what I would do if I was in your situation.

Stay in California for now. You have a job with benefits and it would be irresponsible to your family to risk losing that just to move now. But start putting aside a little bit of your income each pay period into a "Moving to Texas fund". If you do lose your job and benefits in California then hopefully your MTT fund will have enough in it that you can make the move then. If you eventually decide to stay in California then you still have a nice little savings account.

Unread 01-28-2011, 01:45 PM

3,088 posts, read 3,015,140 times
oh yeah, if it's one thing we have here in California it's generous benefits...hat's why we're bankrupt

Unread 01-28-2011, 04:36 PM

8,570 posts, read 4,154,792 times
Jobs aside... if you don't know, absolutely, that you want to move to Texas then you should heavily consider your options. If you don't have a job before you get here then you're not going to get the job you want.

Aside from that, the near bankruptcy of California will not be happening in Texas.

Unread 01-29-2011, 07:28 AM

2,596 posts, read 2,276,267 times
It would be incredibly foolish for you to move to Texas. I don't mean that to be rude, but use your head. You have a job in California right now. Teaching jobs are VERY hard to get in Texas right now, and the job market will only get worse in coming years. They are laying off teachers this year across the state in order to balance the budget, which means experienced teachers who already work for districts will be pink slipped. IF there are openings due to retirement, resignation, those pink slipped teachers will get them.

Additionally, thousands of unemployed teachers from other states have swarmed Texas in recent years looking for positions. Many haven't been able to find anything either and sub lists are full in many districts. All of those people have been networking, meeting principals.

Then you have the new graduates. So many people on these boards knock those new grads when they are experienced, which is very foolish. They student teach right around hiring time, getting to know the principals and other teachers at the school. They are cheap to hire and have local connections. Principals would much rather take a chance on a nice young teacher (cheap) who has worked with their staff for a semester and has demonstrated that they are agreeable and get along with people, rather than some random person who applied from across the country. You can't tell in a 20 minute interview whether someone is going to stir up trouble and be hell to work with.

Additionally, I think prospective teachers from out of state are misinformed about their chances of even getting an interview. As others have said, principals are flooded with hundreds of applications within days of a job posting. Think they're going to interview everyone? Of course not. There's a good chance they already have someone in mind and are just posting as a formality. If not, they will probably pick 5 people to interview, probably people that someone they know can vouch for.

In short, your chances of landing a job in these situations are not promising. Five or ten years ago? Sure, people relocated and found teaching gigs all the time. That was before the economy tanked. It's important to understand the reality you're living in. If you have a job, stay there. Don't move until you actually have a signed contract in your hand somewhere else.

Unread 01-29-2011, 08:18 AM

4,628 posts, read 7,829,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post

Also, Texas is not in the same mess as California. Our budget deficit is much lower than the true deficit that California has.
Can you please provide a reliable source for this statement? The Dallas Morning News and NY Times have said otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas