U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:54 AM

109 posts, read 113,745 times
Lightbulb For everyone thinking of moving to Texas: Reality Check

There are many people moving to Texas, and many people not doing their research. Every day I see posts from people in bad situations who think that if they just up ad move to Texas, everything will be okay. Well it might make things a lot worse for you. Now this is not for people who had job transfers or stable transitions. I realize that people are moving for other reasons.

This is for people wanting out of their own state because of the economy. This is for people who read those false reports on Yahoo nd MSN, for people who think Texas is booming. Well it actually isn't. Now, yes at the beginning of the recession it wasn't hit as hard as home states, but yes it has been hit, and we are feeling it pretty bad. In fact we are in a budgetary crisis. Home prices are dropping and foreclosures are on the rise. Jobs are scarce. Yes we added jobs, but not in middle class jobs. Middle class jobs are actually being reduced. I am including a few articles that help to better explain the situation. We are being called , "The New Ireland".

I am concerned for people who already have jobs in their home states but might give them up, or single moms with a few grand thinking they can show up and life will be good, or teachers who for some reason actually think their are jobs here.

The rush to Texas reminds me of other movements like the California Gold Rush (where most people never really struck gold and many suffered), or other migration movements where people showed up in the US to realize that they would live in cramped housing situations full of sickness, work 15 hour days, etc.

I love this state and love living here, but be careful with your decisions. There is a universal economic problem everywhere.

There's One Huge State Budget Crisis That Everyone Is Refusing To Talk About

Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com

Economy gains, but not enough to ease jobs crisis | Dallas-Fort Worth Business News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Texas Budget Crisis: “America’s Ireland”? | FrontBurner

Public schools, college students, Medicaid hammered in Texas House budget plan | Texas Politics and Election News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 12:21 PM

109 posts, read 113,745 times
and I didn't even mention immigration issues :-)

Old 01-30-2011, 12:34 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,178,790 times
I work at a large corporation that is hiring and people are coming from all over the place to work here. In the parking lot cars have out of state license plates from Florida, New York, Missouri, Oklahoma, California, etc. I chat with these folks sometimes and they tell me that Texas isn't perfect - they see that - but it's way better than where they come from. One guy said to me, "You have no idea how good it is here."

So maybe it's all relative?

Old 01-30-2011, 12:51 PM

174 posts, read 217,692 times
Some people moved to Texas earlier and had secured employment, good for them. That is your personal take from one company. Tell it to the 100's of thousand of teachers getting axed this year. Tell it to all of the people I know who cannot find work. Tell it to the 1000's of college grads living at home, waiting tables swimming in debt and unable to get jobs. Texas has some major problems and it is going to get very bad, especially over the summer and into fall.

If you are thinking of moving here now, there is a lot to consider. I would start looking at other states without a looming budget crisis. I am sure that all of the economists writing those articles didn't invent a myth of hard times to come.

Texas has some MAJOR problems. And I think it is good to view the place from a holistic, realistic perspective. It is not all rosey and projections are actually pretty bad. We are not Illinois today, but we might be tomorrow. It is a disservice to people if we paint a false picture of the state of affairs in Texas.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:19 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,015,508 times
Yeah I work in the aerospace industry in Clear Lake. For now. I survived 2 rounds of layoffs in the past 6 months, and another round is coming up this Spring. Last I heard our company was looking to shed 30% of it's workforce, and we have a few thousand employees here in Houston.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:19 PM

15,066 posts, read 8,891,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHuffenHausen View Post
Tell it to the 100's of thousand of teachers getting axed this year. Tell it to all of the people I know who cannot find work. Tell it to the 1000's of college grads living at home, waiting tables swimming in debt and unable to get jobs. Texas has some major problems and it is going to get very bad, especially over the summer and into fall.

Where are your facts to back up your fantasies?

~ Texas is laying off 100's of thousands of teachers?
~ 1000's of college grads living at home?

It sounds like you are a sour Californian who got a degree and expect that because you went through college society owes you a high paying job.

Quote:
And I think it is good to view the place from a holistic, realistic perspective. It is not all rosey and projections are actually pretty bad. We are not Illinois today, but we might be tomorrow. It is a disservice to people if we paint a false picture of the state of affairs in Texas.
And I think it's a disservice to spread the BS and lies you are sprouting.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:28 PM

I don't really need to respond to that. I mean it is all over the news, every day. Look at all the major newspapers giving statements from all of the school districts about getting rid of staff. Seriously. Anyone who does not know this is either delusional or has been living in a bomb shelter. I mean did u even read the articles FiddleDee posted? Do some research before posting. Education is in crisis.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:44 PM

PolitiFact Texas | Democratic chairman says Republican leaders are calling for thousands of teacher layoffs

There, before they even found out the real numbers in the budget crisis, they were going to get rid of them. Now that we know the numbers are much much higher, thousands more than expected are getting let go.

And just a snippet from one area in Texas, "But with some estimates soaring above the $20 billion mark, lawmakers may flirt with projections that changing the class size mandate could eliminate more than 12,000 teaching positions."

NY just axed 15 thousand teachers, other states are doing the same, 100's of thousands are loosing jobs. Universities are pumping out teaching grads right and left. It is a sad state of affairs.

And I don't know what being from California has to do with anything. But that is not where i am from. It is always good to educate yourself before posting your own bs. :-)

Old 01-30-2011, 01:45 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,015,508 times
The state is about to close 3 community colleges, and I know people in education who are about to get axed. It's all over the news.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:07 PM

3,858 posts, read 3,823,306 times
Quote:
I am concerned for people who already have jobs in their home states but might give them up, or single moms with a few grand thinking they can show up and life will be good, or teachers who for some reason actually think their are jobs here.
How many people quit and move without a job prospect? If you have a job lined up this is still a great state with low taxes. Really? Single moms are leaving home & relatives and moving to Texas? Got a link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas