Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 01:04 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,872,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Nice pics, but pretty pointless thread. Nearly all of the major cities have a substantial amount of trees that stay green year round. Here in San Antonio, around the corner from my house there's practically nothing BUT green with all the oak trees around. Houston of course has its pines and oaks, and Dallas has its oaks and cedars.

Besides, even in those pics, East Texas still looks pretty dead. The only thing green is the pines.
Ahh...the usual haters are out in full force.

Al, I've never seen you contribute any photo threads as long as I've been on these boards.

Share with us some of your San Antonio "greenery" this winter. Better hurry up, Spring is right around the corner!

Houston is green like Tyler/East Texas year round because, well, a good portion of it lays in East Texas.

Uh Durr

Oh Dallas...they have their cute little 6 ft. tall clumps of evergreen Christmas (Red Cedar) trees around Mesquite & Cedar Hill. Nice break in scenery from all the brown & barren prairie up there eh? Did Santa forget to leave a package under one for you? Did you know they are considered an invasive species & can ruin farmable land?

Predictable scenes in Dallas & North Texas.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 02-04-2011 at 01:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 08:58 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,953,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Ahh...the usual haters are out in full force.

Al, I've never seen you contribute any photo threads as long as I've been on these boards.

Share with us some of your San Antonio "greenery" this winter. Better hurry up, Spring is right around the corner!

Houston is green like Tyler/East Texas year round because, well, a good portion of it lays in East Texas.

Uh Durr

Oh Dallas...they have their cute little 6 ft. tall clumps of evergreen Christmas (Red Cedar) trees around Mesquite & Cedar Hill. Nice break in scenery from all the brown & barren prairie up there eh? Did Santa forget to leave a package under one for you? Did you know they are considered an invasive species & can ruin farmable land?

Predictable scenes in Dallas & North Texas.

Although I cant stand those little sickly looking cedar trees either, this pic actually looks pretty cool

The problem with the pics of Tyler that you posted is that there are actually TOO many trees altogether. Too many species that DO lose their leaves obstruct the view of the pines, grass, and green undergrowth. The only heavily vegetated region Ive actually been to that doesnt have this trait is the Piedmont region (eastern thirds of NC/SC/GA, because pines are the overwhelmingly dominant species of tree in that area) and a good deal of Florida. But even the remaining areas of those states resemble the pics of Tyler you posted.

Last edited by solytaire; 02-04-2011 at 09:15 AM..

Old 02-04-2011, 09:06 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,809,476 times
Yeah, I'm a hater. Especially since virtually everyone here knows how much I love East Texas and its trees. Nice try, though. If anyone's the hater, it's you, as you will seek out any excuse to pick on Dallas.

As far as me contributing to photo threads, I'm glad you brought that up. Today I awoke to a thin blanket of snow here in north San Antonio, and I plan on taking some pics with my phone. I probably won't be able to post them until later this evening, though.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post

Although I cant stand those little sickly looking cedar trees either, this pic actually looks pretty cool
Lol, am I the only one who likes eastern cedars? I think they look nice when they grow up and are well taken care of. I used to call them Super Mario trees when I was younger.

Quote:
The problem with the pics of Tyler that you posted is that there are actually TOO many trees altogether. Too many species that DO lose their leaves obstruct the view of the pines, grass, and green undergrowth. The only heavily vegetated region Ive actually been to that doesnt have this trait is the Piedmont region (eastern third of NC/SC/GA) and a good deal of Florida.
It's funny you brought those states up, because nowadays, a city like Atlanta, Charlotte, or Augusta would put Tyler to shame when it comes to hilliness and greenery during the winter.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Lol, am I the only one who likes eastern cedars? I think they look nice when they grow up and are well taken care of. I used to call them Super Mario trees when I was younger.
lol I tend to like trees that form more of a plume than a tapered point...the ones that form some kind of canopy when mature. For me, the cedar is what it is. Just kind of there.

Quote:
It's funny you brought those states up, because nowadays, a city like Atlanta, Charlotte, or Augusta would put Tyler to shame when it comes to hilliness and greenery during the winter.
True, BUT, let me be clear *Obama voice*, I wasnt saying that those states were green in their entirety in the winter. Only the region of those states that fall in the Piedmont remain starkly green throughout the winter. I have traveled through areas just outside of Atlanta, that looked exactly like those pics. Maybe even a little browner. HOWEVER, Charlotte, Augusta, the area surrounding Charleston, SC, Charlotte, NC, Raleigh, NC all leave Tyler in the dust as far as pine trees/winter greenery.

As far as hills, yeah, Tyler is blown out of the water.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
lol I tend to like trees that form more of a plume than a tapered point...the ones that form some kind of canopy when mature. For me, the cedar is what it is. Just kind of there.

True, BUT, let me be clear *Obama voice*, I wasnt saying that those states were green in their entirety in the winter. Only the region of those states that fall in the Piedmont remain starkly green throughout the winter. I have traveled through areas just outside of Atlanta, that looked exactly like those pics. Maybe even a little browner. HOWEVER, Charlotte, Augusta, the area surrounding Charleston, SC, Charlotte, NC, Raleigh, NC all leave Tyler in the dust as far as pine trees/winter greenery.

As far as hills, yeah, Tyler is blown out of the water.
Good post. I definitely agree.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Good post. I definitely agree.
Thanks bro

Although I love greenery just as much if not moreso than anyone else, I kind of fell back on the harsh judgment of Dallas' winter greenery because: Take for instance western/central Virginia. IMO, You wont find any more beautiful breathtaking greenery in fall, spring, OR summer. Absolutely stunning falls, and green lush summers with kudzu hanging from everything. HOWEVER, come wintertime? It looks every bit as dead and wack (IMO) as Dallas' landscape, except that it has tons of Mountains and hills which make the dead mundane color palette a little bit more, well, palatable. But aside from the hills, I cant say it was rife with greenery either. It actually looked kinda bad.

Last edited by solytaire; 02-04-2011 at 09:54 AM..

Old 02-04-2011, 10:29 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,503,209 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm a hater. Especially since virtually everyone here knows how much I love East Texas and its trees. Nice try, though. If anyone's the hater, it's you, as you will seek out any excuse to pick on Dallas.

As far as me contributing to photo threads, I'm glad you brought that up. Today I awoke to a thin blanket of snow here in north San Antonio, and I plan on taking some pics with my phone. I probably won't be able to post them until later this evening, though.
Metro Matt is the worst poster on this site. (Well, the worst poster on this site who frequents the Texas boards.)

Old 02-04-2011, 11:40 AM

4,364 posts, read 4,561,868 times
People do realize this is just a small portion of an East Texas area? I mean we do realize that. I can show you some winter greenery on the level of some southeastern states right in Longview/Marshall/Henderson/ Caddo Lake/Rusk/ Tatum/Easton/ Jacksonville/Pittsburgh/ New Diana/ Jefferson/Uncertain/ Martin Lake/ Lake O' The Pines/Dangerfield/Gilmer/White Oak/Gladewater/Palestine/Lake Palestine/Cofee City/Lindale.. etc.

The Piney Woods of East Texas is a big area. And it's more hiller areas in Tyler then those pics. And I've been to damn near almost every corner and even areas I never knew existed in East Texas when I use to work routes for Reddy Ice.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:05 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,797,452 times

Possum Kingdom Lake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas