U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-05-2011, 02:24 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,682,452 times

Advertisements

Lately my father has been complaining about how much he hates snow. So I've been telling him to consider moving to Texas. My father's comment, "Hey son, come watch this video. This is the reason why we don't want to move to Texas."

The Daily Show ran a funny segment lampooning Texas Christian Republicans for opposing the reelection of the Republican Texas Speaker of the House because he's Jewish. I thought it was very funny.

"Republican groups across the state have surfaced calling for Strauss to be removed in favor of a quote 'more Christian speaker'."

"Could it possibly be that a Jew would be driven out of yet another desert land?"

Jewish Speaker of Texas State House - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 02/03/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 03:27 PM

8,567 posts, read 5,143,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Lately my father has been complaining about how much he hates snow. So I've been telling him to consider moving to Texas. My father's comment, "Hey son, come watch this video. This is the reason why we don't want to move to Texas."

The Daily Show ran a funny segment lampooning Texas Christian Republicans for opposing the reelection of the Republican Texas Speaker of the House because he's Jewish. I thought it was very funny.

"Republican groups across the state have surfaced calling for Strauss to be removed in favor of a quote 'more Christian speaker'."

"Could it possibly be that a Jew would be driven out of yet another desert land?"

Jewish Speaker of Texas State House - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 02/03/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
Interesting, as the Texas legislature has been a majority of Republicans since at least the last session (if not before) when Strauss was elected leader. Those Republicans now have a two thirds majority and still elected Strauss to the leadership. And as best I can determine, most Republicans in the Texas legislature are Christians.

How can this be?

Old 02-05-2011, 03:30 PM

18,494 posts, read 17,216,848 times
He's Texan not Jewish. Most Texans don't care as long as he takes care of business. I'm really surprised so many people believe Jon Stewart is anything more than a comedian.

Last edited by Rakin; 02-05-2011 at 03:39 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 04:02 PM

5,219 posts, read 3,356,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
He's Texan not Jewish. Most Texans don't care as long as he takes care of business. I'm really surprised so many people believe Jon Stewart is anything more than a comedian.
Exactly. Sounds like a bunch of hogwash to me.... the Daily Show, really?!?

Someone wants to let The Daily Show give them reasons for not moving to Texas, so be it. Sounds more like a flame post.... or if you actually believe things you hear on TV like that, I feel sorry for you.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:03 PM

5,219 posts, read 3,356,723 times
Quote:
Exactly. You'd also be surprised how many people still don't know (or maybe don't believe) Houston elected a gay mayor.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:06 PM

148 posts, read 205,648 times
The truth is that some Republicans called for his ouster because he didn't represent "Christian values." Thank God, cooler heads prevailed and the move to ouster him was stopped.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:06 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,682,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Exactly. Sounds like a bunch of hogwash to me.... the Daily Show, really?!?

Someone wants to let The Daily Show give them reasons for not moving to Texas, so be it. Sounds more like a flame post.... or if you actually believe things you hear on TV like that, I feel sorry for you.
It's just in good fun. I don't think anyone in my family takes The Daily Show seriously. My post was just for amusement purposes.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:25 PM

8,567 posts, read 5,143,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James2496 View Post
The truth is that some Republicans called for his ouster because he didn't represent "Christian values." Thank God, cooler heads prevailed and the move to ouster him was stopped.
Heh, turns out Strauss represents Christian values better than the Christians calling for his ouster. Though really, I thought it was to have a Republican speaker at the helm for re-districting purposes.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:44 AM

6 posts, read 10,477 times
Quote:
The problem is he gives better more informative truthful "news" as a "comedian" than places like Fox News.... Your comment should be "I'm really surprised so many people believe Fox News is anything more than entertainment."

Old 02-06-2011, 05:27 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,567,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrigtht View Post
The problem is he gives better more informative truthful "news" as a "comedian" than places like Fox News.... Your comment should be "I'm really surprised so many people believe Fox News is anything more than entertainment."
That's complete and utter BS; you know it. That show is a farce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas