Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:25 AM

228 posts, read 537,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Asians are all over Austin. Anyone who lives here knows that and can see it with their own eyes. Look a the demographics of the school districts, including the suburban ones.
True.

The majority of the Census tracts in north/northwest Austin area are >10% Asian and there are several over 25%. There are about 80,000 in the MSA and most are in central or north Austin; there are comparatively few in south Austin.

Round Rock ISD is 12% Asian and Pflugerville is 9%. Some of the individual schools are over 30% (e.g., Spicewood in RRISD).

From the data I have, the only school districts in the state with a higher Asian fraction than RRISD are Fort Bend ISD (21%), Plano ISD (19%), and Alief ISD (13%).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 11:29 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,649 times
stuff white people like....omg, that is too funny!!

It has pretty much been said before. Austin proper is mostly white west of I-35 and black/hispanic east of I-35. It appears to me that 90% of the Indian and Asian population within the city of Austin, live in Avery Ranch. Not really sure why, but once you leave far northwest Austin, I rarely see them anymore.

Austin does have SOME diversity--if you REALLY wanna visit a white bred town, try visiting a city like Des Moines! Obviously, the diversity in Austin can't compare with cities like Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio. That is just a fact. Why is this being dicusssed at all???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Austin is like "http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com" the city. It's cute and fun to play with but a little hard to take seriously.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:02 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
You know, that "stuffwhitepoeplelike" one about diversity:

#7 Diversity « Stuff White People Like

Is really true about Houston.

One thing I noticed looking at the map -- which somehow never occurred to me before -- is that Houston is only diverse in the areas where white people live. I always was impressed by the diversity I saw there, but now that I think about it I was always in that west-central "pizza slice" (or way outskirts) of Houston where the white population seems to live.

In the areas where whites don't live, it isn't diverse at all. Strange.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:47 AM

522 posts, read 1,132,421 times
as a californian living in texas (san antonio): to be honest, i think i'm attracted to austin a little more than the other big cities is because it's not quite as huge, geographically speaking, as the others. i lived in areas and neighborhoods that were smaller, compact (not for a lack of people density) which seems to be more prevalent in austin. some of my favorite events happen in austin as well, like sxsw and for a short time makerfaire. though my opinions, as others have said, might be because i don't know any better. san antonio and austin are the only large texas cities i know with any intimacy, but my native in-laws and friends seem to have the same opinion. (which isn't to say that i or they don't or wouldn't like houston of dfw. i'll hopefully be visiting the houston area soon, so perhaps my opinion will change.)

Old 02-16-2011, 09:07 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
It appears to me that 90% of the Indian and Asian population within the city of Austin, live in Avery Ranch. Not really sure why, but once you leave far northwest Austin, I rarely see them anymore.
eepstein, you've made this comment in several threads & if you look at demographic patterns in Austin, you'd know this isn't true.

As other posters have mentioned, a large % of Asians are dispersed throughout W, NW & N Austin. Flowing into 4-5 different High Schools which would suggest several dozen neighborhoods that have Asian %s as high (& probably higher) than in Avery Ranch.

Nothing against Avery Ranch (nice place, nice schools etc.).....it's just that saying that 90% of the Asian population in greater Austin is currently living there...... is an inaccurate statement.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
the diversity in Austin can't compare with cities like Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio. That is just a fact. Why is this being dicusssed at all???
Austin has a larger black population and a much larger Asian population than San Antonio. How, exactly, does Austin's diversity not compare? Because it has more white people?

As usual, your "facts" are little more than nonsense.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
You know, that "stuffwhitepoeplelike" one about diversity:

#7 Diversity « Stuff White People Like

Is really true about Houston.

One thing I noticed looking at the map -- which somehow never occurred to me before -- is that Houston is only diverse in the areas where white people live. I always was impressed by the diversity I saw there, but now that I think about it I was always in that west-central "pizza slice" (or way outskirts) of Houston where the white population seems to live.

In the areas where whites don't live, it isn't diverse at all. Strange.
Hah! What makes it so funny is that Austin's got the whole "stuff white people like" list to a t. The aspects Austin purportedly has in the droves and prides itself on is materialized in a generalized albeit nonsense list. Hilarious!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
That would be a negative on the black population; SA black population is larger.
Since this discussion on diversity has been focused on the metro areas, my statement would be totally correct in that context.

SA proper has a larger overall black population than Austin proper, but a smaller percentage of the total.

2009 MSA estimates from the US Census Bureau:

Austin - 124,293 (7.2%)
San Antonio - 122,436 (5.9%)

And for the cities only:

Austin - 72,811 (9.2%)
San Antonio - 103,825 (7.6%)

Old 02-16-2011, 11:00 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Hah! What makes it so funny is that Austin's got the whole "stuff white people like" list to a t.
I know -- the list is practically written about the types of folks who would move to cities like Austin, Portland, or Seattle. But it also seems to fit the demographic of the typical C-D poster from any city (at least on the city vs. city threads)... people here love to argue about how great the diversity, gay-friendliness, and liberal voting record of their city is... even in places like Dallas or Houston. Honestly, C-D should probably be somewhere on the list.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feconi View Post
Since this discussion on diversity has been focused on the metro areas, my statement would be totally correct in that context.

SA proper has a larger overall black population than Austin proper, but a smaller percentage of the total.

2009 MSA estimates from the US Census Bureau:

Austin - 124,293 (7.2%)
San Antonio - 122,436 (5.9%)

And for the cities only:

Austin - 72,811 (9.2%)
San Antonio - 103,825 (7.6%)
Neither are significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas