U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-09-2011, 12:13 PM

18,521 posts, read 13,630,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
I do not agree. Austin has BY FAR the most arrogant, self-centered people in the state. I have lots of friends in North Dallas, Denton, and Houston and everyone of them would hole heartedly agree with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoseph2 View Post
This proves beyond a doubt that eepstein has no heart
lmao at the spelling. I make a lot of thos etoo, but I (W)hole heartedly agree with him
Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-09-2011, 09:21 PM

7,589 posts, read 16,205,202 times
I've never lived in Austin, though I have visted a bunch, multiple family members live there, and I have done a lot of observing and reading. Here is what I've observed:

I read a publication from the City of Austin that Austin had about the same percentage of blacks as modern day Houston-metro (roughly 1/6th). But since the mid 1960s the numbers have steadily declined and the city seemed to be trying to figure out why. Also if you read these boards and even the news, it's pretty clear all things Southern get erased there. Putting those together, it seems like something strange has been going on. Posts in this thread about personal experiences seem to speak to it. And regarding the fringes of the Austin forum, it seems to be the most tumultuous, have the most racial tensions, and some of the most delusional posts out of all the Texas boards.

One of my more transient family members has lived in each major city in the "Texas Triangle" as well as Deep East Texas, and claims Austin is the most ass-backward large city, and the Austin Metro+Hill Country is the most ass-backward region. I cannot verify that, but I will say this. Out of all the people I've known personally, the most homophobic, xenophobic, racist, and plain ignorant things I've ever heard have come from people from Austin and the Hill Country. These guys can make the stereotypical "East Texas Redneck" shake his head in disgust. On the other hand, there is a large number of very neutral folks there, that is unless you're talking about what $5 beers or what high-grade strain of marijuana is the best. "Laid back duuude."

Now if you jump on over to the Golden Triangle (another liberal area I've spent a lot of time), a large number of local 20-somethings born/raised in the white-flight towns are absolutely enamored with Austin... mainly due to the scenery because they haven't travelled much, and the scene (i.e. drugs & alcohol). They like it because the scene is 95% white like home, and they beat up on Houston and Dallas because of the large #'s of scary minorities that make them uncomfortable. Actually there was another article about liberal meccas being extremely white. Makes sense to me.

Anyway, that's all. You can take it or leave it. I'm sure Austin is just fine for the most part, but there is a very large contingent that makes it look flaky. Without the strong PR pitches, I don't think it would be looked upon very favorably.

Unread 02-10-2011, 12:14 AM

25,171 posts, read 30,892,356 times
I agree with this comment. I also think it is a very accurate evaluation of Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I've never lived in Austin, though I have visted a bunch, multiple family members live there, and I have done a lot of observing and reading. Here is what I've observed:

I read a publication from the City of Austin that Austin had about the same percentage of blacks as modern day Houston-metro (roughly 1/6th). But since the mid 1960s the numbers have steadily declined and the city seemed to be trying to figure out why. Also if you read these boards and even the news, it's pretty clear all things Southern get erased there. Putting those together, it seems like something strange has been going on. Posts in this thread about personal experiences seem to speak to it. And regarding the fringes of the Austin forum, it seems to be the most tumultuous, have the most racial tensions, and some of the most delusional posts out of all the Texas boards.

One of my more transient family members has lived in each major city in the "Texas Triangle" as well as Deep East Texas, and claims Austin is the most ass-backward large city, and the Austin Metro+Hill Country is the most ass-backward region. I cannot verify that, but I will say this. Out of all the people I've known personally, the most homophobic, xenophobic, racist, and plain ignorant things I've ever heard have come from people from Austin and the Hill Country. These guys can make the stereotypical "East Texas Redneck" shake his head in disgust. On the other hand, there is a large number of very neutral folks there, that is unless you're talking about what $5 beers or what high-grade strain of marijuana is the best. "Laid back duuude."

Now if you jump on over to the Golden Triangle (another liberal area I've spent a lot of time), a large number of local 20-somethings born/raised in the white-flight towns are absolutely enamored with Austin... mainly due to the scenery because they haven't travelled much, and the scene (i.e. drugs & alcohol). They like it because the scene is 95% white like home, and they beat up on Houston and Dallas because of the large #'s of scary minorities that make them uncomfortable. Actually there was another article about liberal meccas being extremely white. Makes sense to me.

Anyway, that's all. You can take it or leave it. I'm sure Austin is just fine for the most part, but there is a very large contingent that makes it look flaky. Without the strong PR pitches, I don't think it would be looked upon very favorably.

Unread 02-10-2011, 10:09 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,534,796 times
Quote:

Be happy you don't live in this miserable corrupt city. There are too many nicer places in this country to waste your life in Austin.

Austin doesn't have much diversity at all. It has around an 8% black population, and around 25% hispanic. Nearly ALL of those people live east of 35 from about Rundberg, down to Riverside. Most of those people are treated as third class citizens by the city. Back in the 1960's, I-35 was created as the "double decker monstrocity" to be sure that the dividing line between the whealthy and poor was well in place.

Absolutely correct. There is TONS of racial tension in this city. Not only do you have biggoted people everywhere, you have the city which to some extent is biggoted as well.

I have black, asian, and numerous gay friends who all live in the Dallas area. Everyone of them said the same thing about how backassward Austin is as far as race relations compared to the bigger "real" Texas cities.

I'll leave it, thank you!

Unread 02-10-2011, 10:11 AM

8,592 posts, read 7,329,142 times
LMAO, Austin being exposed....

Unread 02-10-2011, 10:19 AM

2,552 posts, read 4,847,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Hallelujah. Maybe it will scare off the hundreds of people trying to move here every day.

Unread 02-10-2011, 10:37 AM

15,752 posts, read 17,425,696 times
Quote:

Exactly. Ask many blacks who have been to Austin and they're stories and experiences will mirror mine. I have no need to make up stories just to tear down another city. I think Austin is a cool city, but it's hype is very one-sided. I honestly believe Dallas and Houston are more liberal than Austin.

Unread 02-10-2011, 11:06 AM

8,592 posts, read 7,329,142 times
Houston and Dallas are. Austin is full of people trying to be liberals. It's forced. Houston and Dallas are more genuine.

Unread 02-10-2011, 12:16 PM

228 posts, read 266,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Yeah, it's being attacked and "exposed" by Dallas and Houston apologists (like yourself) or people who have made it patently obvious that their "experience" is merely a regurgitation of some bogus stereotype (such as eepstein and artsyguy). Everything about Austin must be a lie. Party's over!

Please.

Just because Austin doesn't meet your definition of "liberal" (that definition of course being the one that best applies to Houston), doesn't mean it isn't to many others.

Just because a few people perceive certain parts of Austin to be prejudiced or "backwards" doesn't mean that their experience is at all representative.

Just because a few people who live or have lived in Austin think the city sucks doesn't mean the majority of people who live or have lived there feel the same way.

Unfortunately, on this board I see that we have two rather hyperbolic characterizations of Austin--on one end, some people call it a "liberal mecca" and an ultra-progressive utopia with a downtown and an "urban fabric" that puts all other cities in this region to shame.

On the other extreme, you have people calling it "backwards" and "hillbilly" and grossly misrepresenting the people of the city and exaggerating its negative attributes.

Of course, Austin fits neither of these extreme descriptions--it is really a college town surrounded by relatively conservative suburbs, which has seen a tremendous population explosion over the past few decades and is now caught in an identity crisis. While it lacks some amenities (e.g., sports, museums) that other cities its size have, it has now developed enough that its day-to-day quality of life is probably no lower than what one could expect in Dallas, Houston, SA, etc.

The bottom line is nobody is "exposing" Austin and no individual opinion or experience can capture what Austin is really like. Moreover, the individual experience of each person that comes here depends on their personality, their attitude, and many other factors. The last thing I will say here is this--if Austin was indeed as incredibly miserable as some of you paint it to be, it simply would not be growing like it is. People do vote with their feet, and apparently there are lots of people who disagree with the naysayers on this forum.

Unread 02-10-2011, 12:21 PM

419 posts, read 464,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Exactly. Ask many blacks who have been to Austin and they're stories and experiences will mirror mine. I have no need to make up stories just to tear down another city. I think Austin is a cool city, but it's hype is very one-sided. I honestly believe Dallas and Houston are more liberal than Austin.
I think that is good analysis. It is absolutely a very cool city, but is overhyped.

Like any town, it does have its problems. Ironically, one if its problems is purporting to be laid back and simultaneously exclusionary. But that will probably be toned down as the city matures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas