U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:50 PM

5,010 posts, read 8,122,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I live in Texas and I very much care about natural beauty. I actually liked your post until I got to the slam at Texas. There are many attractive natural settings in Texas. My favorite is the area around McDonald Observatory.

The problem is that any area of Texas that you can argue has some natural appeal is out in the middle of nowhere, not anywhere near a major city, which is where the jobs are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 06:18 PM

2,353 posts, read 6,246,416 times
Hmmm, the Hill Country is very pretty and Austin and San Antonio are on the edges of it and between the two cities there seems to be a job to fit each type of worker from low end to the high end...

Old 02-17-2011, 06:34 PM

5,277 posts, read 3,443,515 times
Drastic cuts to education.... meanwhile, the TDHCA continues developer hand-outs! Even more the last few years, using the excuse of "Ike-funding" (hurricane Ike).

The TDHCA needs to be completely overhauled (stop all the handouts to developers to get millions to build brand-new way out on open land in the boonies, encouraging sprawl.... instead must only re-hab already existing low-income apartments). Or, TDHCA should be dismantled/de-funded altogether. The way it is now (and has been since 1989), developers get to build their money-makers (and neighborhood-destroyers) off the backs of taxpayers.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 PM

15,104 posts, read 9,499,953 times
Can someone explain to me how a thread on Texas finances morphs into a kiddie finger pointing/name calling contest on natural beauty?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:28 PM

674 posts, read 879,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
The problem is that any area of Texas that you can argue has some natural appeal is out in the middle of nowhere, not anywhere near a major city, which is where the jobs are.
That's exactly why those places have remained beautiful/appealing because they aren't near large cities.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:30 PM

674 posts, read 879,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Can someone explain to me how a thread on Texas finances morphs into a kiddie finger pointing/name calling contest on natural beauty?
Your guess is as good as mine.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:13 PM

9,606 posts, read 9,729,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Ahhh, this article is as partisan as it gets.....

I am so sick of these doom & gloom politicians and their FUD:

Why is it the Democrats see these "ominous trends" and never see anything good unless it's a tax hike?
Maybe because Perry is proposing to cut 5 billion from education while swearing up and down he will never touch the rainy day fund? I bet you could count the states that would agree with this thinking on one hand.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:15 AM

576 posts, read 781,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
OK - let's pull a quote directly out of the linked article:

“This report makes for some interesting trivia. But if Texas is such a horrible place, why have 4.5 million people moved here in the last decade?” asked Wohlgemuth, executive director of the Texas Public Policy Foundation, which advocates for smaller government. “What people care most about are jobs, and on that measurement, Texas ranks first.”
The reason 4.5M people moved here in the last decade is that they were fed the line that Texas is the land of milk and honey. During the start of the economic crisis Texas government did a good job of covering up the state of the Texas economy which was only lagging behind (in negative conditions) of the remainder of the US. Now the truth is out and Texas can no longer cover anything up.

Interesting though that people are still flocking here in numbers, without jobs, without real plans, and still can not see the light! Apparently they are the ones that do little reading or research before they act.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:46 AM

2,865 posts, read 4,045,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggs View Post
The reason 4.5M people moved here in the last decade is that they were fed the line that Texas is the land of milk and honey. During the start of the economic crisis Texas government did a good job of covering up the state of the Texas economy which was only lagging behind (in negative conditions) of the remainder of the US. Now the truth is out and Texas can no longer cover anything up.

Interesting though that people are still flocking here in numbers, without jobs, without real plans, and still can not see the light! Apparently they are the ones that do little reading or research before they act.
I don't really think it's a "line". We do have a very low unemployment rate. But the simple fact is - most of the people moving here are Latinos. And I'd also venture to say that a huge percentage of them are illegal. Heard on the news just this morning that white people are now in the minority with only 45% of the population here, and hispanics now make up 38%. This is an astronomical increase from just 10 years ago.

They don't have to have a job when they move here. Just start helping your cousin doing some type of construction work or semi-skilled labor. Then put your own ad on craigslist and you're suddenly in business for yourself. And no tax to pay since you have no SS no.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:20 PM

5,010 posts, read 8,122,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I don't really think it's a "line". We do have a very low unemployment rate. But the simple fact is - most of the people moving here are Latinos. And I'd also venture to say that a huge percentage of them are illegal. Heard on the news just this morning that white people are now in the minority with only 45% of the population here, and hispanics now make up 38%. This is an astronomical increase from just 10 years ago.

They don't have to have a job when they move here. Just start helping your cousin doing some type of construction work or semi-skilled labor. Then put your own ad on craigslist and you're suddenly in business for yourself. And no tax to pay since you have no SS no.

That's quite a lot of racist assumptions in one post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas