Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
I can tell you that when I moved here, I was surprised that Latinos were aligning themselves with the GOP. I was also surprised to meet several gay couples that are staunchly Republican. If I were a minority, it just doesn't seem like a group that I, personally, would fall in step with.
The GOP is in catch 22. If they truly embrace Hispanics that would mean having to drop the fear mongering, and rhetoric about illegals, and demonizing "multi-culturalism" etc. ....But that would involve not being able to divide Americans along racial and cultural lines in order to get them to vote against their own self interest.

We are getting closer every year in Texas where liberal whites ( 25% of the white vote) combined with the every growing minority population will rival the GOP vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 08:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
I can tell you that when I moved here, I was surprised that Latinos were aligning themselves with the GOP. I was also surprised to meet several gay couples that are staunchly Republican. If I were a minority, it just doesn't seem like a group that I, personally, would fall in step with.
Texas is overall a pretty conservative state with conservative ideals.
Note I said conservative and not Conservative (the party).

Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post

DALLAS—Latinos accounted for 65% of Texas's population growth over the past decade, and for 95% of the increase among its rapidly expanding under-18 population, numbers likely to amplify the group's political clout for years to come in the second most-populous state.
Data released Thursday by the U.S. Census Bureau show that Texas, long associated with cowboys, cattle and the wide-open range, became more urban and more Latino from 2000-2010. Non-Hispanic whites ceased being the majority, shrinking to 45.3% of the population from 52.4%.

Latino Numbers Soar in Texas - WSJ.com

The new reality.Demographically and politically this decade will be interesting in Texas.
Oh my god! What a shock!!!........

Old 02-18-2011, 11:35 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Interesting article. I am encouraged that change is on the horizon. I am interested to know if anyone has information on Latino political involvement? Do they tend to be politically active or indifferent? Where I live, I see plenty of political opportunity for Hispanics yet they never run for office, nor do we ever seem to be able to get rid of the old, white, conservative men that run this town.
Illegal immigrants can't vote and Latinos have low voter participation rates. Please spare me the "not every Hispanic is illegal" crap a retarded monkey knows if anyone is thinking of saying it to me. When you have over 1.5 million residents of your state as illegal and considering the vast majority of them are Hispanic, it's no shock why.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:04 PM

922 posts, read 1,697,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Illegal immigrants can't vote
Doesn't seem to stop dead people from voting in pretty much every election.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtX4415 View Post
Doesn't seem to stop dead people from voting in pretty much every election.
Yeah..but they WERE citizens at one point.

Let's hope that Voter ID cleans up voting.
It surely needs it.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:58 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
Well, the younger generation of Latinos are anti-illegal immigrant. I'd be careful to lump them all together.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:29 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Point to one legitimate case of voter fraud where someone who was an illegal immigrant was caught trying to vote???
You can't --- because there were none...
this voter id is just a red herring...

and yes--I think that some of that Hispanic increase in probably from illegals but guess what--the Republicans will use those numbers to their advantage to add numbers to state and federal representatives and use to their advantage for redistricting too...
then complain and complain about the rise in illegals...

Old 02-18-2011, 10:23 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The GOP is in catch 22. If they truly embrace Hispanics that would mean having to drop the fear mongering, and rhetoric about illegals, and demonizing "multi-culturalism" etc. ....But that would involve not being able to divide Americans along racial and cultural lines in order to get them to vote against their own self interest.
Good try, Padcrasher...but give it up. I am not a Republican (just a conservative independent), so no partisan politics when I laugh out loud when leftists bring up "fear mongering" and "rhetoric about illegals".

Hell...people of your ilk THRIVE on the very fear mongering and division you accuse others of. BTW -- what is fear mongering about illegals being illegal?

Quote:
We are getting closer every year in Texas where liberal whites ( 25% of the white vote) combined with the every growing minority population will rival the GOP vote.
*yawn* Nope, you aren't. Texas is, and will remain, a conservative state. In fact, it might be a tip-off in that many hispanics tend to vote republican. But they are wrong....right?

Old 02-18-2011, 10:51 PM

398 posts, read 1,416,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Illegal immigrants can't vote and Latinos have low voter participation rates. Please spare me the "not every Hispanic is illegal" crap a retarded monkey knows if anyone is thinking of saying it to me. When you have over 1.5 million residents of your state as illegal and considering the vast majority of them are Hispanic, it's no shock why.
it's not that we're all illegal. it's just that we all understand that the system works against us. so there's no use. it's better if you just play along and try and enjoy your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas