Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 02:24 AM

93 posts, read 268,973 times

Advertisements

Hi, I grew up in the Illinois. So I am partial to farmland.
Where I lived in central Illinois, corn fields were dominate on the landscape.
I am currently living in Houston, and do not like it. I want to move to
someplace that is smaller, less humid, and where there is an overwhelming abundance of farmland. I am looking
at Amarillo. Is corn a big crop in
the Panhandle around Amarillo? Or is wheat king in this area?
I don't like grazing land; the type you might see out West. I like farmland.
I am curious if the Panhandle is a solid mass of farmland? Or is some
areas not suitable for growing crops? Is farmland a dominate feature
out on the Panhandle landscape? I hope I made my questions clear.
Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 07:26 AM

11,816 posts, read 26,650,028 times
Wheat, cotton, and sorghum are big crops up there. You will see some corn, too.
It's about 50/50 between cattle grazing and crops.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:20 PM

thanks christie. I expect it's more akin to Eastern Colorado, then. I have
driven through East Colorado on I-70 so if it's largely similar I know what to expect from the Panhandle. I was hoping the Panhandle might be more akin to the Illinois landscape. It is solid crop land.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:43 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,099,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by while parked View Post
I am curious if the Panhandle is a solid mass of farmland?
Far from it. The major concern is lack of water. Farmland that is productive requires well irrigation, and a reliable underground aquifer that is not being depleted by over-pumping. The panhandle once was mostly a sandy wasteland until well pumping became widely established - but it's also very expensive to operate wells. Now the atmosphere has been so changed by the farming that does take place that there is more rainfall than before the farming craze.

And don't forget the oil and gas fields that are the other life blood of much of the area.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:14 AM

oil and gas fields are a big part of the panhandle landscape?
If so, I didn't realize this. I thought these areas where out by
Midland Odessa. I am attracted to the idea of living in an area
with oil and gas wells for the job potential.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:02 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,524,293 times
Quote:
The high prices are driving quite a bit of speculation up in the northern and eastern parts of the Panhandle. My great-grandparents' old farm in Wheeler County has been taken over by wells it seems. Borger has always been an oil town.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:01 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,099,763 times
Quote:
If you have a real interest in this subject you can find a ton of historical and current information about the oil and gas fields/industry by using GOOGLE and searching on the phrase: Texas panhandle oil and gas.

You can find more information on the underground water resources by GOOGLING on: Oglala aquifer.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:38 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,214,849 times
If you are looking for land to buy to farm, the Panhandle is not the place to look.......most of the farms are thousands of acres in size and you'll very seldom find one for sale. Most people couldn't even afford half the equipment that it takes to operate one of them, much less afford the land. Most of them have been in a family for generations, many of them are corporate owned. The owners just don't break them up to sell off small acreages....it's big business. But IMO there is nothing more beautiful than the huge expanses of farmland in the uppper Panhandle...they are a work of art based on a business model.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:48 PM

One day I would like to own a small bit of acreage with a couple of small ravines and a smattering of trees. I probably need to adjust my sights slightly to the east for this type of topography. I like a sparse
landscape. But an occasional small stand of trees is good to see on the landscape. I have seen the perfect land for me in places like Salinas, Kansas,
or Wichita, while driving a big truck. Suddenly I'm thinking I should be looking elsewhere besides
the places I have been considering.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,492,874 times
Kansas is a very good choice for what you are describing.

In addition to all the bonus features listed above -- and future water problems -- the Panhandle seems a bit harsh on the weather, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas