Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:07 AM

322 posts, read 748,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPlanoDude View Post
I dunno about this.

I can see the argument for professors and staff, but students might be taking it a little too far. I know the age is 21 and there are tests and classes involved in getting the license, but the college environment fosters alot of partying and drinking. Drinking + guns = obviously not a good mix.
I don't even think professors or staff should be able to. Someone wearing plain street clothes and carrying a gun would not easily be identifiable as a "good guy" by responding uniformed campus police, making their job in that situation that much harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 11:22 AM

374 posts, read 982,622 times
I see alot of opinions that have no foundation. Maybe the nay-sayers here should read the Texas Concealed Handgun Laws. With the permit comes increased responsibility and increased penalty for not following the law.

A concealed handgun permit holder is a more responsible gun owner. You have to know these laws and pass a range qualification to get the permit.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/tchlaws0102.pdf (broken link)

Old 02-21-2011, 11:34 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,031,285 times
I'm certainly for people having the right to own a gun but I think this is a bad idea. We don't need a bunch of college kids walking around with guns on campus. IMHO, this will make things worse.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:37 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjeepr View Post
I see alot of opinions that have no foundation. Maybe the nay-sayers here should read the Texas Concealed Handgun Laws. With the permit comes increased responsibility and increased penalty for not following the law.

A concealed handgun permit holder is a more responsible gun owner. You have to know these laws and pass a range qualification to get the permit.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/tchlaws0102.pdf (broken link)
Amen to that. I would suggest that the people who are against concealed carry actually take the class so that they will know how much responsibility is involved in the decision to arm oneself. Better yet, they should actually carry a concealed weapon for a week to two so that they can understand just how profoundly it changes ones behavior and decision making processes in a potentially dangerous situation. It may not change their minds, but I doubt that they will continue to make such silly arguments after that experience.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjeepr View Post

This is very true.

But in a campus setting, a responding officer has no idea if a person holding a gun has a chl and are just trying to defend themselves or if actually the person holding the gun is indeed the suspect.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlx View Post
This is very true.

But in a campus setting, a responding officer has no idea if a person holding a gun has a chl and are just trying to defend themselves or if actually the person holding the gun is indeed the suspect.
That is true outside of a campus setting as well.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Amen to that. I would suggest that the people who are against concealed carry actually take the class so that they will know how much responsibility is involved in the decision to arm oneself. Better yet, they should actually carry a concealed weapon for a week to two so that they can understand just how profoundly it changes ones behavior and decision making processes in a potentially dangerous situation. It may not change their minds, but I doubt that they will continue to make such silly arguments after that experience.
No one in this thread is against concealed carry as far as I know. They just think it's a bad idea for a school campus.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:47 AM

374 posts, read 982,622 times
Quote:
This is very true.

Sure they will, the CHP holder(s) will be the one preparing to give a statement with his/her weapon cleared and prepared to surrender to the LEO with the assailant lying in a pool of blood. Also, everyone else in the room will be thanking this person for saving their lives keeping in mind all the innocent students who have been murdered in incidents past while waiting for campus police to show up.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
That is true outside of a campus setting as well.
A campus with thousands of students is indeed different.

A similar setting would be a sporting event, concert, really any large public event. Do you think you should be able to carry while watching a basketball game, or attending a concert? There is a reason you are not allowed to carry at large pubic gatherings like sporting events and amusement parks. There should be no exception for a school campus.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
A campus with thousands of students is indeed different.

A similar setting would be a sporting event, concert, really any large public event. Do you think you should be able to carry while watching a basketball game, or attending a concert? There is a reason you are not allowed to carry at large pubic gatherings like sporting events and amusement parks. There should be no exception for a school campus.
A campus is really no different than an office complex. If a person is obeying the law, then there is little chance that they will be mistaken for "bad guy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas