U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-24-2011, 11:34 AM

31 posts, read 22,828 times
Default Property tax question

Hi. Although I have never posted previously, I have been doing a lot of reading because my husband and I plan to retire in about a year and move out of Houston. I have seen a number of posts talking about the high property taxes in Tx and that concerns me because we will be on a fixed income. I would like to find out what the taxes will be before we decide on our final retirement destination. How can I compare the different rates for various towns in Tx? We would like to move to the hill country because it is so beautiful . Thanks for your help
Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-24-2011, 01:22 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,268,360 times
Go to the appraisal district for the counties you are interested in. They usually post the latest tax rates on their website.

Unread 02-24-2011, 02:08 PM

Will this be only county taxes that they list or will it also include things like school taxes, city taxes and MUDD? And will it be by town? Thanks.

Unread 02-24-2011, 04:34 PM

7,621 posts, read 9,174,490 times
Figure out what county you're looking in and google that county + "central appraisal district". That will take you to the official website listing all property taxes- including county, city, and school district.

To give you an idea, in the Dallas-Fort Worth area the annual taxes hover between 2-3% of property value.

There is a homestead exemption in many areas, meaning you only taxes on 80 or 90% of the home's value if it is your only home. You have to live in the home on Jan 1 to get the exemption that calendar year.

Many areas also reduce or freeze property taxes once you are 65.

All of this info is listed pretty clearly on each CAD's website.

Unread 02-24-2011, 05:16 PM

576 posts, read 625,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irene61189 View Post
Hi. Although I have never posted previously, I have been doing a lot of reading because my husband and I plan to retire in about a year and move out of Houston. I have seen a number of posts talking about the high property taxes in Tx and that concerns me because we will be on a fixed income. I would like to find out what the taxes will be before we decide on our final retirement destination. How can I compare the different rates for various towns in Tx? We would like to move to the hill country because it is so beautiful . Thanks for your help
This is a list of the appraisal districts in Texas Texas Property Tax 2010 Appraisal District Directory. Each of these has the contact information and WEB site for them. The district WEB sites will provide a description of the rates for that district as well as the individual city/town rates.

Unread 02-24-2011, 05:46 PM

13,809 posts, read 16,972,855 times
There is an interesting document here The Tax Foundation - Property Taxes on Owner-Occupied Housing by County, 2005 - 2009, Ranked by Taxes as Percentage of Home Value

This doesn't tell you the whole story because it doesn't include City and School District Taxes.

You can search for the County name and find the "Median Taxes by home value" and "Median taxes as percent of income" for most counties in the US. It also provides a ranking of how it compares with other Counties in the US.

Looking up the highest counties (% of house value) in Texas I found these:

18 Fort Bend <--- 18 means 18th most expensive in the nation.
22 Tarrant
31 Williamson
32 Harris County
39 Web
44 Collin
47 Denton
48 Bexar
52 Rockwell
53 Dallas
60 Kaufman
68 Montgomery
73 Galveston
74 Hays
76 El Paso
83 Brazoria
88 Travis
99 Hidalgo
105 Bell
109 Bastrop
123 Ellis
130 Brazos

163 Guadalupe

I could not find some counties on the list such as Blanco, Caldwell and Lee. I gave up searching at this point

Unread 02-25-2011, 11:02 AM

I just wanted to give a big THANK YOU to those who replied. It really says a lot about people in Texas when they go out of their way to help even when there is no gain for themselves . I was able to get information about a number of counties however for some (that we were interested in screening)the tax rates were no where to be found. It's almost as if they were purposely hiding it . Sure would be nice if there was one site that had all the counties tax rates.

Unread 02-26-2011, 08:18 AM

13,935 posts, read 24,316,080 times
and you can usually check the MLS sites for towns/areas you are considering moving to--like Kerrville which is in the Hill Country or Boerne for example and then check the TAX box for the listings
they usually give the current taxes the owners paid for property tax--
your situation could be different since you are older and might qualify for the tax freeze

tax rates are matter of public knowledge--it is probably knowing where to find them on the county's web site vs them being obscured deliberately--remember the COUNTY's tax rate is not the only one property owners pay--you are interested in the total tax rate for property owners--

some web sites are not very handy

Unread 02-26-2011, 09:01 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,245,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irene61189 View Post
I just wanted to give a big THANK YOU to those who replied. It really says a lot about people in Texas when they go out of their way to help even when there is no gain for themselves . I was able to get information about a number of counties however for some (that we were interested in screening)the tax rates were no where to be found. It's almost as if they were purposely hiding it . Sure would be nice if there was one site that had all the counties tax rates.

People in Texas are that way. Loves2Read is an example of that, as well as the other good posters that came to your aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas