Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I live???
Houston 40 35.40%
Dallas 31 27.43%
Austin 42 37.17%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:47 PM

96 posts, read 245,466 times

Advertisements

City life in Dallas will be severely underwhelming, especially coming from NYC. You can't get any more ghost town-ish during weeknights and weekends than the city of Dallas. The suburbs are honestly where it's at in the metroplex. You might want to check out Addison or other uptown areas. Ft. Worth is also cool if you need to live in 'the city' and want a more concentrated and vibrant night scene... But keep in mind, everything there is sterile, master-planned, with a hint of Disneyification, which could be a turn-off to some people.

Austin is probably going to be the best city in Texas, if you are seeking that ideal 'young urban experience', especially if you're into night clubs or hanging out with your friends at a late night eatery. The only issues you might run into with Austin is how small and overcrowded it is (obviously not crowded by NYC standards, but crowded for a larger mid-sized city), and some of the scenes can be a bit exclusive or only cater towards a specific crowd (see the college hipster rants above). The majority of the bohemian-ish lifestyle is going to be confined in the 6 mile radius of the city proper, while the rest of the 'city' is submerged with (very pleasant) cookie-cutter suburbs.

Houston would probably be my second choice for urban living, as it is the closest thing you will find to being a true big city in Texas (as Austin is really just an oversized mid-sized city and Dallas-Ft. Worth is a collection of mid-sized cities with one fairly large central city). There is a certain warmth (not to be confused with softness), and 'realness' you get from Houstonians that you rarely experience elsewhere in Texas. To me, Houston feels like a city that is occupied by actual human beings and not shells of them. I don't know why, but this city feels like everyone from all different walks of life get can along with one another. You can joke around, strike up conversations, or ask for directions there and not feel like a complete tool for doing so. I can kinda see why people are pushing Houston so hard on these forums (and no agenda here, I love all of the cities in Texas equally, but really felt a connection with this place)... But with all of that said, Houston can be an eyesore. Houston is by far the ugliest city in Texas, and I can see why people would want to live in a more picturesque location.

Also, don't sleep on San Antonio if that's a possibility. Texas has so much more to offer than the three-headed monster. Anyway, I'm not trying to knock any of these cities. I'm just telling you how it really is (at least from what I've witnessed). Ultimately, if urbanity and a replication of NYC is of most importance to you, then you're heading to the wrong state. Texans proudly do things their own way and don't accommodate for substitutions.

In terms of city living:
Austin > Houston > Dallas

In terms of city amenities:
Dallas > Houston > Austin

In terms of cool city folk (at least from my experience):
Houston > Austin > Dallas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 06:09 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIBЄ View Post
But with all of that said, Houston can be an eyesore. Houston is by far the ugliest city in Texas, and I can see why people would want to live in a more picturesque location.
Get ready for them to sic the bloodhounds on you, my man. I hope you came armed...

Old 03-01-2011, 07:20 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIBЄ View Post
City life in Dallas will be severely underwhelming, especially coming from NYC. You can't get any more ghost town-ish during weeknights and weekends than the city of Dallas. The suburbs are honestly where it's at in the metroplex. You might want to check out Addison or other uptown areas. Ft. Worth is also cool if you need to live in 'the city' and want a more concentrated and vibrant night scene... But keep in mind, everything there is sterile, master-planned, with a hint of Disneyification, which could be a turn-off to some people.
Wow. You are seriously misinformed about the suburbs. They've got nothing at all worth visiting unless you want an Applebees. Addison? Really? Let's drive to Olive Garden everybody! It's where it's at!

If you found more people in the suburbs than than the city limits of Dallas, you are blind. Dallas has plenty of urban neighborhoods where there is action. Nothing in the suburbs even holds a candle.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:54 PM

13 posts, read 23,026 times
Thanks for all of the responses so far! Very helpful! I also thought I should point out a few more things on my wish list for a city. I am looking for something with more of an "alternative" vibe, and not to offend, but I am not the biggest fan of the cowboy/rodeo scene (which may just be an inaccurate stereotype for all I know). Some examples of my favorite neighborhoods in NYC are the Lower East Side, the East Village, and Greenpoint in Brooklyn. I hope this helps to clarify!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:20 PM

271 posts, read 393,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Wow. You are seriously misinformed about the suburbs. They've got nothing at all worth visiting unless you want an Applebees. Addison? Really? Let's drive to Olive Garden everybody! It's where it's at!

If you found more people in the suburbs than than the city limits of Dallas, you are blind. Dallas has plenty of urban neighborhoods where there is action. Nothing in the suburbs even holds a candle.
I have to agree with,VIBE, about there being nothing really that special about the urbanity of Dallas. The streets just don't have that much action...there's plenty of car action, but as an everyday pedestrian this city truly does lack... as far as street life activities go.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:27 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carryzero View Post
Thanks for all of the responses so far! Very helpful! I also thought I should point out a few more things on my wish list for a city. I am looking for something with more of an "alternative" vibe, and not to offend, but I am not the biggest fan of the cowboy/rodeo scene (which may just be an inaccurate stereotype for all I know). Some examples of my favorite neighborhoods in NYC are the Lower East Side, the East Village, and Greenpoint in Brooklyn. I hope this helps to clarify!
Haha come to Austin, if that's your scene in NY. Much smaller but you would be a lot more comfortable here than in Houston or Dallas, in my estimation.

You can even have my apartment when I move back to Houston!

Old 03-02-2011, 01:42 AM

96 posts, read 245,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post

This is a joke, right?

I've lived in Dallas proper (near Lakewood to be exact), and I can tell you that there was a whole lot of nothing going on while living in the city. I've honestly spent far more of my time driving out of the city than I actually did staying there for any sort of entertainment (although White Rock Lake is a sight to behold and you gotta check out the museum at least once). I'm not sure how I could be misinformed from prior experience.

I've been to the line of bars off of Greenville, which were funky and pretty cool, but that's really the only thing I found interesting at night in the core city. Have you driven in downtown Dallas at night? All you're going to see are squad cars scattered around and random homeless people trying to find a spot to sleep. That place is dead after 6pm. All of the entertainment is more than likely going to be concentrated uptown and up north where all the cheesy restaurants you pointed out are. I am almost convinced that the city organizers of Dallas are just building tall skyscrapers for show (and then use them for business). It feels as though all they did was prop up a cardboard cut-out of the skyline to get that city look, and then went off to live in their fortress suburbs miles away. It's like nobody wants to do anything in the city. All of those buildings on the 75 corridor felt much more active than anything in downtown Dallas. You would think it'd make sense for them to physically build the new Cowboys stadium in Dallas not only for the namesake, but to drive more traffic and business into the city. It's just weird... I still love the city, just being honest there.

Austin's nightlife was far more active while I was living there. Fortunately, I've been blessed with some really good friends, and I can't even count the number of fun times I've had hitting up some of the bars on 6th & 4th street and then stumbling into a Taco Cabana, Magnolia, Kerby Lane or Katz's Deli (while it was still open) to grab some latenight grub, and then hitting up some random karaoke bar off of Burnet or North Lamar, or longuing at a hookah bar, or playing a few games at one of the local arcades (Le Fun, Tilt at Northcross, The Dobie Mall, Einstein's at the time...I believe Arcade UFO is the new spot now) just chillin. That kind of stuff was absent when I lived in Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryzero View Post
Ft. Worth is way more cowboyed up than any of the cities mentioned. You will still see people wandering around with cowboy hats driving pickups all over the state (It's Texas after all), but that's really the extent of it, and it's never abrasive. Just go with it. No one is going to forcibly blare country music in your face, counting their oil money while riding horses. All of the major cities have already been watered down by transplants as well as the less 'cowboy', more modern younger generation. I actually think the cowboy culture can be pretty cool. You will come to appreciate the rodeo/cowboy stuff after living in a frumpy, dull state like Ohio for so long (of course, I kid...but I don't lie).

As for the 'alternative' vibe, you might find a better fit in Austin. The citizens actively push for alternative lifestyles, and you will find plenty of hippies, vegans, granola munchers, live music enthusiasts, and other West Coast wannabes living there. And despite what others may insist, Austin is not all that liberal of a city and is fairly moderate...I would even argue Houston and Dallas (the city) to be equally blue (or should I say purple?) cities, just with slight differences.

Again, I would suggest checking out Austin first. My only hang-up about the city would be that the job market there is very fragile, deceptive and a bit cliquish. Seeing how you've already got a job lined up, it should be no sweat...but if you were to get laid off, don't be surprised if you end up facing vicious competition for wages that aren't even a third of what you could make elsewhere. You might have to exit to Dallas or Houston in order to make some real money (I know I did). Austin is more of a place to spend money than to make money. It bothers me that the tallest building in the city was built solely for residential use, and not for business. Many employers seem to have realize that Austin is a desirable destination and will try to trap you with meager salaries the same way that they've been doing in San Diego. If Austin doesn't try to diversify their job market rather than heavily relying upon the State, the University, Dell and other 'tech opportunities' for jobs, the economic environment could potentially end up being like Orlando or Portland, where there maybe a lot of people, but not a whole lot of quality paying jobs. I've known plenty of young women who flock to Austin and want to become teachers (because that will fix everything, right?) And end up working at an Office Depot, Ross, and some other money-sucking chain store just to make ends meet. Just don't fall for the trap. Austin isn't that good.

Houston would still be my second recommendation solely for the people (especially the womens ), the restaurants (they can't be beat), and its close proximity to the beach (it gets nicer the further south you go). The city is still ugly as sin, though. I don't care how many people try and post images of the skyline. You still live in a hurricane-prone smog infested mutated marsh full of really cool people.

And Dallas is still an excellent option. All joking aside, Dallas is always going to be the first to enthrall major sporting events and bigtime expos and other attractions. All of the big names usually go to Dallas first before they venture through the rest of Texas. Dallas is way more business than the other cities, but you can always be entertained by heading out to the lakes or checking out some the many golf courses.

Really, there is no wrong answer here. Do what you think feels right, you're a grown adult. You've been to Portland, San Diego, Denver, and Chicago, so you already know the drill.

Last edited by VIBЄ; 03-02-2011 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Austin sounds like what you're looking for.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:06 AM

13 posts, read 23,026 times
and I am actually from Ohio originally, so kudos for that!

Old 03-02-2011, 03:25 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Austin may be too provincial after experiencing NYC and you'll end up hating Texas just because of your experience in that one city. Houston is the most cosmopolitan city in Texas and is on the coast like NYC. Once you live on the coasts, it's hard to move inland (Dallas and Austin).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas