Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I live???
Houston 40 35.40%
Dallas 31 27.43%
Austin 42 37.17%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:01 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

I remember going to the "gay bars" in Austin and more than half of the people I met were from San Antonio, Houston, and Waco who were traveling through the city or vacationing for the weekend. Most were looking to get drunk or to "toot it and boot it".

Austin doesn't really have a liberal scene except for all of the drug use. And maybe Eeyore's Birthday and The Brazilian Carnival count: both occur once a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlx View Post
Absolutely not. In fact, according to city-data, San Antonio has the lowest percentage of gay couples of the big Texas cities.

Austin is definitely opened minded when it comes to gay rights. Travis county was the only county in the state to vote against the gay marriage ban in 2005. Travis county had 54,000 for and 81,000 against the ban. Bexar county was 100,000 for the ban and 44,500 against the ban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 10:51 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Then prove me wrong. Give me a call, listen to my problems, invite me out for some beers, take me to some concerts, a bike ride, and then some ice cream. That's what friendly people do? Prove me wrong
Some "friendly" advice: If you want to make friends with Austinites, it's best not to bash their city first...

Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 AM

228 posts, read 537,438 times
Quote:
Don't talk bad about Austin or they will "mob" you out of their third world village.

The good thing about San Antonio and Dallas is people don't wet their pants whenever people talk bad about Texas or their cities. They might get snippy if you hate the Dallas Cowboys or The Spurs though: typical dumb sports fanatics.
There's a distinct difference between legitimate negative criticism and outright maligning of a city and its people. Your posts about Austin could almost universally be characterized as the latter. And you could absolutely expect a similarly cold response from the "mob" no matter what city you targeted.

People that "talk bad" about Austin aren't generally met with the sort of response you've received. The difference being, of course, that most people don't present outright fabrications as "evidence" and use egregious labels in attempt to make their points. Try expressing your points like an adult sometime--you just might get to experience what it's like to have others respect your opinion.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:49 AM

322 posts, read 748,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
San Antonio has the highest percentage of gay couples raising children in the nation. The big Texas three are more liberal overall and have bigger gay neighborhoods.

link about S.A. gay families.
Gay Parents Rule in San Antonio | News | The Advocate

press (http://www2.law.ucla.edu/williamsinstitute/press/S.A.HasHighestPercentageofGayCouplesRaisingChildre n.html - broken link)

San Antonio may have a larger percentage of their gay population who have children, but it has fewer gay couples than Houston, Dallas, and Austin.

Houston
Dallas
San Antonio
Austin

Again, what kind of impression do you get from the results of prop 2 in 2005? Why would the "more liberal" cities of Dallas, Houston and San Antonio be for a ban on gay marriage rights? Why would there only be one county in the state of Texas to be against the ban? 4 of the top 10 counties voting in favor of prop 2 are counties in the "less liberal" Austin metro. I believe all of the big Texas cities are gay friendly, but in no way is Austin any less liberal than Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio. That's just absurd.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:05 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Quote:
The good thing about San Antonio and Dallas is people don't wet their pants whenever people talk bad about Texas or their cities
I am from Dallas and I will not put up with any putdowns of my hometown. I like to 'tease' other Texas cities but I am going to defend them every time if a non-Texan goes after them...

Old 03-15-2011, 02:36 PM

So you will actually defend Waco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I am from Dallas and I will not put up with any putdowns of my hometown. I like to 'tease' other Texas cities but I am going to defend them every time if a non-Texan goes after them...

Old 03-15-2011, 02:45 PM

362 posts, read 1,058,056 times
Your link has Houston at .07%, San Antonio at .06% and Dallas and Austin at 1.0% not much of a difference and it mentions margin of error.
In raw numbers since the big three are bigger and have bigger populations will have larger gay populations. It shows in the number of gay bars, business, events etc. Austin does not have a gay strip like Houston, Dallas and San Antonio.

Austin is the capital so on a political standpoint gay activitist would want to be will represented there but the gay scene is the smallest.

Quote:
San Antonio may have a larger percentage of their gay population who have children, but it has fewer gay couples than Houston, Dallas, and Austin.

Houston
Dallas
San Antonio
Austin

Again, what kind of impression do you get from the results of prop 2 in 2005? Why would the "more liberal" cities of Dallas, Houston and San Antonio be for a ban on gay marriage rights? Why would there only be one county in the state of Texas to be against the ban? 4 of the top 10 counties voting in favor of prop 2 are counties in the "less liberal" Austin metro. I believe all of the big Texas cities are gay friendly, but in no way is Austin any less liberal than Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio. That's just absurd.

Last edited by mikey1984; 03-15-2011 at 03:05 PM..

Old 03-15-2011, 03:09 PM

362 posts, read 1,058,056 times
Austin being a tad over Houston's percentage wouldn't give Austin more of a gay population. The same when comparing it to SA.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:08 PM

322 posts, read 748,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
Your link has Houston at .07%, San Antonio at .06% and Dallas and Austin at 1.0% not much of a difference and it mentions margin of error.
In raw numbers since the big three are bigger and have bigger populations will have larger gay populations. It shows in the number of gay bars, business, events etc. Austin does not have a gay strip like Houston, Dallas and San Antonio.

Austin is the capital so on a political standpoint gay activitist would want to be will represented there but the gay scene is the smallest.
What logic are you using? On one hand you reference an article showing San Antonio having the highest percentage of gay couples with children but when I point to percentages showing San Antonio having the lowest percentage of gay couples in Texas you say percentage doesn't matter and only shear numbers matter. When you do that it makes both of your statements garbage.

Are there a lot of political activists in suburban Hays county, apart of the Austin metro? They were the second highest county voting against the ban on gay marriage, only behind Travis county. Why couldn't liberal San Antonio gain the same support as a "conservative" suburban area? Your argument seems to be that Austin is somehow less liberal than San Antonio, Dallas, or Houston because you perceive(falsely) Austin to have no gay area. Ill have to ask my gay family member and my gay friends when are they going to develop a gay area so Austin can finally be as liberal as San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:27 PM

What logic are you using? Are you a gay liberal living in Austin, Texas? I'm not understanding why you keep pointing to statistics when most people care about the quality of living and the way they are treated on a regular basis. If I had to live next door to 5,000 grouchy self-absorbed sheltered hateful gays like in Austin I would move ASAP. Which is what I did

I've had awesome times living next door to "conservatives": they wave, they smile, they nod, they wink, they mind their own dang business, they invite, ..... ahh good times. I'm just saying that these statistics are totally misleading and people should move where they feel the most welcomed instead of how the city voted or how the city culture is marketed. Because I know for a fact that a lot of those voters who voted against the gay marriage ban probably moved out of state. I know that Austin has three our four liberal festivals a year but that doesn't mean it's an overall welcoming and friendly city to reside in. I'd rather be somewhere where I always feel welcomed and accepted.

Quote:
What logic are you using? On one hand you reference an article showing San Antonio having the highest percentage of gay couples with children but when I point to percentages showing San Antonio having the lowest percentage of gay couples in Texas you say percentage doesn't matter and only shear numbers matter. When you do that it makes both of your statements garbage.

Are there a lot of political activists in suburban Hays county, apart of the Austin metro? They were the second highest county voting against the ban on gay marriage, only behind Travis county. Why couldn't liberal San Antonio gain the same support as a "conservative" suburban area? Your argument seems to be that Austin is somehow less liberal than San Antonio, Dallas, or Houston because you perceive(falsely) Austin to have no gay area. Ill have to ask my gay family member and my gay friends when are they going to develop a gay area so Austin can finally be as liberal as San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas