Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I live???
Houston 40 35.40%
Dallas 31 27.43%
Austin 42 37.17%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:38 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Since wear comparing our cities to movies; I have good analogy for both Austin and Houston.

Houston - Houston is like the type of movie where you go see the first time and you're kind of like "OK, it was pretty lame". However, you go watch it a few more times and you start to like it more because you start to notice and figure out all these great messages and moments in the movie that you didn't notice or pay attention to at first.

Austin - Austin is the movie where you either like it or love it after your first viewing; however, you watch it again and again and the more you watch it; the more you start to notice it's not as great as you once thought it was.
Fine, but to extend the analogy, it depends on what your taste in movies is to start with. From the O.P's description of himself, it would appear that he would be inclined to like an Austin movie better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 10:43 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Fine, but to extend the analogy, it depends on what your taste in movies is to start with. From the O.P's description of himself, it would appear that he would be inclined to like an Austin movie better.
Well that is the misconception with my post. I never stated Houston was a better movie;it's just that the more you really explore Houston and experience; the more you start liking it or at least respect it. Whereas with Austin; people tend to fall in love with it instantly, but many admit they hype it up after spending enough time there.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:45 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Austin would definitely be what you want, but like someone said, outside of it's core. It's not any different than the other metros. The difference here: Austin is geographically smaller, smaller core, but that core makes up a larger part of the city.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:47 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I did not fall in love with Austin when I first arrived: I was so bored I had no idea what to do except for grocery shopping, go to the downtown box bars, or hill country. Very boring city.

Most of the voters on this forum are lying: they are part of some Austin, Texas public relations firm. The majority of people flock to Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio because those are the bigger and better cities.

Quote:
Well that is the misconception with my post. I never stated Houston was a better movie;it's just that the more you really explore Houston and experience; the more you start liking it or at least respect it. Whereas with Austin; people tend to fall in love with it instantly, but many admit they hype it up after spending enough time there.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:03 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
My take on the three cities (with San Antonio thrown in for good measure), using a different analogy as the movie analogy has been exhausted. I'll use women since that always seems to work well.

Houston is a "type B" personality, very laid back. She loves to eat out (and had the wasteline to show for it until she got lipo) and lives in the present. She couldn't care less about history or the like. She is developing a taste for culture though. She just wants to live a comfortable lifestyle. She's a very indoorsy type woman, but she is a good cook and would make a decent wife and being married to her you'd have a comfortable lifestyle, if boring. She's a bit pale as she doesn't get outside much. However, she just doesn't have the motivation, some may call her lazy. Also, she likes to shop, with an emphasis on comfort. She is constantly compared negatively to her cousin LA, although they have nothing in common really.

Dallas is a "type A" personality. She exudes confidence when you first meet her, but she really has a lack of self esteem. However, she works really hard to overcome her self esteem problems. She has a really good job, works out everyday (in the best gym of course) to maintain her figure, and got a nose job and implants to get that barbie look, what she perceives to be perfect. She's always competing with her older sisters, New York and Chicago, but she's always falling short. She has a golden tan, which she gets from laying out at the pool in the summer and supplimented by her winter gold tan membership. She doesn't really do well domestically, and she loves to shop for the best and most expensive clothing, so be wary of marrying this kind of woman. Like Houston, she doesn't give a darn about history or culture. However, she does cultural things just because she's supposed to. She lives with an eye for the future. You are her stepping stone to greater and greater wealth and she'd leave you for the next best thing...

Austin is a "type A" personality but a bit more laid back than Dallas. She's naturally very beautiful and she doesn't even apply makeup most of the time. She never got any plastic surgery, she doesn't care if she's not well endowed, she worries about the long term health risks of having such a surgery. She's physically active but unlike Dallas she prefers to exercise outside, rain or shine. Because of this, her body is trim and also well tanned. She lives in the present with an eye towards the future. She's learning to value history and culture, but she's still young, give her time. She'd make an excellent wife but she's too busy right now to get tied down, she likes to be free. But she's worth the wait. She's not a shopper but when she does shop she takes to new trends like hipster styles. She's always being compared favorably to her cousins Portland and Seattle. She is similar to them, but prefers sunny weather to rain.

San Antonio is also a "type B" personality, like Houston. She's not super attractive, doesn't really believe in plastic surgery nor in working out, but she's a great cook and you can have a really good time with her. She doesn't really care what people think of her like Austin, but she doesn't have the self motivation of Austin to improve herself. What you see is what you get with her. She values tradition and history. Her older sister New Orleans taught her those values. She doesn't really like to shop but when she does she is practical about it, just as she is for everything. She absolutely loves Mexican food by the way. She is the step mother of the Texas cities and is a bit concerned that the other Texas cities aren't preserving the cultural and historical heritage of the state.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

Last edited by cBach; 03-06-2011 at 12:20 PM..

Old 03-06-2011, 11:21 AM

Back to the movie thread. I think Dallas would be a soap opera, Houston would be a cheap horror film or comedy, and Austin would be an action packed movie. San Antonio would be a history channel episode.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
My take on the three cities (with San Antonio thrown in for good measure), using a different analogy as the movie analogy has been exhausted. I'll use women since that always seems to work well.

Houston is a "type B" personality, very laid back. She loves to eat out (and had the wasteline to show for it until she got lipo) and lives in the present. She couldn't care less about history, culture, or the like. She just wants to live a comfortable lifestyle. She's a very indoorsy type woman, but she is a good cook and would make a decent wife and being married to her you'd have a comfortable lifestyle, if boring. She's a bit pale as she doesn't get outside much. However, she just doesn't have the motivation, some may call her lazy. Also, she likes to shop, with an emphasis on comfort.

Dallas is a "type A" personality. She exudes confidence when you first meet her, but she really has a lack of self esteem. However, she works really hard to overcome her self esteem problems. She has a really good job, works out everyday (in the best gym of course) to maintain her figure, and got a nose job and implants to get that barbie look, what she perceives to be perfect. She's always competing with her older sisters, New York and Chicago, but she's always falling short. She has a golden tan, which she gets from laying out at the pool in the summer and supplimented by her winter gold tan membership. She doesn't really do well domestically, and she loves to shop for the best and most expensive clothing, so be wary of marrying this kind of woman. Like Houston, she doesn't give a darn about history or culture. She lives with an eye for the future. You are her stepping stone to greater and greater wealth and she'd leave you for the next best thing...

Austin is a "type A" personality but a bit more laid back than Dallas. She's naturally very beautiful and she doesn't even apply makeup most of the time. She never got any plastic surgery, she doesn't care if she's not well endowed, she worries about the long term health risks of having such a surgery. She's physically active but unlike Dallas she prefers to exercise outside, rain or shine. Because of this, her body is trim and also well tanned. She lives in the present with an eye towards the future. She's learning to value history and culture, but she's still young, give her time. She'd make an excellent wife but she's too busy right now to get tied down, she likes to be free. She's not a shopper but when she does shop she takes to new trends like hipster styles.

San Antonio is also a "type B" personality, like Houston. She's not super attractive, doesn't really believe in plastic surgery nor in working out, but she's a great cook and you can have a really good time with her. She doesn't really care what people think of her like Austin, but she doesn't have the self motivation of Austin to improve herself. What you see is what you get with her. She values tradition and history. Her older sister New Orleans taught her those values. She doesn't really like to shop but when she does she is practical about it, just as she is for everything. She absolutely loves Mexican food by the way.

Anyway, that's how I see it.
Houston doesn't care about culture; yet it offers the most culture and cultural amenities in the state of Texas??? makes sense.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Houston doesn't care about culture; yet it offers the most culture and cultural amenities in the state of Texas??? makes sense.
True, I edited my post to reflect that. Houston doesn't care about history, but she is starting to develop a taste for culture.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Exactly. Houston is a cheap horror flick that you were not expected to like, so even if you like it a little that was unexpected. Set low expectations and you'll be surprised I guess.

Austin is an adventure packed movie. The reviews all are good and when you watch the movie you still aren't disappointed. It lived up to the high expectations.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:23 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I'd even miss Rudy's (no Rudy's in Houston).
Rudy's actually has a few locations in the Houston metro.

Rudy's "Country Store" and Bar-B-Q | Real Texas Bar-B-Q®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas