U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-03-2011, 10:07 AM

18,516 posts, read 14,738,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
That is mostly in Acapulco. That resort area has changed DRASTICALLY over the last few years as have several others along the Pacific. I would not advise going to Acapulco at all or PV. I would not steer away from Cancun, Cozumel, Riveria Maya or Cabo. Those areas are relatively safe.
I was not thinking about Acapulco when I responded. I was thinking about the recent troubles in Cancun. The violence was on the east coast not the west.

Conzumel might still be relatively safe but Cancun is getting sketchy
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 11:31 AM

769 posts, read 1,827,199 times
Quote:
Some off-topic posts above were deleted. Stick to discussing the recommendation against travel to Mexico, rather than the underlying causes. The drug war is too broad and too widespread to be discussed in a state forum.
To quote the OP:

Quote:
Warnings about traveling to Mexico starting to go out since many college and high school students are planning Spring Break trips

of course kids have insane belief in their own ability to emerge unscathed from any dangerous activity
for some of them the warnings to stay away might just provoke the opposite response
With all due respect, the UNDERLYING CAUSES ARE WHAT CAUSED THE TRAVEL ADVISORIES. If you deleted my post because of the graphic nature of the picture link I posted, understood. but I clearly included a warning as to the graphic nature of the link.
Claiming that a discussion of the underlying cause as the reason is off topic, would be like seeing a travel advisory for certain areas of the gulf coast in hurricane season, posting information or links to their effects and being told that it's scaring visitors away. It's the reality.
What is happening in Mexico is not a secret, and what I posted was simply a suggestion to get the attention of those immortals amongst us that would dare venture, without knowing at least some of the risk involved.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:15 PM

18,516 posts, read 14,738,132 times
No disrespect either, but I directly answered a question that was directly on point with the topic also. The topic is indeed vacationing in Mexico. someone replied that certain areas were safer than others and I replied that those areas are not as safe as they used to be.

That is not an underlying cause, it is directly related to list places that are getting more and more unsafe

Old 03-03-2011, 01:16 PM

8,758 posts, read 7,830,685 times
I don't understand. The warning for traveling to Mexico is BECAUSE OF the drug war. It's all one topic. The drug war has everything to do with traveling to Mexico, per the first post.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:31 PM

14,874 posts, read 21,752,901 times
Yes, the drug war has a lot to do with the travel warning issued. HOWEVER, the posts did veer way off topic in going into discussing the legalizing of drugs.

With that said, there have been travel advisories issued for travel to Mexico for Spring Breakers for as long as I can remember. Even when I was in high school and college long before it was ANYTHING like it is now w/ the drug wars going on. Point is, a lot of spring breakers go to places they are not familiar w/ and drop their guard and do things they know better than to do. When they do it in a foreign country it makes it even worse if they were to run into trouble or get themselves arrested for their stupid antics. Going to South Padre for spring break has been going on for decades and those college kids, for decades, have been crossing over the border for some "cultural exchange" and it was NOT to just see the sights. It was to do the things they could do and get away with there that they can not here. Every year a few would get into trouble. Usually no more than a fight, getting too drunk to come back home that night, getting raped (and sometimes by a fellow American that was there), and sometimes doing drugs and then possibly getting arrested and spending the night in a Mexican jail. So every year the U.S. would issue a travel advisory for Mexico for Spring Breakers.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $63,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,262 posts, read 19,769,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
No disrespect either, but I directly answered a question that was directly on point with the topic also. The topic is indeed vacationing in Mexico. someone replied that certain areas were safer than others and I replied that those areas are not as safe as they used to be.

That is not an underlying cause, it is directly related to list places that are getting more and more unsafe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I don't understand. The warning for traveling to Mexico is BECAUSE OF the drug war. It's all one topic. The drug war has everything to do with traveling to Mexico, per the first post.
I agree that most of the deleted posts had a connection to the topic in the OP. However, there are two different ways to be off topic at City-Data: for the thread and for the forum. The drug war is off topic for the forum.

This is one of many topics where the underlying cause of something notable in the state is more interesting to discuss than the effect in the state. Since we're posting in a state forum, we're supposed to discuss matters within the state.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:23 PM

769 posts, read 1,827,199 times
The drug war and violence associated with it is the CAUSE for the travel advisory. Texas, having a border with the affected country, Mexico, has seen it's fair share of spill over incidents in border towns and counties that's included the deaths of US law enforcement. We're not debating the point while in the Dakotas or Wisconsin. The violence isn't of the garden variety domestic dispute, or everyday purse snatching either. Skirting the issue won't make the reality any less violent or bloody.
How much more relevant to the TOPIC and FORUM would the subject have to be?

Old 03-03-2011, 04:32 PM

8,758 posts, read 7,830,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
The drug war and violence associated with it is the CAUSE for the travel advisory. Texas, having a border with the affected country, Mexico, has seen it's fair share of spill over incidents in border towns and counties that's included the deaths of US law enforcement. We're not debating the point while in the Dakotas or Wisconsin. The violence isn't of the garden variety domestic dispute, or everyday purse snatching either. Skirting the issue won't make the reality any less violent or bloody.
How much more relevant to the TOPIC and FORUM would the subject have to be?
Exactly. Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 03-03-2011 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: Per TOS, can't discuss rep in the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas