Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 02:33 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,121,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I have ZERO problems with people moving to Texas, provided they have secured jobs here before the move.

What Californians (and potential relos from dozens of other states) don't seem to realize is that we are in the early days of watching the Texas economy go to "crap" right now. Our state's 2011-2013 budget has a $30 BILLION DEFICIT (out of $80B budget). We are currently projecting 100,000 teachers (1/3 of all Texas teachers) to be laid off or forced into early retirment this summer. If you cannot see that is going to wreak havoc on the economy, TAKE YOUR BLINDERS OFF!

Class sizes will rise to 25 in elementary school and up to 35 in middle schoool & high school. Many schools are eliminating extracurriculars like art & music, slashing talented & gifted programs, scaling back/ eliminating certain athletics, eliminating bussing, etc. If you have children and intend to put them in public schools, I would strongly suggest you research the budget impact projected for districts you are interested in.

Got a job offer here? Great! Come on over! Planning to move anyway & "wing it" once you get here? All I am saying is- please be realistic about the job market come April/May when 100,000 pink slips go out and teachers flood the general job search population competing for any & all other jobs they qualify for. Those teachers have a leg up on you- they are already in TX and have community connections via family/ friends/ etc that you probably don't have.
Agree with all of this and want to add that a lot of the employers in the state are behind the teachers and will hire a laid-off teacher (all things being equal or nearly so) before an unemployed out-of-stater. We are not being hard and calloused - we are being realistic.

It sounds like the OP's husband has a job now, which won't necessarily be the case here. If the big problem is $1300 rent there - I don't know that $1100 here, with no job, sounds like a good swap. Not to mention that they cannot rent an apartment without employment.

Telling them about rainbows and unicorns does nothing to help them - and very might well hurt them. That would be calloused, to give no regard as to the damage that will cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 6,863 times
I have to disagree. I've lived all over and Dallas/ Ft. Worth is very affordable. We are in West Texas now and with the gas prices going up, and these people making money hand over fist, you better belive they are overcharging for everything out here. Try Fort Worth, it's nice and is even cheaper that Dallas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
D/FW isn't really that much cheaper than other places. Maybe by a bit, but it's not the drastic amount it's made out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas