Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:18 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times

Advertisements

They are trying to drop it to a Class C Misdemeanor (equivalent of a traffic ticket):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xchBYEoXkQ

Little by little. Baby steps is all we need. Post I had in another thread that got deleted:

Quote:
Prohibition is such a big problem.

People are going to get what they want, if it is illegal or legal, so what's the point of promoting this violence by making it illegal? Does Al Capone and alcohol prohibition ring a bell to anyone? This drug "war" will NEVER end. We've spent hundreds of billions of dollars on a pointless war that is just putting money into the DEA's pockets (they get paid when they make big busts) and killing innocent people (children even). For example, why is heroin usage in this country going way up after we invaded the number one exporter for heroin on earth (Afghanistan). Same thing with crack in the 80s (Reagan/Contra/Nicaragua, some interesting stuff). The amount of money we pour into this never ending war could instead be transferred over to help education and infrastructure in this country. Most of the drugs they are fighting against, Big Pharma has made synthetic versions of them (Marinol is a synthetic version of THC, for example). We were taught in school at a young age that drugs are bad, but oh, take this pill the doctor gave you, with all these bad side effects, and it'll make you feel better! So what if it is synthetic and not the natural version of it...synthetic is safer than natural! Right?

People now can make meth off of simple household items bought at Kroger. It would have probably never gotten this way (desperate people), if it wasn't for the prohibition against drugs. I mean, heroin and cocaine were legal and used for medication during the early 1900s (Heroin and Aspirin were the new medications made by Bayer back then, for example). The US Government has put themselves into deep ****. People are becoming more knowledgeable now about it all and it's about to flip come 2012 I bet. This will be a big issue. The drug violence is getting worse and people are tired of it. Prohibition obviously has not worked, and will never work. And the percentage of people addicted to drugs today are not higher than they were in 1900.

Check out some more examples of illegal drugs currently that were completely legal and safe back then: Weed, Booze, Cocaine and Other Old School "Medicine" Ads

The sooner people realize this drug war is because the government has harmless drugs like marijuana as Schedule I drugs (the worst kind) and it's really one big money circle between the DEA and Big Pharma, then maybe the violence will start ending. It's time to end the drug war. Legalize, tax, and regulate. More tax revenue for America, will keep the drugs away from the little people (you don't need an ID to buy illegal drugs), and overdoses/usage should go down (like in Portugal). In fact, Portugal only saw an increase in marijuana usage, but they have government run clinics that give healthy dosage of heroin, for example, so the overdoses went down (people can go to the doctor and get their shot safely instead of on their bathroom floor). The police force that tried to find drug users instead are being used to find REAL criminals like murderers and robbers. They look at it as a health issue rather than a criminal issue, which is what we need to do. The big problem is the private prisons built in small declining towns across America. We have to fill them somehow to help this small town's economy, so what better way to do that than to lock up people for having drugs? The sooner we end this pointless and never ending "war", the sooner we can enjoy Spring Break in Mexico again.

So tired of seeing people die over this BS. Time to stop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 08:26 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieconcarne View Post
Moved to Texas six months ago and for purely medical reasons (honest!), I've been trying to find a local supplier of cannabis. It seems really contradictory to me that in this great state where the government stays out of everyone's business and everything from guns to pesticides to roadside vendors are either unregulated or have a very hands-off policy, that the state seems so backwards when it comes to medical marijuana.

Now, I'm not suggesting TX go the route of California, which when I left was being overrun by dispensaries and the herb was being smoked out in public virtually everywhere... but still, you would think that some of that libertarian tolerance would creep its way into the attitude against weed... at least on a medicinal level. And especially in this, a college town of all places.

What do you all think the future holds for medical MJ and the Lone Star state? Will we ever get more tolerant laws, or will the powers-that-be continue to find no way to distinguish between the life-destroying meth and the bag-of-Fritos-destroying spleef?
Marijuana use isn't legal here (and I don't think it should be), but you'll still see people using it in public (atleast here in San Antonio). Last year I was downtown on St. Mary's passing by a crowd when I walked thru a thin but very pungent cloud of marijuana smoke....got a little contact high, I think. Weed use really isn't at all that taboo in Texas.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
If alcohol is legal, weed should be legal. Never heard of a DWH (driving while high)...
Actually, marijuana can impair driving in many users. If it is legalized, the same restrictions need to be placed on it as alcohol.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:52 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
One thing that really surprised me was Denton. We went out in downtown Denton a few months ago and there was a group of about 5 dudes toking up on the steps of the courthouse (this was on a Saturday night). That was pretty cool.

But I dont think that is very previlent. Weed should be legal.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:08 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
One thing that really surprised me was Denton. We went out in downtown Denton a few months ago and there was a group of about 5 dudes toking up on the steps of the courthouse (this was on a Saturday night). That was pretty cool.
Denton's a college town, so no suprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
But I dont think that is very previlent. Weed should be legal.
I'm a reformed stoner (saved by Grace), so I can see it from both sides - but is it just me, or would legalizing pot drive up the costs of welfare and subsidized living because of the decrease in productivity?

Believe me, there is a decrease in productivity...

Old 03-07-2011, 09:11 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Marijuana use isn't legal here (and I don't think it should be), but you'll still see people using it in public (atleast here in San Antonio). Last year I was downtown on St. Mary's passing by a crowd when I walked thru a thin but very pungent cloud of marijuana smoke....got a little contact high, I think. Weed use really isn't at all that taboo in Texas.
Quote:
Actually, marijuana can impair driving in many users. If it is legalized, the same restrictions need to be placed on it as alcohol.
^^^^I am totally in accordance with you AlGreen. I do not believe that it should be legalized, but if it is, then there should be plenty of restrictions and limitations placed on its use.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
^^^^I am totally in accordance with you AlGreen. I do not believe that it should be legalized, but if it is, then there should be plenty of restrictions and limitations placed on its use.
Right. I'm talking DWI laws and the whole nine. Users must be above the age of 21 and it should only be available behind the counter in grocery stores and gas stations. No "weed aisles" at HEB, please....

Old 03-07-2011, 09:31 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,083 times
Quote:
Right. I'm talking DWI laws and the whole nine. Users must be above the age of 21 and it should only be available behind the counter in grocery stores and gas stations. No "weed aisles" at HEB, please....

^^^^That is exactly the approach to take. The age limit, D.W.I. rules, and the three strikes you are out enforcement.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:49 AM

714 posts, read 2,931,782 times
We have enough problems with legal alcohol and cigarettes, why make another problem?

Sometimes I think we should screen people who want to move to Texas.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
^^^^That is exactly the approach to take. The age limit, D.W.I. rules, and the three strikes you are out enforcement.
And it can't be advertised either....but be honest, Amber. If it was legal, wouldn't you be just a little tempted--let's say on a bad day when you need a pick-me-up--to just walk into a Valero and get a little pack of weed cigarettes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas