U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:57 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,424,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
We have enough problems with legal alcohol and cigarettes, why make another problem?

Sometimes I think we should screen people who want to move to Texas.

This is how I always felt because I chose to not control my alcohol use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
And it can't be advertised either....but be honest, Amber. If it was legal, wouldn't you be just a little tempted--let's say on a bad day when you need a pick-me-up--to just walk into a Valero and get a little pack of weed cigarettes?

I know it is a joke Al, but I would never be tempted. I would not set that example for my daughters who are getting close to that youthful teenage curiosity time. More and more I have turned in to how my father was with me as a hard headed boy.

Last edited by AmberAzeneth; 03-07-2011 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 10:02 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,169,754 times
Another vote to legalize it. Absolutely ridiculous that it is still illegal, when it is less detrimental than either tobacco or alcohol.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:10 AM

5,098 posts, read 4,498,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Another vote to legalize it. Absolutely ridiculous that it is still illegal, when it is less detrimental than either tobacco or alcohol.
Marijuana is also far more addictive than alcohol. I know too many people whose lives are pretty crappy because of their preoccupation with getting high.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Marijuana is also far more addictive than alcohol. I know too many people whose lives are pretty crappy because of their preoccupation with getting high.

^^^Thank you again Al. I will rep you again later(I already did earlier in this thread). Anyone who says that marijuana is not addictive(even though I think people choose to drink and use drugs heavily to cause the addiction), is incorrect.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I guess this is where personal interactions/evidence will run contrary: I know plenty of high functioning weed users and very few potheads, but know plenty of people who have let alcohol wreck their lives.

I also wonder how many of the pot heads you know would be just as lazy without weed. I'd venture to guess more than a few of them are just lazy people in general. But then again, I don't know them, so I can't say.

I do believe that on a physical/chemical level, weed is far less addictive than either alcohol or tobacco by a good margin. But psychologically, I suppose it can be just as alluring.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
^^^Thank you again Al. I will rep you again later(I already did earlier in this thread). Anyone who says that marijuana is not addictive(even though I think people choose to drink and use drugs heavily to cause the addiction), is incorrect.
I don't think weed isn't addictive, I just think it is far less addictive than tobacco or alcohol.

And addictiveness/drain on productivity aside, weed is indisputably the least dangerous on a medical level.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 AM

8,962 posts, read 8,339,398 times
Quote:
Actually, marijuana can impair driving in many users. If it is legalized, the same restrictions need to be placed on it as alcohol.
Marijuana driving is completely different than alcohol driving. It's not even close. Studies have proven that high drivers are more cautious and aware because they know they are impaired. Drunk drivers think they can do anything. Hell, the sober people on their cell phones, changing the radio station, etc., are more harmful than high drivers. I drive buzzed to work almost everyday through ****ty DFW traffic (including Downtown Dallas), with no problems. I'm a much faster driver sober, but am much more patient with other drivers and am always letting people in, using my blinkers, etc. Driving high can be pretty exciting actually.

Quote:
But it isn't addictive, at least not physically. It may be psychologically addicting, but not physically. People who can't get weed for a while don't start going crazy, like the people you see on legal drugs (Rx, cigarettes, alcohol).

Quote:
Yeah right. Marijuana is not more addictive than alcohol and it isn't even close. The people you know probably have addictive personalities and don't have their priorities straight. I know a ton of people who work white collar jobs that smoke with no problems.

Last edited by Trae713; 03-07-2011 at 10:43 AM..

Old 03-07-2011, 10:37 AM

'Face, do you really believe the legalization of the drug will stop or deter the violence?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:41 AM

8,962 posts, read 8,339,398 times
Quote:
'Face, do you really believe the legalization of the drug will stop or deter the violence?
Yep. Look at alcohol in the 1930s. Prohibition created violence and put people like Al Capone on top. Legalize drugs and regulate them, and these gangs will go out of business. People don't need to go to a shaddy dealer to buy their drugs. They can just go to the local pharmacy and get healthy doses from doctors.

We're just in too much deep **** now. The only reason why drugs like cocaine, weed, and heroin are illegal are do to racism. Look up Harry Ainslinger (Reefer Madness) and what he was doing back in the 1930s. Government was messed up for what they did and continue to do today. Luckily, states are taking notice. Was surprised when I heard Texas was dropping charges for possession of marijuana down to a Class C misdemeanor.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:42 AM

2,241 posts, read 3,018,426 times
Keep it outlawed except for medical use. It's a recreational drug. The government is not outlawing your insulin or blood pressure medicine. I'm sure there are folks that could use it responsibily, but they are definitely in the minority. As pointed out above, if it is legalized, then welfare will go through the roof. And there are a lot of studies linking it to everything from cancer to impotence. There just isn't a lot of definitive proof... yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas