U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:43 AM

2,901 posts, read 1,895,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
My wife was understanding the first 3-4 months but it wore out quick after that lol

Anyhow, what do you do again? As for me, I drove a bobtail fuel tanker and refuel frac pumps on location.

Started off in Frac, now in Cement.....pump mechanic is my main job, but work on all types of Cement equipment (Batch Mixers, ABT's, Silo's, etc)....never had done it before, but really like it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 12:15 PM

4,070 posts, read 4,062,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Started off in Frac, now in Cement.....pump mechanic is my main job, but work on all types of Cement equipment (Batch Mixers, ABT's, Silo's, etc)....never had done it before, but really like it....
Cool, I see those cement crews all over the place.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:21 PM

8,310 posts, read 21,565,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
I worked cement for about a year when I first got into the oilfield. It was onshore and we rotated 7-2, 7-2, 7-3. As often as not I would get the call at 12:01 AM following days off and wouldn't punch out until I was 4 hours into my next break. That was rough. I can't imagine how I would have done that with a family.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:43 PM

4,070 posts, read 4,062,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I worked cement for about a year when I first got into the oilfield. It was onshore and we rotated 7-2, 7-2, 7-3. As often as not I would get the call at 12:01 AM following days off and wouldn't punch out until I was 4 hours into my next break. That was rough. I can't imagine how I would have done that with a family.

The oilfield is a great place for a single guy but it can be rough on families.

I was working 12-2 and 10-20hrs with the occasional 30-40hr shift. I did that about 4-6 months. It was fun doubling up on my truck payments without blinking an eye but the wife absolutely hated it!

Old 05-19-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
The oilfield is a great place for a single guy but it can be rough on families.

I was working 12-2 and 10-20hrs with the occasional 30-40hr shift. I did that about 4-6 months. It was fun doubling up on my truck payments without blinking an eye but the wife absolutely hated it!

Noticed alot of other people are coming this way( west Texas) from other oil producing areas. We have alot transfers from Louisiana and the DFW area. Guessing gas is more abundant there, driving them here to the Permian Basin.....

Old 06-25-2012, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,455 times
Frac work.....I went to an orientation myself today to see what it was all about....16 hour days, 15 days on, 6 off(they will be going to a 14 on and 7 off next month though). A temp agency does the hiring at first. You do your 90 days probation, then it's up to Schlumberger to make you an offer. Most first year employees make between 60 and 70k according to the company spokesperson. I really appreciate your help and info

This was true for my husband too. He's been there a full year and that is what he made, and those are his days off. However, there is a rumor that the frac crews will be paid hourly in the near future instead of by bonuses as they currently are. Anyone know if this is true?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaku00 View Post
Frac work.....I went to an orientation myself today to see what it was all about....16 hour days, 15 days on, 6 off(they will be going to a 14 on and 7 off next month though). A temp agency does the hiring at first. You do your 90 days probation, then it's up to Schlumberger to make you an offer. Most first year employees make between 60 and 70k according to the company spokesperson. I really appreciate your help and info

This was true for my husband too. He's been there a full year and that is what he made, and those are his days off. However, there is a rumor that the frac crews will be paid hourly in the near future instead of by bonuses as they currently are. Anyone know if this is true?

I did hear through the grapevine that, that would happen. That's kinda what happened in Cement. The field personnel still get a bonus, but's it's very small. They mainly make their money through OT now.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:31 AM

2 posts, read 10,445 times
I was just hired by Big Red as a Frac/Acid Oper Asst I out in West Texas. I was offered hourly wages with lots of OT. Nothing about bonuses. Great benefits though. I haven't started yet, nor gone through orientation/training. I will be working 2 weeks on, 1 week off.

Does anyone know how the 1 week off is handled in pay? Nothing while off or some type of moving average? This is my biggest question I have yet to determine. Any input from our experts in this forum or anyone else, please reply. Thank you!

Old 07-06-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1971 View Post
I was just hired by Big Red as a Frac/Acid Oper Asst I out in West Texas. I was offered hourly wages with lots of OT. Nothing about bonuses. Great benefits though. I haven't started yet, nor gone through orientation/training. I will be working 2 weeks on, 1 week off.

Does anyone know how the 1 week off is handled in pay? Nothing while off or some type of moving average? This is my biggest question I have yet to determine. Any input from our experts in this forum or anyone else, please reply. Thank you!

I am guessing you will not be paid during your time off. That's how it was when I was on a 28 day on, 14 day off schedule. I am now salary and hourly/ot, so I get paid a base no matter what hours I work. I know nothing of Big Red though.....good luck

Old 07-08-2012, 11:38 PM

Schlumberger now has a mancamp in Midland.......trying to get away from the high cost of hotels in the area....from my understanding, they are for new hires with no cdl....very strict rules inside the camp, with costs associated with things like double parking, knocking holes in walls, staining the floors, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas