Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 12:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,671,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
He has a link you know... You can't really dispute the job numbers, even if he is from France. When he says things like "we should be thankful for Rick Perry", then you can pull the "he's from France" argument.
Thing is, and this is what we have been driving out with this lunatic is WHAT KIND OF JOBS ARE THESE that are supposedly being "created". Yes, I saw the chart w/ the numbers. Thing with unemployment numbers is they are not exactly truthful. If 1000 people ran out of unemployment but were still without a job it is not going to reflect that. It just shows that now there are 1000 people LESS that are ON unemployment. Doesn't mean they actually have a job.

I think he has already done the whole Rick Perry cheerleading thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 12:26 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
He has a link you know... You can't really dispute the job numbers, even if he is from France. When he says things like "we should be thankful for Rick Perry", then you can pull the "he's from France" argument.
I think the point she is making is that there are very few of these new jobs that are not s**t jobs.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:15 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,091,857 times
Here are some FACTS about the quality of jobs created in TX in January:

Texas added 44,100 jobs in January, but unemployment rate was flat | Dallas-Fort Worth Business News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

15,800 jobs in trade, transportation and utilities, a category that includes the retail business. -> 1/3 of all new jobs in VERY LOW PAYING industries. NOT GOOD.

7,600 positions in Education and health services --> ok, I'll give you that these have a high chance of being good, $40k+ paying jobs.

5,500 positions in government --> this makes sense as the Legislature is back in session. Many of these are short-term/ temporary jobs though.

3,700 positions in construction --> typically, laborers in Texas make $7-14/ hour ($15k-$28k per year) and managers make $50k+. How many of these jobs do you think were paying $15k and how many were paying $50k? I think we know the ration was about 50:1 in favor of the cheap laborer positions.

Lost 3,800 jobs in leisure & hospitality--> NOT a good sign as it could indicate that people are cutting back on entertainment/ disposable spending.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:56 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,794,118 times
I believe all of those Texas jobs were off-shored to France, Mexico, China, and India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Puh-leeeze.

We are HERE in Texas. You are in FRANCE! You are the one "with no clue". You are a 20 year old in France w/ no experience or real knowledge of the day to day work force that is IN Texas. These "new jobs" that were created....... I'D LOVE TO KNOW:
1. Where were they located?
2. What was the average base pay for these jobs?
3. Were they seasonal, temporary, part time or full time?
4. Do they include benefits?

PLEASE show us the answers to those.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,045 times
it is exciting,after all,is better than none

Old 03-12-2011, 02:25 AM

15,913 posts, read 20,113,661 times
So which is better?

~ low paying jobs
-or-
~ People collecting unemployment

~ Do people collecting unemployment get benefits?

Some of the posters here kill me, they'd LOVE TO KNOW who/what/where/when FACTS concerning the new jobs in Texas but you don't hear nary a whimper out of them concerning the governments new job creations..

I guess for them whatever the government says is fact and not to be questioned, when something good is said about Texas it's a lie........

Old 03-12-2011, 03:14 PM

173 posts, read 400,476 times
Hmmmm, how can adding a few thousand jobs in education be considered job creation when 100,000 people in that field are getting let go in the next few months. hmmmmmm, you r math is certainly creative, but inaccurate.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:00 PM

634 posts, read 1,442,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHuffenHausen View Post
Hmmmm, how can adding a few thousand jobs in education be considered job creation when 100,000 people in that field are getting let go in the next few months. hmmmmmm, you r math is certainly creative, but inaccurate.
The reports aren't talking about public education. Those positions are considered government employment. The education positions cited in these reports are usually private education positions. Trade schools, places like Pearson, and of course, for-profit universities. Go to a few of the state's web sites (Comptroller, Texas Workforce, for example). Read a few of the pdf reports there. They're not the most exciting reading, but the delineations of the data and how it is reported can be easily discerned.

Also, have a look at this:

http://www.tracer2.com/admin/uploade...TLMR-Feb11.pdf

The 44K jobs are indeed mostly in the "Trade, transportation, and utilities" sectors, with "Retail" trade seeing the largest gains between December 2010 and January 2011.

Of particular interest to me was the section on the employment numbers in the Metropolitan Statistical Areas (aka Texas's biggest cities). The trends there indicate a decrease in employment and a contraction of growth.

Also worth noting, when NOT seasonally-adjusted, Texas posts an unemployment rate of 8.5%, as opposed to the consistently touted 8.3%.

As for why low-paying jobs are better than no jobs, I couldn't agree more. A job would be nice. I know. I've tried to look for one to no avail. I am able-bodied, consider myself to be a quick learner, and was willing to learn new skills. None of those things worked to my advantage. Hundreds (heck, by this point, it may be more than a thousand!) of resumes and walk-ins later, I remain unemployed. The only thing which saved me was my mother. Long term unemployment--it's a demoralizing place to be. Never doubt that. Something happens to you when you are unable to make use of yourself. Something very deflating and something very hard.

Now, I'm waiting for my Authenticated FBI Background check to return from the Department of State and going to use that and my decidedly useless diploma to find an English Language School in South Korea at which to teach. It will amount to something which Texas, for all of these numbers and Renaud/WJ's threads, did not have for me--a job. Asi es la vida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas