U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 03:13 PM

579 posts, read 518,673 times

Advertisements

Cathy, it might be redneck entertainment, but having some folks trying the 72 oz, is a lot of fun to watch. Well, not the trashcan part, but the rest of it is great fun. In the market for a good steak, however, I choose somewhere else to eat. But the Big Texan is a lot of fun once in a while.

Camping man, I was too quickly harsh in my reply, apologies. I did not grow up in an upper middle class setting, nor have I ever been exposed to it, other than being looked down on from it. I have a real hard time with folks looking down on me, or anyone else hence the attitude I offered up. But in the normal middle/lower/low income class, there is little room for racism and it is not readily apparent. At least in the rather large circle of friends I enjoy. We are all scratching out a living, and there are few folks in that circle that even notice. Bunches are, or are products of, mixed relationships. Lots more are not, but none of us really care or even notice. The upper middle class makes up a small part of the Amarillo population and if there is some racist problem with that set of folks, then I guess there just is. To lump the entire city into an upper middle class racist problem is an unfair thing to do, however.

I don't deny it exists, and I think racism can be found in any city in the US. But to broadly paint Amarillo as racist, because of a perceived or even admitted problem in a small subset of the city is unfair and untruthful. I just don't think racism is a bigger or more noticeable problem in Amarillo than it is anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 04:56 PM

6 posts, read 9,432 times
losttechnician: it is good to hear from you again, I apologize that I have been misunderstood in my statements here, I should be more careful in how I state things. I do not believe that all Amarillo-ans are racist as they are not. Racism comes in many forms though, and the worst of all is the one that is not noticed by a vast majority of people as they do not see themselves as racist, and certainly they are not racist in the sense that they hate peoples that are different from themselves. This particular type of racism is one that keeps people self segregated, the reason we still have to use school buses in inner city settings. It is why we auto segregate ourselves in society today. I do it, as a gay man I prefer to be in a predominately gay neighborhood, I have a lot of black co-workers, the majority of them prefer to live in a predominately black neighborhood. The same seems to translate to every facet of our daily lives. Having a conscious awareness of this is one of the first steps toward moving away from seeing ourselves for our skin color, or our sexuality, or religion, or whatever. The awareness is what makes men of good character willing to make changes within themselves to accommodate a more advanced form of thinking. This is part of the evolution of mankind and is necessary for our development as a species. OK I will get of my soapbox now, Thanks for taking time to read this and have a blessed day.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:45 PM

55 posts, read 147,524 times
It seems more people from Amarillo or interested about Amarillo visit this thread so i will repeat my Q ,here!
I will be moving this month from a house to an Apt in Amarillo, and i really need a good , reputable moving company to go with. I would appreciate if you could give me some advise or share your experience! Thank you in advance!

Old 05-12-2012, 08:42 PM

I have moved in the Texas Panhandle 5 times since 1995, even moved my late mother twice in that time frame, but have always done it all myself. I wish I could help you out, but U-Haul is the only mover I am familiar with...

Old 05-12-2012, 11:03 PM

Thank you losttechnician , for quick response.the probem with the U-Haul is that you have to be at least 2 strong person to do the loading and unloading.but unfortunately we don't have any family or friends here and my husband can't do it by himself! do you have any ideas where can i hire some people just for loading and unloading , so then i could use the U-Haul facility too.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 AM

I have seen a truck around Amarillo many times marked (I think) "Two men and a Truck", or something like that. If you can find them, it would be worth talking to them at least. If you end up doing the move yourself, make sure and rent dollies too. I own an appliance dolly and a regular two wheel hand truck as well, so if something can fit on wheels, it does not get lifted by hand. Harbor Fright also has 4 wheel furniture dollies that let you roll sofas and the like. Most sofas won't fit through the door without physical handling, but being able to roll them around sure makes things better.

Moving is work, no doubt about it, and no matter how it's done. Good luck with your hunt!

Old 05-13-2012, 09:03 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your information

Old 05-07-2013, 02:38 PM

81 posts, read 152,787 times
....I'm still trying to figure out how someone from NY can dare ask about "Spanish people" taking over..... Ever met a Puerto Rican in NY? Just sayin....... Texas was part of Mexico long before it was part of the U.S.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:17 AM

465 posts, read 339,453 times
I'd be a lot more worried about the large percentages of Baptists and Republicans in Amarillo, plus the absence of water, than I would about the percentage of Hispanics there. Be prepared for Dust Bowl II.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Amarillo-Texas.html

Amarillo, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-08-2013, 10:31 AM

7,415 posts, read 7,219,147 times
Default Beef prices reach an all time high

I wasn't sure where to post this but, since beef prices probably affects the Amarillo area more than any other area in Texas, here's some bad news for bbq'ers and good news for beef producers:

To Cathy: If you're going to try to get by the Big Texan Steakhouse, dinner may now be more expensive.

Bad news at the grill as beef prices hit all-time high
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas