Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 PM

19 posts, read 65,298 times

Advertisements

I am being considering a job at the VA in Temple. I currently live in Madison, WI (not originally from here). It's way too cold and other than participating in some protests there is nothing to do here until the weather warms up for a whole 3 months. I've only been living here 5 months.
I heard Austin is a great city especially if you're single but with the gas prices so high I don't want a long commute. From what I am reading, is Temple really that boring of a place to live? I am not into the whole club scene but I do like to socialize and work out.
My other option is Florida but I will have to wait about 6 months for that.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 08:20 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,171,815 times
Find a post by xraydude, in the Texas forum and private message him. He recently started with the VA and moved to Temple.

Temple is like living in a suburb of any city. It's a busy place, about an hour from Austin and a couple of hours from Dallas. And yeah, you'll enjoy the occasional trek to the Austin area.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:21 PM

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:58 PM
k_s

405 posts, read 893,020 times
As tofurkey said, it's very suburban, as is much of Bell County. You'll be able to find things to do in the area. Because of the city's location on I-35, it'll be easy to access other areas of the state. Many people make trips to Austin (about an hour away), but you'll also be ~2 hours from Dallas and San Antonio and ~3-4 hours from Houston.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:36 AM

Well I didn't accept the job- not because I didn't want to move to Texas. I was actually looking forward to it. Hopefully something will come up again soon! Thanks for all the information!

Old 12-31-2011, 12:49 PM

7 posts, read 13,883 times
Default You dodged a bullet there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita0872 View Post
Well I didn't accept the job- not because I didn't want to move to Texas. I was actually looking forward to it. Hopefully something will come up again soon! Thanks for all the information!
I thought I'd like it here because I prefer small towns, but moving here has been a nightmare. I didn't have the time or money to find a place and move before I started work, but now my employer won't give me time off to move.

I expected friendly, straightforward people, but these people are mean drivers and arrogant and pushy in person.

I expected limited resources, but the main problem here is getting people to answer your calls, especially realtors. One called me after weeks of runaround and was disappointed to find I'd rented elsewhere. Apparently I was the second renter she'd lost that week. Small wonder.

I'd also expected limited radio, but again, instead of a lack of stations, there are too many interfering with each other. The only radio stations I can get clearly and continously are a Christian propaganda station that broadcasts creationist "documentaries", a rap station, a Mexican music station, and a country music station. Surprisingly, none of those interests me.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:57 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,193,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserthackberry View Post
I thought I'd like it here because I prefer small towns, but moving here has been a nightmare. I didn't have the time or money to find a place and move before I started work, but now my employer won't give me time off to move.

I expected friendly, straightforward people, but these people are mean drivers and arrogant and pushy in person.

I expected limited resources, but the main problem here is getting people to answer your calls, especially realtors. One called me after weeks of runaround and was disappointed to find I'd rented elsewhere. Apparently I was the second renter she'd lost that week. Small wonder.

I'd also expected limited radio, but again, instead of a lack of stations, there are too many interfering with each other. The only radio stations I can get clearly and continously are a Christian propaganda station that broadcasts creationist "documentaries", a rap station, a Mexican music station, and a country music station. Surprisingly, none of those interests me.
Sounds like somebody moved in and brought an attitude. Texans don't respond kindly to attitudes.

Time off to move? You don't have days off and night off like every other working American? Mean drivers? Limited resources? Limited radio? Realtors that won't call you back? It's not 1950 here.

You must be doing something wrong. Where did you come from?

Old 12-31-2011, 02:08 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,171,815 times
Quote:
I expected limited resources, but the main problem here is getting people to answer your calls, especially realtors.
I'd certainly agree with the part about getting people to return your calls. I had a problem getting an electrician to take an interest in doing some work. Before buying my house, I got a loan approval. They had to get one of their associate realtors to contact me because no realtor would call me back. And the loan company was in Ohio. I've since tried to get a realtor interested in listing the house... but no return call. The realtor that found this house for me drove 30 miles one way, about a half dozen times including to close the sale.

I've kind of given up on getting anything done and have about decided to move back to Dallas but thanks to political worms... I'll be losing money on the house.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:40 PM

7 posts, read 13,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Sounds like somebody moved in and brought an attitude. Texans don't respond kindly to attitudes.
Like I said, I came here expecting to like it. I loved San Antonio, but I'm starting to think it might be an oasis of normal. I've also lived in small towns before, but this isn't like any small town I've ever been to.

What I DON'T like here is the "this is my private planet" attitude. The only people I've ever met that come CLOSE to this nasty are Bratwurst Belt snowbirds, which makes me wonder if they've taken over here as well. Now THEY definitely have an attitude, but I've never seen even them enter the interstate at a crawl and then slow to a dead stop, at night, of all things. The guy behind me and I were lucky traffic was light that night, or we'd have been clobbered by a semi for sure. There didn't appear to be anything wrong with his car, and he didn't appear to be drunk. He just seemed to be miffed that we had the nerve to be behind him. Don't you find THAT kind of attitude just the least little bit egotistical, or is that just how you're raised?

Old 01-15-2012, 03:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,056,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserthackberry View Post
Like I said, I came here expecting to like it. I loved San Antonio, but I'm starting to think it might be an oasis of normal. I've also lived in small towns before, but this isn't like any small town I've ever been to.
That's because Temple isn't a small town. It's not a suburb and doesn't act as a suburb [I don't get that comparison]. It sits in a relatively populated area [400k TO 600K+. Depending how you look at it], along I-35 and in the one of the fastest growing areas in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: