Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:01 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxStorm72 View Post
I was gonna post my take on this but then I read this post. This sums it up very well for me.

One more thing, those ppl that say that Texas isn't beautiful needs to get out of their own 4 walls for a change and actually make an effort to go SEE Texas.

Agree. Texas is an absolutely gorgeous state. Those who disagree - GET OUT a little people. I know it is a large state but we have everything here.

Oh, and as for the things I dislike about Texas, I have one more thing to add besides the Summer heat.

Sorry folks, it is.........

Texas Longhorns football, basketball, baseball, and any OTHER sport they participate in.

But I still love the state of Texas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 08:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Texas is a wonderful state. There is VERY little I dislike about Texas. The only thing I dislike are the temps in the Summer when it climbs above 100 degrees. But the friendliness of the people and all of the other amenities (in our area, at least) FAR outweigh the negatives.

Did I say the people are friendly? More so than in almost any other place I've ever lived or been.

Texas, I love you. I truly do.
That pretty much sums it up for me.....what I hate the most about Texas I cannot change--the hot weather that lasts FOREVER.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
From what ethical premise do you derive this conclusion? Or source of this belief? It seems you are loosely proceeding from that of St. Thomas Aquianas...in which case you are conveniently leaving out the third justification. That is, the right/duty of the state to carry out executions based on violation of the commandment that thou shall not commit murder (BTW -- the proper terminology is a prohibition on murder, not killing per se)

Utterly and inanely ridiculous. Murder (pre-meditated or otherwise) is a legal term referring to the unlawful taking of a human life. There are fair arguments against the death-penalty (even if I disagree with them), but that it constitutes pre-meditated murder on the part of the state is ludicrous to the point of absurd. Not for the least of reasons being that "the state" did not "plan ahead of time" to kill Joe Blow. On the contrary, the executed party is presumed to have known ahead of time -- by way of lawful statutes prohibiting the unlawful taking of a human life in a way which fits the capital punishment criteria-- that his/her criminal act is potentially punishable by execution. Therefore, the state merely carried out its duty to the people of the state.

No pun intended, but the jury is still out on that one. If there is any objection I have to the death penalty it is the possiblity of an innocent person being executed. I don't think any reasonable supporter feels any differently. I could even agree with life in prison without parole over capital punishment...if there were any guarantee it would really amount to a life sentence without parole. It comes down to that nothing can ever be perfect and sometimes hard trade-offs are necessary.

Personally, I don't want a "robust and meaningful welfare state." I want a state that provides the essentials (a microscosm of what the Founding Father intended with the larger nation) -- pretty much spelled out in the Bill or Rights -- and let individuals and local communities/charities provide the "welfare" in a way we see fit to those we feel deserve/need it.

Typical meaningless, radical leftwing, emotional, drivel. What is the "common good"? Can you be more specific? It is vague, ivory-towered, speel like this that has filled up gulags and graveyards.

I am all for sacrificing for the "common-good". However, I am not going to blindly let someone else define it for me just because it make a good sound-byte. Further, in most cases, use the phrase to empower and enrich themselves.

No thanks. I prefer a free society (in the classical sense) which protects my right to make my own social and business arrangements and decide for myself who is worthy of my money and time to assist. And likewise let others do the same.

Feed all that Marxist slop to the naive undergrads.
Apparently I have to spread reputation around before I can give you more. So I'll just say, absolutely wonderful post.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:51 PM

198 posts, read 499,442 times
-nice spring and fall
-lots of scenery from East Texas to West Texas
-people take pride in their state

Dislike:
-the overly conservative state politics. I don't want Texas to be a blue state at all, just a purple one that elects people from both parties and serves as an important swing state come presidential election time.
-part of the Bible Belt. People tend to be too churchy.
-the summers are horrible.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:24 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,649 times
Very true, with Austin being the epicenter. But there are so many other reasons to love Texas. The relentless hot and humid summers, the rampid cowboy pickup truck culture (except North Dallas/Plano area), the hillbilly mantality everywhere you look, the mostly flat, treeless landscape, the bugs, the unbelievable conservatism, the overall arrogance, the gun laws (or lack thereof), the religious freaks everywhere, and last but certainly not least SLICK RICK!!!

GOD BLESS TEXAS!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The corruption, racism, and homophobia is out of control. It's mainly institutional. And it is everywhere.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:28 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
From what ethical premise do you derive this conclusion? Or source of this belief? It seems you are loosely proceeding from that of St. Thomas Aquianas...in which case you are conveniently leaving out the third justification. That is, the right/duty of the state to carry out executions based on violation of the commandment that thou shall not commit murder (BTW -- the proper terminology is a prohibition on murder, not killing per se)

Utterly and inanely ridiculous. Murder (pre-meditated or otherwise) is a legal term referring to the unlawful taking of a human life. There are fair arguments against the death-penalty (even if I disagree with them), but that it constitutes pre-meditated murder on the part of the state is ludicrous to the point of absurd. Not for the least of reasons being that "the state" did not "plan ahead of time" to kill Joe Blow. On the contrary, the executed party is presumed to have known ahead of time -- by way of lawful statutes prohibiting the unlawful taking of a human life in a way which fits the capital punishment criteria-- that his/her criminal act is potentially punishable by execution. Therefore, the state merely carried out its duty to the people of the state.

No pun intended, but the jury is still out on that one. If there is any objection I have to the death penalty it is the possiblity of an innocent person being executed. I don't think any reasonable supporter feels any differently. I could even agree with life in prison without parole over capital punishment...if there were any guarantee it would really amount to a life sentence without parole. It comes down to that nothing can ever be perfect and sometimes hard trade-offs are necessary.

Personally, I don't want a "robust and meaningful welfare state." I want a state that provides the essentials (a microscosm of what the Founding Father intended with the larger nation) -- pretty much spelled out in the Bill or Rights -- and let individuals and local communities/charities provide the "welfare" in a way we see fit to those we feel deserve/need it.

Typical meaningless, radical leftwing, emotional, drivel. What is the "common good"? Can you be more specific? It is vague, ivory-towered, speel like this that has filled up gulags and graveyards.

I am all for sacrificing for the "common-good". However, I am not going to blindly let someone else define it for me just because it make a good sound-byte. Further, in most cases, use the phrase to empower and enrich themselves.

No thanks. I prefer a free society (in the classical sense) which protects my right to make my own social and business arrangements and decide for myself who is worthy of my money and time to assist. And likewise let others do the same.

Feed all that Marxist slop to the naive undergrads.
Dude you need to stop watching Faux news and get out from under that rock. I wouldn't be bragging about your education by the way, you would be humbled if you knew where I was educated...

Did you know that if there was better education and more access to healthcare and other resources that many criminals would not have resorted to the lives they are currently living? Famous line from Sir Mix a Lot "Do we have gangs? Hell yeah, Micky D's ain't paying the way so they take to the street..."

In other words, the government handouts that Perry gives to corporations doesn't trickle down to the ghetto. A truly prosperous economy is one in which crime is virtually reduced to zero because almost everyone can get a job, and one that pays enough to pay the bills, so a lot of service jobs ain't going to do it. Drugs are also part of the problem, and that could be solved by legalizing drugs, but again, you conservatives, who speak free economy suddenly stop at drugs, funny how that works.

If you address the root of the problem and the weed never grows. In its place you plant a good seed that grows and contributes to society. This is even biblical and many of you conservatives claim to be Christians. If you were, you'd see that Jesus was in favor of helping the poor in all his teachings. But let me guess, you are not a Christian, just a fiscal conservative. In that case, I'll present articles showing that the death penalty costs more in litigation to the state than life in prison. I'll win every argument son.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:33 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
What I like about Texas: TexMex food, BBQ, the weather (love the summer even), and the various landforms, bluebonnets, the Hill Country, the people and city of San Antonio, the people and city of Austin, and the cost of living

What I hate about Texas: Houston, Dallas, the conservative politics, people so thick headed or set in their ways they cannot listen to reason, chicken fried steak, the sprawl, the lack of respect for the environment (Austin excluded), the provincial attitudes

Old 03-16-2011, 10:22 AM

398 posts, read 1,416,728 times
What I dislike about Texas?

Dallas.
Houston.
The majority of the people coming to live here from outside the state.
"Native" Texans who ain't really native.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:25 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan55 View Post
What I dislike about Texas?

Dallas.
Houston.
The majority of the people coming to live here from outside the state.
"Native" Texans who ain't really native.
No wonder you dont like Dallas or Houston if you dont like people from outside the state. I might throw Austin in there too if youre not crazy about transplants.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:52 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
What I like about Texas: TexMex food, BBQ, the weather (love the summer even), and the various landforms, bluebonnets, the Hill Country, the people and city of San Antonio, the people and city of Austin, and the cost of living

What I hate about Texas: Houston, Dallas, the conservative politics, people so thick headed or set in their ways they cannot listen to reason, chicken fried steak, the sprawl, the lack of respect for the environment (Austin excluded), the provincial attitudes
That pretty well sums it up for me, except that I got increasingly tired over the years of the long, hot Texas summers -- way too much of a good thing IMO.

(Doctorjef, who always feels compelled on this forum to point out that he is a 5th generation native-born Texan who lived in the state for the greater portion of his life, even if now an expat -- turn Texas blue and I'll consider moving back).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas