Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 09:18 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
I agree and disagree with your statement, I agree that geography wise yes DFW is the south but it's far from having southern culture and the same can be said about DC.
This is pretty much what Im getting at. +1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 09:19 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Nope. And coming from someone who claims to be from East Texas at that.

Texas is the south. Only East Texas is in the Deep South, but the rest of the state is located within the south.

It can still have its own distinct state identity and be included in the southern region. People act as if Georgia and Louisiana aren't any different from each other. But "Texas is Texas" is not an acceptable excuse, because it suggests that everywhere in the state has similar culture. Longview is far more like Aiken, SC than it is like Amarillo or Brownsville.
Indeed.

Things I love about Texas:

-Strong Identity & State Pride
-Economy
-Diverse Landscapes
-Diverse People
-Its Politics
-Spring Weather
-Food
-Cultural Eccentricity (Cowboy, Tex Mex, Southern, Rural, Urban, all rolled into one state)

Things I dislike about Texas:

-Summer Weather
-The Terrain of west Texas
-Illegal Aliens
-George Bush

Old 03-17-2011, 09:22 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
I agree and disagree with your statement, I agree that geography wise yes DFW is the south but it's far from having southern culture and the same can be said about DC.
How is it far from having southern culture? I must have missed that. Last I checked, Oak Cliff is about as southern as a major city can get.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:27 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
How is it far from having southern culture? I must have missed that. Last I checked, Oak Cliff is about as southern as a major city can get.
If Dallas isn't southern; than Texas isn't Texas. People are obviously ashamed of being labeled or having any affilations with the south. Dallas is very much southern with a midwestern flair, but it's southern nonetheless. Large Southern Baptist population, soul food, accents, behavior and more.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:28 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
Quote:
Oak Cliff represents only a small fraction of the entire DFW area.

Texas generally has its own attitude and culture. We are southern, true, but only geographically.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:29 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Back to the ol' concentration of black people=southern perspective. When Oak Cliff is 90% Hispanic in the next 10 years, I guess that will change.

I dont think anyone will deny that DFW has southern elements. But beyond the geography, I have yet to see anything about it that really stand out as Southern. Thats not to say that parts of it arent not Southern.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Oak Cliff represents only a small fraction of the entire DFW area.

Texas generally has its own attitude and culture. We are southern, true, but only geographically.
Oak Cliff is actually quite large. "Texas generally has its own attitude and culture" insinuates that we share a similar culture when we do not. Tell me with a straight face that people from Tyler are similar to people in El Valle, and that East Texans don't have more in common with the Southeast US than they do with West Texans. Tell me that, please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Back to the ol' concentration of black people=southern perspective. When Oak Cliff is 90% Hispanic in the next 10 years, I guess that will change.
That's not my argument, but rather that OC is one of few areas in DFW that is the least influenced by outsiders. It's one area that has through avoidance retained it's true southern heritage. Areas like this just so happen to usually be largely black areas.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:46 AM

617 posts, read 1,424,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
If Dallas isn't southern; than Texas isn't Texas. People are obviously ashamed of being labeled or having any affilations with the south. Dallas is very much southern with a midwestern flair, but it's southern nonetheless. Large Southern Baptist population, soul food, accents, behavior and more.
Gee I wonder why?

Civil Rights - Eyes on the Prize 6 - Lynch Adults

Old 03-17-2011, 09:49 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
Quote:
Oak Cliff is actually quite large. "Texas generally has its own attitude and culture" insinuates that we share a similar culture when we do not. Tell me with a straight face that people from Tyler are similar to people in El Valle, and that East Texans don't have more in common with the Southeast US than they do with West Texans. Tell me that, please.

That's not my argument, but rather that OC is one of few areas in DFW that is the least influenced by outsiders. It's one area that has through avoidance retained it's true southern heritage. Areas like this just so happen to usually be largely black areas.
Consider yourself "told". In many ways we are very similar, and in some ways, west Texans will differ from East Texans. Texas pride is different than any other state, and its pervasive. You telling me people in Mississippi or Georgia are similar in that respect? Please....

Oak Cliff may be large (I know as I was born and raised in Dallas). But it's still a fraction of the entire DFW area.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Soooo, we should be ashamed of the South because of things that happened decades before either of us were born?

But since we took it there, need I remind everyone that the most recently famous lynching took place right here in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas