Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2011, 12:58 PM

27 posts, read 23,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
HtownLove, I, and other adults, are more than qualified to make decisions about our own personal health without needing you to nanny us. That's pretty much the entire point, that you don't get to make those decisions for other adults. I'm pretty sure no one who smokes, no one who is adult enough to own a business, asked you to look after their health. I know I certainly didn't; if I, as a nonsmoker, choose to enter an establishment that allows smoking, I do so in the full knowledge that I am taking responsibility for my OWN health, same as if I choose NOT to enter said establishment, and that is as it should be.

You are attempting to infantilize anyone who doesn't agree with you, and attempting to do it with nanny legislation, at that. Or, you are attempting to get laws passed because you have neither the self-control nor the intelligence to make such decisions yourself and fear that without such laws you will feel compelled to enter smoking establishments so you want laws passed to protect you from having to take that responsibility.

In either case, SHAME ON YOU!

Try treating adults as adults, and try taking responsibility for your own decisions (in this case, making the decision not to enter a smoking establishment) rather than foisting them off on others through legislation.

Again, I ask the question (did you think it wasn't obvious that it has yet to be answered?):

If someone decides that they wish to allow smoking in their private business and marks the door to so indicate, and you don't wish to be exposed to cigarette smoke and no one forces you to enter that business, how is it that they're imposing on you in any way, shape or form?

I await a direct answer to this question. It should be amusing.

You do not however get to make my decisions for me!
If you refuse to accept the fact that you have no right
to smoke then the issue is mute. However smoking in all
public places will be banned. This includes "so called"
private business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 01:01 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
And that is an answer to the question asked how? Who is making the decisions for you in that scenario? Also, who are you making the decisions for in your scenario?

Again, do you have an actual answer for the question or would it be too painful for you to answer it and confront the answer?

Oh, and the word is "moot".

Old 04-01-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
And that is an answer to the question asked how? Who is making the decisions for you in that scenario? Also, who are you making the decisions for in your scenario?

Again, do you have an actual answer for the question or would it be too painful for you to answer it and confront the answer?

Oh, and the word is "moot".
Got me on that one!

Old 04-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Like it or not our society has decided that smoking is not allowed.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:22 PM

89 posts, read 203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObamaRama View Post
Is this some secret society you are a member of?

I have news: People like to smoke.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObamaRama View Post
Um, no, it hasn't. Smoking is still legal, cigarettes are still for sale everywhere, LOTS of people still smoke, and the law you so dearly crave that would enforce your personal preferences on others has yet to be passed.

Now, will you answer the question, or can we assume that you're afraid or unable to do so?

The tapdancing around answering any question of substance is pretty obvious, you know.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:22 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
HtownLove, I, and other adults, are more than qualified to make decisions about our own personal health without needing you to nanny us. That's pretty much the entire point, that you don't get to make those decisions for other adults. I'm pretty sure no one who smokes, no one who is adult enough to own a business, asked you to look after their health. I know I certainly didn't; if I, as a nonsmoker, choose to enter an establishment that allows smoking, I do so in the full knowledge that I am taking responsibility for my OWN health, same as if I choose NOT to enter said establishment, and that is as it should be.

You are attempting to infantilize anyone who doesn't agree with you, and attempting to do it with nanny legislation, at that. Or, you are attempting to get laws passed because you have neither the self-control nor the intelligence to make such decisions yourself and fear that without such laws you will feel compelled to enter smoking establishments so you want laws passed to protect you from having to take that responsibility.

In either case, SHAME ON YOU!

Try treating adults as adults, and try taking responsibility for your own decisions (in this case, making the decision not to enter a smoking establishment) rather than foisting them off on others through legislation.

Again, I ask the question (did you think it wasn't obvious that it has yet to be answered?):

If someone decides that they wish to allow smoking in their private business and marks the door to so indicate, and you don't wish to be exposed to cigarette smoke and no one forces you to enter that business, how is it that they're imposing on you in any way, shape or form?

I await a direct answer to this question. It should be amusing.
just because someone is over 18 does not necessarily mean they can make adult decisions. And some of the comments on here prove it. Someone has to make decisions that protect the general public.

Once a decision is made to regulate something --I don't give a daamn whether or not the business owners mark on their doors (side note- business places are public places) --its gonna be regulated.

this is not a privacy issue stop constantly trying to make it into one.

rights against intrusion only apply to PRIVATE situations in private accommodations, and even then there are regulations.

You have zero rights that are unlimited Horselady, wake up and realize that.
We don't live in HorseLady world where she can go out and do whatever she darn well pleases

Old 04-01-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Um, no, it hasn't. Smoking is still legal, cigarettes are still for sale everywhere, LOTS of people still smoke, and the law you so dearly crave that would enforce your personal preferences on others has yet to be passed.

Now, will you answer the question, or can we assume that you're afraid or unable to do so?

The tapdancing around answering any question of substance is pretty obvious, you know.
I have answered the quesion? You just don't like my answer.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekTant View Post
Is this some secret society you are a member of?

I have news: People like to smoke.

No secret society. Just the one we currently live in. You know the one that bans smoking in most places already!

Old 04-01-2011, 04:00 PM

12 posts, read 19,731 times
When did this society become a bunch of crybabies? If an establishment allows smoking on the premises and you don’t care for it, here is a hint, GO ELSEWHERE! We don’t need legislation telling us where you can or cannot smoke.

I would like to let the establishments make the final decision. Hey, have you ever heard of the free market? I’m sure smoking and non-smoking establishments can coexist. If you don’t smoke then frequent non-smoking businesses and if you do smoke then you will enjoy smoking whenever you please at an establishment that allows it… does that sound reasonable or do you still want to shove your views down our throats?

My dad is 76 yrs. old and both of his parents where heavy smokers, thank God he’s healthy and doing very well. In fact all of my aunts and uncles are healthy. My wife came from a smoking environment as well. Her dad and mom both smoked a couple of packs a day and she and her sister are in fantastic health. That second hand smoke is a killer is crap just like, dare I say, “Global warming”, no, I believe the name was changed to “Climate Change”, I’m so sorry, it was changed once again to “Global Warming Destruction”.

My point is that the data is skewed to promote whatever the agenda is to suit your outcome. Just like this society of today prefers a nanny to guide them through life. The audacity of some individuals to think that they can dictate to anyone what they can and cannot do is appalling.

Just for the record my wife and I loathe smoking and don’t allow anyone to smoke near our children or in our home. We don’t dictate what others do, but we make sure that it doesn’t affect our lifestyle or family.

I’m sure some of you will attack me because I don’t share your views, however, in the spirit of equality, I’ll have a box of tissue waiting for you when you do….

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas