Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:01 PM

758 posts, read 2,363,477 times

Advertisements

Great discussion everyone
Good manners when smoking are never out of fashion either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 01:21 PM

5 posts, read 5,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
It appears we might have to re-visit a few things that have been discussed earlier on this thread...

If you or I hit one another over the head with a baseball bat then it is criminal assault. If, on the other hand, you willingly go into a place which you know ahead of time allows smoking? Then you consented (in a sense) to the assault you might claim was inflicted on you.

What is so dad-gum hard to get about that if you don't want to breathe second-hand smoke? (and I dont either), then just dont go into a place it is allowed.
It used to be just fine in these parts to shoot someone in the street, but then it was outlawed. Just as we are trying to outlaw the assault that is second hand smoke. I'm sure there were people thinking that the government was sticking their nose in where it didn't belong and screaming about how they were not going to be able to settle their differences without the threat of a showdown.

What is so dad-burnit hard to get about that if you want to smoke, go outside.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:21 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,212,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrilllr View Post
It used to be just fine in these parts to shoot someone in the street, but then it was outlawed. Just as we are trying to outlaw the assault that is second hand smoke. I'm sure there were people thinking that the government was sticking their nose in where it didn't belong and screaming about how they were not going to be able to settle their differences without the threat of a showdown.

Couple of things. In the case of a business owner who prefers to designate their business a smoking-allowed establishment, it should be those who do not wish to be around smoke who should take the personal responsibility (yes, I know that's a really really really foreign concept to some these days, but you really ought to try it) for not patronizing that establishment - in other words, go outside.

Another problem is that it doesn't stop here. It's not as simple as just "going outside". First, it was go outside, no smoking inside. Then it was, "You can't just go outside, you have to be 15 feet away from any entrance to the building, even if that means you have to stand in the pouring rain." And now we have this little jewel from the same city that brought us the ban on transfats and is working on bans on salt and who knows what other nanny laws - how on earth did NYC ever sink so low? Wait, it must be that Bloomberg confused the meaning of the word "mayor" with "despot".

You're talking about handing over someone else's civil rights because, after all, you're not using them, never realizing that you're also handing over your own on some other issue. Or, for some, of course, it's that they want a nanny to follow them around everywhere making sure they don't have to make any decisions or take any personal responsibility (such as choosing not to patronize an establishment that allows smoking) themselves. One wonders who changes their diaper for them, frankly.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:32 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,523,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrilllr View Post
It used to be just fine in these parts to shoot someone in the street, but then it was outlawed.
When was it ever legal to just shoot someone in the street? Far as I know, murder and unprovoked assault was always against the law. Also, it is still legal to "shoot someone in the street" if you are criminally assaulted and are defending yourself against the said assault. So I am not sure of the connection here...

Quote:
Just as we are trying to outlaw the assault that is second hand smoke. I'm sure there were people thinking that the government was sticking their nose in where it didn't belong and screaming about how they were not going to be able to settle their differences without the threat of a showdown.
You are trying to draw a parallel that doesn't exist. If someone blows smoke in your face, deliberately and in a provocative way, then you are legally being assaulted. And, depending on circumstances, have the right to respond in self-protection mode. That be the case on a public street or private business.

But the connection you seem to be trying to make doesn't apply to the realm of smoking bans in privately owned businesses. If you enter a place which you knew ahead of time allowed smoking, and you are subjected to breathing second-hand smoke, then there is no assault being committed other than one you conjured up. Too, you are actually consenting to the alleged assault because you chose to enter the establishment, anyway.

Quote:
Nothing is hard to understand about that. If the place doesn't allow smoking then there is nothing hard at all to understand that:

1. I can go to another place that allows smoking
2. I can go outside and smoke.
3. I can stay home

On the flip side? What is so hard to understand that if you don't want to be around smoking? Then don't go into places where it IS allowed. All you have to do is just go elsewhere. Non-Smoking places are really not all that hard to find, anymore...

The truth is, face it, you believe your "right" to a non-smoking atmosphere supercedes the right of the actual business/property owner to make a decision as what s/he feels in the best interest of the said business and, by extension, their livelihood and means of support. As TexasHorseLady (and others of us have said), it really comes down to that such an outlook translates into that you are incapable of taking responsibility for your own choices/actions and that everyone else must adapt to your selfish desires and wishes. And as long as that is the case with an ever-growing segment out there, then they can sleep tight tonight knowing the Big Brother and Nanny State is ever ready to look after them...

Whatever...but don't ever think it is going to stop with just smoking. If the courts have ruled (and yes, some have) that government has a compelling interest in regulating "public health" (and refusing to draw a line between public safety and public health"), then don't be surprised when it all comes back to be the worst sort of Booger Man instead.

OK..time to get out of here for the evening for real. Y'all all have a good one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas