Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2011, 06:28 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
oh everyone knows it a disgusting habit, and most smokers just wanna validation of their habit
I expect better out of you, HT. How many here who have argued against a smoking ban in terms of this law presented, are smokers? Validation of WHAT habit if we no longer have the "habit"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObamaRama View Post
If smoking really were socially acceptable we wouldn't be having this discussion.
See my post concerning social pressures and its benefit to a free society. I put faith in it. You don't...even though you will use it as propoganda cover.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:51 PM

89 posts, read 203,377 times
It is difficult for me to see fellow Texans who have no problem with a runaway, regulation-crazy government. People who are willing to feed money we don't have into money-wasting machine that makes decisions it has business making. People who are willing to let the government exercise more and more control over every aspect of our daily lives.

I see an evil, money-wasting, freedom-destroying monster, and others see a concerned, protective parent. The mob mentality of "let's just ban it" or "they should just make it illegal" is dangerous. Over government was never meant to exercise this much control over us.

Soon, I won't be able to have a burger because the government says it's too bad for me. I won't be able to have a pipe or cigar in my own home because the government says it's bad for my child. This is where we are headed. Correction: This is where we have been headed. We get closer to it every time we allow the government to take a little bit of freedom away.

Now, off my soapbox. Time to watch sitcoms.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:00 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Yep, better watch 'em quick, before someone decides they aren't good for you and you shouldn't be allowed to make the decision to watch them!

Old 04-02-2011, 07:45 PM

89 posts, read 203,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yep, better watch 'em quick, before someone decides they aren't good for you and you shouldn't be allowed to make the decision to watch them!
I am so happy I am free to rot my own brain.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:59 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
I am highly amused by the people who are mistaking banning something for making it illegal to do in certain places. Typical overreaction.

There is no "right to smoke". But there is a right for the government to regulate public health.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:01 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I am less than amused by someone who wants to legislatively impose his own preferences on the rest of the population rather than taking responsibility for his own actions by not patronizing private businesses that allow smoking - who wants Mommy and Daddy to do it for him. Now, that kind of attitude is REALLY dangerous to our health and everything else.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I am highly amused by the people who are mistaking banning something for making it illegal to do in certain places. Typical overreaction.

There is no "right to smoke". But there is a right for the government to regulate public health.
There is no "right" to tell someone they can't smoke or allow it on their own property. Until tobacco becomes illegal, then that is that. Is that what you are pushing for? If so, just say so.

Regulate public health? C'mon, GMOH...are you that big a whiner? Cant you make choices for yourself? Why cant you just avoid places that allow smoking?

Old 04-03-2011, 07:33 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I expect better out of you, HT. How many here who have argued against a smoking ban in terms of this law presented, are smokers? Validation of WHAT habit if we no longer have the "habit"?
It does not apply to non smokers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
yeah, it is a typical overreaction

Old 04-03-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
It does not apply to non smokers.

yeah, it is a typical overreaction
You still don't answer the simple question, HT. What is the problem with business owners making their own decisions about whether or not to allow (or disallow) smoking on their own premises? Why can't you (or me or anyone else), just choose to go elsewhere if we don't like to be around smoking and smokers?

That seems a very fair and simple and direct question. But no one wants to answer it. What right do "you" have to tell someone else what they can or can't allow so long as it is legal and you don't have to be subjected to it if you don't want to be? I don't understand....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas