Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:59 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,677 times

Advertisements

Speaking of personal freedom, I can't believe I'm not allowed to smoke my marijuana and crack in public restaurants. Not having a choice = tyranny. Vote with your money. If you don't like the smell of my crack or your kids getting high from second hand smoke, eat elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 03:07 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Speaking of personal freedom, I can't believe I'm not allowed to smoke my marijuana and crack in public restaurants. Not having a choice = tyranny. Vote with your money. If you don't like the smell of my crack or your kids getting high from second hand smoke, eat elsewhere.

By golly, that's anti-American! Our forefathers are rolling in their graves over such a travesty!

Old 03-25-2011, 03:30 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
C'mon. Do you honestly not see the difference here? At present, pot and crack are illegal. Smoking tobacco is not.

If you want to smoke your drugs in a privately owned business then the solution is simple: First of all, campaign to make the said drugs legal. Try and change the law; there is nothing wrong with that.

Then? Well, perhaps some business people will choose to allow their clientele to smoke dope on the said premises. Those who don't want to be around dope-smokers can opt to go elsewhere. Same as those who don't like cigarette smoke are free to go elsewhere today.

I am sure your point was meant to be sarcastic. However, if so, it lacked the necessary essentials to be effective!

Old 03-25-2011, 03:45 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,677 times
My posts in this thread were meant to get a rise. I know I've been anti-public smoking in the past on this forum, but I could really care less either way these days. I can see both sides to the argument.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:53 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Is that supposed to be witty? Or insulting?

Whichever it is, it's completely and utterly stupid.
I disagree; lots of us here have been wondering the same thing for a while now. The only stupid thing is that someone chooses to live in a place that they consider to be "purgatory". If I thought that way, I'd live anywhere else even if it meant living on the streets.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:17 PM

12 posts, read 19,733 times
When did this society become a bunch of crybabies? If an establishment allows smoking on the premises and you don’t care for it, here is a hint, GO ELSEWHERE! We don’t need legislation telling us where you can or cannot smoke.

I would like to let the establishments make the final decision. Hey, have you ever heard of the free market? I’m sure smoking and non-smoking establishments can coexist. If you don’t smoke then frequent non-smoking businesses and if you do smoke then you will enjoy smoking whenever you please… does that sound reasonable or do you still want to shove your views down our throats?

My dad is 76 yrs. old and both of his parents where heavy smokers, thank God he’s healthy and doing very well. In fact all of my aunts and uncles are healthy. My wife came from a smoking environment as well. Her dad and mom both smoked a couple of packs a day and she and her sister are in fantastic health. That second hand smoke is a killer is crap just like, dare I say, “Global warming”, no, I believe the name was changed to “Climate Change”, I’m so sorry, it was changed once again to “Global Warming Destruction”.

My point is that the data is skewed to promote whatever the agenda is to suit your outcome. Just like this society of today prefers a nanny to guide them through life.

Just for the record my wife and I loathe smoking and don’t allow anyone to smoke near our children or in our home. We don’t dictate what others do, but we make sure that it doesn’t affect our lifestyle or family.

I’m sure some of you will attack me because I don’t share your views, however, in the spirit of equality, I’ll have a box of tissue waiting for you when you do….

Dan

Last edited by dantra; 03-25-2011 at 04:26 PM..

Old 03-25-2011, 04:40 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I disagree; lots of us here have been wondering the same thing for a while now. The only stupid thing is that someone chooses to live in a place that they consider to be "purgatory". If I thought that way, I'd live anywhere else even if it meant living on the streets.

You assume there is a choice.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:11 PM

415 posts, read 449,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yes, contact your legislators about any pending legislation that you think contradicts what Texas (and the United States, for that matter) stands for.

Our founding fathers must be rolling over in their graves. They expected the populace of this country to respect the freedoms of others and to take personal responsibility for their own problems, not expect the government to nanny them so they wouldn't ever have to grow up (or, apparently, ever have to die).

LOL freedom. You must be talking about the ban on gay marriage, wanting to ban abortions and an array of other "freedoms", right? You conservatives and your selective "freedom" is hilarious. Love to ban everything they disagree with but will scream " freedom" and " government needs to stay out of people's business". Pick a side. You can not have it both ways.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:40 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
^^^^^^

Hey, TexasHorseLady?

Have you been checking your watch/timer as to how long it would be before someone brought up Jim Crow laws, abortion, gay-"marriage" ---- and then Hitler, etc, into the discussion/debate?

Just wondering, cos I am thinking we had a bet on this 'un. Wasn't it I said 5 and you said 3. Or was it the other way around?

Dad-gummit, next time we gotta put it in writing fer shore....

Old 03-25-2011, 07:24 PM

172 posts, read 559,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post
LOL freedom. You must be talking about the ban on gay marriage, wanting to ban abortions and an array of other "freedoms", right? You conservatives and your selective "freedom" is hilarious. Love to ban everything they disagree with but will scream " freedom" and " government needs to stay out of people's business". Pick a side. You can not have it both ways.
Turning this into a conservative vs liberal argument serves no purpose. You do realize that liberals try to have it both ways to…right?

After spending some time mulling over TexasReb’s comments, I have moderated my position on this matter. I think I let my personal opinion of smoking get in the way of my firm belief in self-determination.

As far as TexasHorseLady, I read through 3 pages of her posts and she doesn’t appear to be inconsistent at all, quite the contrary she appears to be fully on the side of personal freedom.

Remember, there are many shades of liberal and conservative and as long you stay true to your core principals and don’t name call, you have my respect…even if I disagree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas