Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 08:33 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times

Advertisements

In the 1920s, a trickle of agricultural immigrants began arriving in Texas. A war veterans post in one city warned them to stay away, and soon thereafter, Texas enacted a state law prohibiting them from buying or even leasing land. An existing public park in Texas, named for these people's culture, was re-named for a different nationality. What country were these immigrants from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 09:43 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,973,551 times
It seems the public park could not have been a state park, since there are only two state parks named for a nationality -- Seminole and Kickapoo, and neither one seems to have a history of having been renamed. So it must have been a municipal park. I'm also reasoning that the immigrant group could not have been Mexican. There was some Greek and Middle Eastern immigration to Texas around the time, economically motivated, but my research on the web didn't suggest that it fit with the stipulations of the trivia question. I'm wondering if it could have been Chinese agricultural workers, although I couldn't find anything referring to the history of such a group in Texas -- there were Chinese railroad workers in Texas in the 1880's. So I'm stumped so far. Other rather historically disliked immigrant groups also seem to have pre-dated the 1920's and I can't find evidence of state level laws discriminating against such groups.

Maybe a hint leading to discovery of the park in question would be in order if no one is any more successful than I was.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:16 AM

782 posts, read 1,108,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
It seems the public park could not have been a state park, since there are only two state parks named for a nationality -- Seminole and Kickapoo, and neither one seems to have a history of having been renamed. So it must have been a municipal park. I'm also reasoning that the immigrant group could not have been Mexican. There was some Greek and Middle Eastern immigration to Texas around the time, economically motivated, but my research on the web didn't suggest that it fit with the stipulations of the trivia question. I'm wondering if it could have been Chinese agricultural workers, although I couldn't find anything referring to the history of such a group in Texas -- there were Chinese railroad workers in Texas in the 1880's. So I'm stumped so far. Other rather historically disliked immigrant groups also seem to have pre-dated the 1920's and I can't find evidence of state level laws discriminating against such groups.

Maybe a hint leading to discovery of the park in question would be in order if no one is any more successful than I was.
My first response was Mexican as well but am more inclined to say Chinese. They were excluded from buying or even leasing land by national law...AND the Chinese first settled in San Antonio and I seem to remember reading something about the Japanese Gardens in San Antonio originally being Chinese...

Old 12-10-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
My first response was Mexican as well but am more inclined to say Chinese. They were excluded from buying or even leasing land by national law...AND the Chinese first settled in San Antonio and I seem to remember reading something about the Japanese Gardens in San Antonio originally being Chinese...
You have the correct park in San Antonio. I can't comment on your answer without giving it away, so I'll award you the winning prize. The Japanese Tea Garden was originally Japanese, but Japan is the correct answer to the trivia question. When the Japnese were banned, the Japanese Tea Garden was renamed the Chinese Tea Garden. It then fell into neglect, and when restored recently, its name was restored as the Japanese Tea Garden.

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/o...articles/pjj01

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Ant...ese_Tea_Garden

Your turn.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:37 AM

This is a bit of a trick question as you will have to think out of the box...but being Texans you're used to that so here goes...
Other then the Pumpkin Patch Where else can you find a Pumpkin in Texas?
I will say this... this Pumpkin is NOT a gourd.

Last edited by Chanygirl; 12-10-2011 at 10:48 AM..

Old 12-10-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
This is a bit of a trick question as you will have to think out of the box...but being Texans you're used to that so here goes...
There is a Pumpkin, Texas, in San Jacinto County. Satellite view, looks like there are 4 or 5 houses there. And a Punkin Center, in Hardeman County.

How about Elmer Kelton's Texas Novel "The Pumpkin Rollers?"

Last edited by jtur88; 12-10-2011 at 11:15 AM..

Old 12-10-2011, 01:14 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:
Interesting stuff:

Quote:
Pumpkins in Texas
  • Texas is the fourth leading state in commercial pumpkin production, and generates $2.4 million for farmers, with an economic impact of $7.4 million in the state.
  • 5,000 to 8,000 acres are planted annually in Texas. 90% are in the west Texas region.
  • The pumpkin is a cucurbit, over 90% are produced for seasonal ornamental use.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:12 PM

Good try...but, wrong. Sorry!

Old 12-10-2011, 05:26 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,157,966 times
There's a DJ at the Elysium on Red River in Austin who goes by "Pumpkin Spice." I presume a takeoff on the Spice Sisters - not sure.

And Blue Bell ice cream has a seasonal "Pumpkin Spice Pecan" flavor that is to die for. Sadly haven't seen any egg nog flavored ice cream yet.

Oh yeah, there used to be a rock group that went by "Smashing Pumpkins" that played many Texas venues at one time.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Good try...but, wrong. Sorry!
The answer I gave was not wrong, it just wasn't the one you were thinking of. San Jacinto County is where you can find a Pumpkin in Texas that's not a gourd, which is all you asked for. Your question needs to be more specific, in order to exclude other plausible answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas