Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 11:40 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,846,479 times

Advertisements

OK, I'm going to give this one away because no one has made a try at it and I have a new one to ask.

Quote:
Bee Cave Bob 'Bee Cave Bob' makes his debut | kvue.com Austin

Some Central Texans are tired of all the attention payed to Punxsutawney Phil on Groundhog Day.
They're trying to draw attention to a new day they call Armadillo Day and a new way of forecasting the weather.
"The official small mammal of the State of Texas, the armadillo, is our predictor and prognosticator," said Terry Boothe, a member of group calling itself the Benevolent Knights of the Raccoon. "Our armadillo will tell us what to expect.
"We're taking something that is rightfully ours, the right to predict our own weather, as opposed to a thousand or two miles away in Pennsylvania, so it's a worthy thing to do," Boothe said. "We felt like this was a mission that was worthy of the Benevolent Knights of the Raccoon."
The group staged its first Armadillo Day Tuesday at a place called the West Pole, at Highway 71 and Bee Caves Road in the Village of Bee Cave.
YouTube

Bee Cave Bob joins Punxsutawney Phil - YouTube

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 11:44 AM

OK new question: This should be easy but its surprising how many Texan's don't know the answer. What does Texas celebrate on March 2nd?

Old 02-24-2012, 12:21 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,516,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
OK new question: This should be easy but its surprising how many Texan's don't know the answer. What does Texas celebrate on March 2nd?
LOL I just got home for lunch, so gotta get back to work, but looked in on the forum. I got a feeling you are a little irritated with your fellow Texans, right Cap?

Anyway, Texas Independence Day, which is an official state holiday.

Also, on a trivial tangent, it was the date the Texas Ordinance of Secession was dated to go into effect in 1861. ALSO...I might be wrong on this one...but on another tangent, seems like I remember it is Sam Houston's birthday.

Gotta get back to work...I'll take a stab at the earlier question this afternoon. TGIF...y'all!

Old 02-24-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL I just got home for lunch, so gotta get back to work, but looked in on the forum. I got a feeling you are a little irritated with your fellow Texans, right Cap?

Anyway, Texas Independence Day, which is an official state holiday.

Also, on a trivial tangent, it was the date the Texas Ordinance of Secession was dated to go into effect in 1861. ALSO...I might be wrong on this one...but on another tangent, seems like I remember it is Sam Houston's birthday.

Gotta get back to work...I'll take a stab at the earlier question this afternoon. TGIF...y'all!
No irritation, must an observation. I had no doubts that you would know the answer, which is why I said it should be easy. You are correct about the holiday, and it is coming up next week Friday! Your turn TexasReb.

Quote:
Texas Independence Day in United States
Texas Independence Day celebrates the adoption of the state’s independence declaration. It is an annual legal holiday in Texas, in the United States, on March 2. March 2 also marks Texas Flag Day and Sam Houston Day, although these are special observances rather than legal holidays.

Texas Independence Day commemorates the adoption of the Texas Declaration of Independence on March 2, 1836. This event marked Texas’ independence from Mexico. Sixty delegates from all over Texas signed the declaration. Its language in many ways parallels the 1776 Declaration of Independence of the United States, which is observed on Independence Day, also known as “the fourth of July”.

Last edited by CptnRn; 02-24-2012 at 01:20 PM..

Old 02-27-2012, 05:20 PM

TexasReb is busy so asked me to post a question.

Next Question: Name 8 Texas town names that make you feel good. Yes this can be found on the internet, but if you can come up with 8 of your own and justify it, that is OK too.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
TexasReb is busy so asked me to post a question.

Next Question: Name 8 Texas town names that make you feel good. Yes this can be found on the internet, but if you can come up with 8 of your own and justify it, that is OK too.
I guess this one required too much work. So here is the answer.

Happy, Texas 79042

Pep, Texas 79353

Smiley, Texas 78159

Paradise, Texas 76073

Rainbow, Texas 76077

Sweet Home, Texas 77987

Comfort, Texas 78013

Friendship, Texas 76530

If anyone else would like to ask a question, have at it.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,753 times
Good day jtur88

I'm Ric and have been doing research on the Jaybird/Woodpecker Feud. I saw your statement in here about "
warfare was triggered when a black girl was accidentally shot in the streets, in Richmond". I have read the "Wave of the Gulf" account of that incident and some other records from back in that time, but never found any mention of this girl being shot. Could you please direct me to that source? You can reach me at [email]LF1836@yahoo.com[/email]. Thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
Ric
[/FONT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas