U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-10-2011, 03:04 PM

9,766 posts, read 10,701,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Nope, that's from California. Sweetie Pie's answer was very close
Ok...Dr. Pepper is a given.

The ONLY thing I can think of is that, at one time wayyyyyyy back, I remember my grandparents calling Big Red, something like "Red cream sody...or something like that...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 03:06 PM

677 posts, read 1,371,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Ok...Dr. Pepper is a given.

The ONLY thing I can think of is that, at one time wayyyyyyy back, I remember my grandparents calling Big Red, something like "Red cream sody...or something like that...?
The question required 4 answers, two drinks and two locations. Sweetie Pie got 3 of the 4 right.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:34 PM

14,219 posts, read 19,318,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Big Red ~ San Antonio

Dr.Pepper ~ Waco
They were both invented in Waco.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Red_%28drink%29
Big Red
is a soft drink that was created by Grover C. Thomsen and R.H. Roark in Waco, Texas (1937)[1] and originally known as Sun Tang Red Cream Soda. Big Red was the sixth-highest selling soft drink company in the United States from 2002–2004, after Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Dr Pepper/7Up, Cott, and National Beverage Company.
Sweetie Pie should get to ask the next question because she got 3 out of 4 parts correct.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
The question required 4 answers, two drinks and two locations. Sweetie Pie got 3 of the 4 right.
This one had me so facinated and baffled, I violated my own rule against googling! LOL I fold my hand on this one!

Old 06-10-2011, 03:43 PM

677 posts, read 1,371,672 times
Yes, both were invented in Waco.

Next? Sweetie Pie or CptnRn?

Old 06-10-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, both were invented in Waco.

Next? Sweetie Pie or CptnRn?
I sent Sweetie Pie a PM telling her it was here turn to ask the next question. If she does not get around to it, I will post one.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:00 PM

38,739 posts, read 35,885,429 times
I don't want to try to set the rules (as a relative newcomer to the thread), but I think the game would work more fairly and smoothly if the questions were simplified to require only the central basic answer (in this case, the two bottling companies), without requiring all the additional minutiae that can be readily ascertained once the basic question is answered. SPie got "Dr Pepper and Big Red", and that should satisfy the required answer. Otherwise, you have a correct response with one minor detail wrong, and everyone else then knows the answer and the first googler wins.

Instead of "what is the most points scored by a Texas football team, who did they play, what year, who scored the most touchdowns, what stadium was the game played in, who was the stadium named after, what was his first daughter's name, what did she sing at the fifth grade recital, and what color were the ribbons in her hair?"

Last edited by jtur88; 06-10-2011 at 04:10 PM..

Old 06-10-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't want to try to set the rules, but I think the game would work more fairly and smoothly if the questions were simplified to require only the central basic answer (in this case, the two bottling companies), without requiring all the additional minutiae that can be readily ascertained once the basic question is answered. SPie got "Dr Pepper and Big Red", and that should satisfy the required answer. Otherwise, you have a correct response with one minor detail wrong, and everyone else then knows the answer and the first googler wins.
If my vote counts for anything, I definitely agree. But CapR is the OP, so I defer to his decision on this point....

Old 06-10-2011, 04:30 PM

15,916 posts, read 4,514,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I sent Sweetie Pie a PM telling her it was here turn to ask the next question. If she does not get around to it, I will post one.

LoL!!! Thanks,CptnRn.

Let me go look up the OP then I'll be back with my Q's. Hold on a dang minute!!!

Old 06-10-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88
I don't want to try to set the rules, but I think the game would work more fairly and smoothly if the questions were simplified to require only the central basic answer (in this case, the two bottling companies), without requiring all the additional minutiae that can be readily ascertained once the basic question is answered. SPie got "Dr Pepper and Big Red", and that should satisfy the required answer. Otherwise, you have a correct response with one minor detail wrong, and everyone else then knows the answer and the first googler wins.
If I were to implement a new rule, it would be "No sports trivia". But I want you all to enjoy this game to, so I'm not going to do that.

I agree that the person answering most of the question should get to ask the next question. Texasdiver probably should have given it to SPie at that point.

I like learning new things, so I find short answers that tell us little about the subject to be annoying and insufficient. Especially when, say the question has only 4 parts and the responder only answers one of them. If one cannot answer all or most of a question, they should work a little harder to find the rest of the answer. The question you asked about Vinegaroon was one of the more enjoyable ones that I have had to research and answer. And it took some work to get it.

The purpose of the thread is to have fun and learn new things, we learn very little from short answers. That is why I provide so many additional quotes, links and images with my answers. To share the knowledge with anyone who is interested.

I was surprised to learn Big Red originated in Texas and even more interested to learn it was also invented in Waco as well. I agree the winner should be the person who answered most of the question correct, unless the person who asked the question has a good reason to award it to someone else. For example there might be two correct answers (Which popular drinking soda was invented in Texas?), so it will be up to the person who asked the question which one he had intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
If my vote counts for anything, I definitely agree. But CapR is the OP, so I defer to his decision on this point....
I was sure you would like the short question/answer proposition, because you prefer to rely solely on your memory. I respect that, but in my opinion, that also makes for some boring questions and answers.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. OK lets all try to remember we are doing this to have fun. ... and learn something new.

Last edited by CptnRn; 06-10-2011 at 04:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas