Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 02:49 PM

89 posts, read 203,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
Sam Houston, and Huntsville, Texas?
He was a Senator and Governor for Tennessee.
I also thought of Davy Crockett and The Alamo but he was only a U.S. Congressman for Tennesssee.
Please verify if I am Elan.
BTW Elan, you are correct about Houston passing Dallas as the largest city in population around 1930.
Davy Crockett is the correct answer. I realize I should have included some more specifics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 03:13 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekTant View Post
Tiana was Cherokee! Got my info from ancestry.com

Speaking of ancestry, I have a question related to my ancestry.

My greatx7-grandmother was born in Tennessee. She had a little brother. This brother worked as US Senator for a while. Then, he came to Texas, where his legendary status as a "Texan" was sealed forever. Name my famous relative and his place of death.
Quote:
Sam Houston, and Huntsville, Texas?
He was a Senator and Governor for Tennessee.
I also thought of Davy Crockett and The Alamo but he was only a U.S. Congressman for Tennesssee.
Please verify if I am Elan.
BTW Elan, you are correct about Houston passing Dallas as the largest city in population around 1930.
Quote:
Davy Crockett is the correct answer. I realize I should have included some more specifics.
Hmmm, that was confusing. I thought of Davy Crocket too, but Crocket was a Representative in the U.S. House of Representatives, not the Senate.

They were sometimes both referred to as congressmen.

Quote:
In the United States, the term Congress refers jointly to both chambers or "houses" of that country's national bicameral legislature; the term Member of Congress there applies to members of both the upper house Senate and the lower House of Representatives. Rather than "Member of Congress", the more typical honorifics and terms of address are "Senator" (or "U.S. Senator") and "Representative" (or "U.S. Representative"). In the United States, U.S. Representatives are sometimes referred to by the terms Congressman, Congresswoman and Congressperson; the terms have fallen into disfavor because of their ambiguity.
Water under the bridge, but I never pass up a chance to learn something new.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
How did legendary Texas Ranger John Salmon Ford get his nickname "RIP"?
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Ford arrived in Texas in June 1836, too late to participate in the Texas Revolution. He served in the Texas army until 1838, when he opened a medical practice in the east Texas town of San Augustine. Ford practiced medicine until 1844, when he won election to the Texas legislature, advocating annexation by the United States. The following year he moved to Austin, where he purchased the Texas National Register, renaming it the Texas Democrat.

When the Mexican War began, Ford enlisted in Jack Hays' regiment of Texas Mounted Rifles. However, he was promptly appointed a lieutenant and would serve as both adjutant and medical officer. He saw active duty with his regiment in Mexico, commanding a scout company part of the time. He received the nickname 'Rip' for his peculiarity of including the words "Rest in Peace" after each and every name when composing his company's casualty lists.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:27 PM

I'm pretty sure that was correct so...

New question: In Corpus Christie, Texas, it is illegal to raise __________ in your home.

Edit: hint - I'm not talking about pot.

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-05-2011 at 04:06 PM..

Old 04-05-2011, 04:35 PM

89 posts, read 203,377 times
Yep, I called Davy Crockett a Senator instead of a Representative. Not cool of me to have to be retaught my own family history.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Yep, I called Davy Crockett a Senator instead of a Representative. Not cool of me to have to be retaught my own family history.
Pretty cool history though!

Old 04-05-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I'm pretty sure that was correct so...

New question: In Corpus Christie, Texas, it is illegal to raise __________ in your home.

Edit: hint - I'm not talking about pot.
Hint: Hunting season opened April 1. No its not a joke.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:33 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,301 times
Is it alligators Capt. Ron?

Old 04-05-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Is it alligators Capt. Ron?
That is correct. Your turn.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:37 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
That is correct. Your turn.

Thank You, Sir. I salute you.

Okay kids here we go. "What was the very first freeway in Texas and what right of way did it follow?" Good Luck Everyone. I will be back around 5:00p.m.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas