U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-10-2012, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,492 posts, read 1,419,002 times
Reputation: 861

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, obviously somebody cares, or it wouldn't be a point of discussion.
The original poster doesn't seem to care. He hasn't asked at any point whether you think speeders deserve to be ticketed. In fact, it looks like he abandoned the thread because it turned to crap.

There are cops and municipalities who are looking out for the safety of the area, and then there are those who stake out a location and give tickets to everyone they can. We are looking for the latter.

And I'll note regarding the Canton area I mentioned earlier, I just remembered I got pulled over for doing 73 at night (8 over) and just got a warning, so they (at least not all of them) aren't just trying to generate revenue, but it is an area to take it easy nonetheless.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-10-2012, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Cedar Park, Texas
1,068 posts, read 1,186,140 times
Reputation: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
And I'll note regarding the Canton area I mentioned earlier, I just remembered I got pulled over for doing 73 at night (8 over) and just got a warning, so they (at least not all of them) aren't just trying to generate revenue, but it is an area to take it easy nonetheless.
Interesting you say this. My brother has been a DPS trooper in Canton for many years and while they are VERY active in pulling people over, it isn't necessarily to write traffic tickets. I-20 is a heavily traveled route for drug trafficking, and they just never know what they may find on a "routine" traffic stop. Just last week, he stopped a vehicle and ended up fighting a guy in the ditch on the side of I-20 - by himself with no back-up - when the guy tried to run after being caught with methamphetamines.

And I personally know of many times that he has stopped speeders who had nothing else wrong, and has given them warnings instead of tickets. Most of those times, the person's attitude has been a big part of the difference between a ticket and a warning.

So what may appear to be "revenue generating" traffic stops may in actuality be an attempt to get some really nasty people off the roads of Texas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,492 posts, read 1,419,002 times
Reputation: 861
That's good to know. I never complain about getting pulled over for speeding and receiving a warning.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 06:07 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
8,968 posts, read 8,681,166 times
Reputation: 3290
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Suburbs and towns with less than 50,000 people tend to have a lot speed traps.
I remember getting pulled over in Tolar with my father. He was wearing his Navy hat... the officer told us to have a good day... but it was a speed trap.
Farmer's Branch in Dallas also does. They hide their signs behind trees and bushes. I've never gotten stopped there, but they're pretty nasty about it... I hear.
Coppell also is pretty bad.
I suspect places like Sugarland in Houston are also not a friendly.

Cities like Irving and Carrollton arn't too bad though, notice how both have a population over 100,000.
Arlington, population 364,000. Probably the largest speed trap in the Metroplex. I've never seen as many cops camped out on the freeways (and side roads) as I have in Arlington. Speeding in Arlington at night is asking for a ticket.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Northeast Texas
817 posts, read 1,003,696 times
Reputation: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Nope. You just don't want someone regulating what you like to do, even though it very obviously kills people, though you're more than willing to regulate what someone else likes to do because you don't care for it.
It is absolutely funny that you still never stop arguing about this kind of stuff. Makes me laugh, still remember me?

Can I ask you something... Why don't they pull over someone who was going speed limit and talking on the phone at the same time rather than someone who was speeding 10 over the posted speed limit who was actually paying attention? I've seen this happened a lot.

Speed does NOT obviously kill. You should research on this stuff more. Don't be looking at the government websites. I rather drive with people who drive faster than people who are distracted. Hell, if that was both then crap.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
16,498 posts, read 22,967,292 times
Reputation: 12798
They should be pulling over people talking on their cell phones, too, and in some areas (where it's been made illegal - that varies by jurisdiction), they will do so. That one thing is wrong doesn't mean that something else isn't wrong, too. Interesting "reasoning", that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2012, 04:48 AM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
8,968 posts, read 8,681,166 times
Reputation: 3290
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
It is absolutely funny that you still never stop arguing about this kind of stuff. Makes me laugh, still remember me?

Can I ask you something... Why don't they pull over someone who was going speed limit and talking on the phone at the same time rather than someone who was speeding 10 over the posted speed limit who was actually paying attention? I've seen this happened a lot.

Speed does NOT obviously kill. You should research on this stuff more. Don't be looking at the government websites. I rather drive with people who drive faster than people who are distracted. Hell, if that was both then crap.
Completely agree. I'll take driving in the pack of cars going 70-75 down the freeway (who move over from the left lane after passing) over the drivers going 58-63, with the "lead" car hogging the left lane causing traffic issues behind them. When you pass them, they are usually on their phone or doing something. I hate driving crazy, but sometimes, I have to use the emergency lane before I get trapped because some idiot in the left lane is hogging it, with an 18-wheeler or other cars coming up on my right, so I can't get over. Then they want to tap their brakes when they see me come up.

There is no hope for American drivers, unless the Feds do what they do in Germany and China. Pull over people for driving slow in the left lane, not moving to the right for faster traffic, and passing on the right. If there were signs designating each lanes' minimum speed (say, far right lane is 55MPH, next lane over is 60MPH, next lane over is 70MPH, and then the far left lane is 75MPH+), advising people to use cruise control, traffic accidents would drop and traffic flow would increase. If everyone just consistently passed the cars to their right also, everything would flow. Instead, we get roadblocks driving 60 in the second lane to the left who think just because they aren't in the left lane, then they are doing good. Nah, move to the right. You see people flying past you on all sides doing 70. When it's multiple cars, then you know it's you NOT them.

On another note people need to LEARN HOW TO MERGE! Almost got in an accident today because some dumbass lady decided to brake really hard as she is trying to merge onto the freeway. I'm already on the freeway in the right lane and there is plenty of space for her. All she has to do is freaking accelerate to like 63. I already let of my gas a little for her, but did not expect to have to slam my brakes. I can't move to my left because it's stacked, so I have to brake really hard to let her in (and only because she slammed on her brakes panicking for absolutely no reason), causing the car behind me to come up close (who was also trying to merge onto the freeway, but her unnecessary braking messed our zipper-like merge up). People are so scary. I especially like it when the left lane hogs see their exit and need to go across the entire freeway, but are too scared to merge and do what it takes to make it to their exit. Stay in the right then fools or make way for yourself! Just because you turn on your signal does not mean I have to roll out the red carpet for you. I'm not slamming my brakes when you can easily accelerate yourself. Press the gas and get in the multiple car gap in front of me.

Damn I hate driving in DFW. It's to the point where I just use the side streets now if I don't really need to use the freeway. An increase in stupid driving has happened since the New Year.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2012, 10:05 AM
 
4,260 posts, read 6,892,851 times
Reputation: 1716
I am skeptical that so many people are so law abiding. I rarely see a car that isn't going at least 5 MPH above the speed limit. Even higher than that on the open highways.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2012, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,492 posts, read 1,419,002 times
Reputation: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Almost got in an accident today because some dumbass lady decided to brake really hard as she is trying to merge onto the freeway.
I've had the same thing happen to me. In fact, I had two close calls on the same onramp seconds apart. The first was some lady turning right onto the ramp from a non-turn lane into a one-lane onramp beside me. Then, like you, some fool hit their brakes hard as they should've been merging. Traffic wasn't even that bad. It's hard driving through this city without having the urge to whoop someone's ass.

Like you said, the police and lawmakers need to do something about this. It doesn't take much thinking to figure out that if people are allowed to travel at the speeds they want to (within reason) instead of getting blocked in, they'll get to where they're going more quickly, won't be on the road for as long, and thus traffic won't be as bad. But you can't count on them to help the situation. Are there any Germans on the board that would like to sponsor my visa?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
16,498 posts, read 22,967,292 times
Reputation: 12798
I've noticed that the most dangerous drivers are those who are convinced that if only they were allowed to decide for themselves how fast they should drive and what rules of the road should apply to them, that because they are such awesome drivers that everything would be perfect.

I've also noticed that those who are the most skilled drivers who have nothing to prove because they've already proven it on the race track, and who are most intimately familiar with what happens when flesh meets thousands of pounds of metal at high speed, are the most conservative drivers on the public roads. This because they are excellent drivers and good enough to know what type of driving is appropriate where and when.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top