U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 5,903 times
Default Longview, Texas: Restaurants

Hello everyone,

I will be in Longview, Texas next week and I need to take some people out to eat for lunch and dinner on varying days.

What places are considered nice? I was on business there some years back and there wasn't much, but I was told that the area was growing and had changed. I am not looking for horrible junky chains like Olive Garden (which some people back then though was fancy) :-)

Can anyone name some nice restaurant/cafes/bistros with nice patios for lunches, places also with healthy food, mid-range, but nice, classy.

And for dinners mid-high range, classy and nice but not too much cost, not 50 dollar+ per plate. I would also like nice outside patios, seafood, steak, salads, etc. Nice wine menus, etc.

Also what cocktail bars or wine bars are there for entertaining? Not sports bars or anything, but adult bars with ages more in late 20's 30's 40's 50's. A better place to take clients or adult dates. Thanks

Last edited by Bellsaylor; 04-06-2011 at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 12:14 PM

714 posts, read 1,722,062 times
There are a lot of chain restaurants (Outback, Olive Garden, Texa Roadhouse, etc.) on Loop 281.

I like Johnny Cace's on Highway 80.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,903 times
So that is it, just chain restaurants with fried and frozen food?

Old 04-06-2011, 04:46 PM

174 posts, read 213,788 times
, think that Outback and Red Lobster are nice restaurants. Johnny Cace's is family owned, but junk. If you have traveled or come from city and know good food, u will know that there is nothing there.

To you, those places are like McDonalds. I understand. As for bars, zilch. Country bars and barely dressed tacky teens or heavy metal music. Most places will seem very backward. I know his because u asked for cocktail bars and wine bars. That work does not exist, at least in Lview

Old 04-06-2011, 05:20 PM

8,050 posts, read 10,526,704 times
I was just in a similar sized Texas town a few weeks ago for business. THE bar, a "saloon" actually, was nearly empty by 9pm and actually closed around 10:45-11pm. We were literally the only couple of people there. I think you will find the same thing in Longview.

You may be able to find "A" casual sandwich-y lunch place on the Main Street area. I would also imagine there's at least "A" decent steakhouse in town for dinner.....expect to see lots of Kendall-Jackson type/ price wines on the list.

Here's a list of restaurants in the downtown area:
LONGVIEW Restaurants | LONGVIEW Restaurant Guide | LONGVIEW, Texas

Simply put, I think your expectations are WAY too high.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:50 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,309,505 times
Yeah, bars and high-class restaurants are not Longview's strong points. I don't think there are any cocktail lounges or anything like that. The nicer restaurants are chain restaurants like Red Lobster plus a few Japanese restaurants. New restaurants are popping up in downtown but I don't think any are fine dining. It's too bad Little Italy closed down as it may have halfway met your expectations.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:29 PM

189 posts, read 412,170 times
You guys need to get out more! I look for non-chain restaurants, esp. when taking visiting friends/family out!

Joe's Italian Restaurant - awesome food, but not a fancy looking restaurant (get a dish with the red and white sauce mixed.... heavenly!)

Cafe Barron's - Excellent food and dressier atmosphere (try the bison steak topped with cheese and caramelized onions, mmmmmmm!)

El Sombrero - my favorite Mexican restaurant! (on Fri. and Sat. nights, there is a man who plays guitar and sings, from table to table.... he's very good!) And there are lots of really good Mexican restaurants here!!!

Osaka - excellent sushi and pretty much any thing else on the menu.... great atmosphere, hip... located in the downtown (great for dinner)

GZ Asian Bistro - also great sushi and pretty much anything on the menu.... contemporary decor (great for lunch or dinner)

Beth's Cafe - located in an old home with a patio.... great place for lunch (try the pot roast)

Unfortunately, the steak choices here suck.... Texas Roadhouse is your best bet (I hate Outback). Unless you don't mind a 45min. scenic drive to the little town of Avinger, TX. They have an awesome steak restaurant there, meat cut from their own cattle.... called 5D Cattle Co. Well worth the drive!

Wish we had a Greek and Indian restaurant here! But you'll have to drive to Shreveport, LA for that... which we've been known to do.

Oh... for BBQ.... Country Tavern is known for their ribs, but I'd go to the one in Kilgore.... more of a country bar type atmosphere.... fun place to eat.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions. Hope you enjoy your time here! I've been here for almost 3 yrs and am happy here, and I came from Louisville, KY (1 million population.... so quite a huge change for me!)

Old 04-06-2011, 10:34 PM

189 posts, read 412,170 times
Oh... and don't go to Johnny Cace's, went there once and it was one too many times for my hubby and me. It must've been great back in the 70s.... their decor is still from back then too! I am still scratching my head over what makes that place a great place for steaks!

Old 06-12-2011, 12:27 PM

115 posts, read 128,990 times
Applebees,chilis,outback,texas road house,red lobster etc

Old 06-13-2011, 09:24 PM

12,298 posts, read 12,937,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2TX View Post
Oh... and don't go to Johnny Cace's, went there once and it was one too many times for my hubby and me. It must've been great back in the 70s.... their decor is still from back then too! I am still scratching my head over what makes that place a great place for steaks!
Johnny Cace's is known for their fresh seafood & Cajun Food, not steaks...

They are an institution here in East Texas. Lots of famous people have eaten there over the years. We used to have a Cace's in Tyler too for many, many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas