U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-20-2011, 11:45 PM

7 posts, read 12,602 times

Advertisements

go talk to a local, if you can get the look of disgust off of their faces. they are naturally A^^holes and you'll run the other way within a matter of minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,411 times
I live in Waco and I can tell you most of the reasons its hated.

* Waco has an absolutely horrid reputation for Water Quality. -

I've heard at least 4 different people tell my friends not to drink the water if your passing through Waco.

* Crime - Waco has a high crime rate. -

A good example of this is when I left my bike (standard pedal bicycle) in front of my apartment locked up with a master lock and steel wire( wire was about the thickness of a cigarette) over Thanksgivings Break and I came back to find that some a hole had used a hack saw to cut through the wire and steal my bike. Also the thief didn't even bother picking up the evidence, he just left the cut wire and lock on the ground.

* Waco doesn't have a good entertainment infrastructure - EXCEPT - If you go to Baylor, then you've got the Baylor Bubble.

The Baylor Bubble is the general area within 2-3 blocks around the Baylor Campus that are not like any other part of Waco. - The grounds are well kept, theft is kept at a minimum by cops who patrol the area, the landscaping is spectacular, those square Emergency Posts are a common sight. - I go to TSTC and we have a grand total of 1 of those posts.

Almost everything you need is within 2-3 blocks of the campus - including a Barber Shop, The live Bear Bear Exhibit, multiple gymnasiums and weightlifting centers are available on Campus, Baylor Living Facilities have there own pools etc .......

* Terrible Drivers -

Waco and the people of Waco tend to drive haphazardly and don't mind riding your bumper to get you to drive faster. I was driving home from downtown on IH-35 and this woman was tail gating me so I sped up a little and she didn't stop so eventually I pulled over to a stop and tryed to wait for to go around me but for some odd reason she just stopped and didn't go by. So I got back on the road and just ignored her till she finally took an exit.

* Earlier someone mentioned calling Waco whacko. Well the city of Waco has taken up the phrase "Keep Waco Whacko" and you can pick up a bumper sticker with the same phrase in some restaurants and shops around Waco.

* Waco has a bad reputation in general - Overall.

I can't wait to finish my degree and get out of here.

Colby - March 18th, 2011

Old 03-19-2011, 09:31 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,312,392 times
@Colbycheese -
The "Baylor bubble" the naviety of that please get over yourself. You choose to come to TSTC or Baylor and you knew Waco was there. You put yourself in that situation and can't adapt to your surrondings, thats your fault bud-dee.

Glad your getting your degree, but you dont make it any better with your comments.

If you can survive in Waco you can live anywhere in the world.

Yada Yada - 3/19/11

Last edited by txstate; 03-19-2011 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: Blah

Old 03-19-2011, 10:18 PM

15,831 posts, read 20,033,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyCheese View Post
I live in Waco and I can tell you most of the reasons its hated.

* Waco has an absolutely horrid reputation for Water Quality. -

I've heard at least 4 different people tell my friends not to drink the water if your passing through Waco.

* Crime - Waco has a high crime rate. -

A good example of this is when I left my bike (standard pedal bicycle) in front of my apartment locked up with a master lock and steel wire( wire was about the thickness of a cigarette) over Thanksgivings Break and I came back to find that some a hole had used a hack saw to cut through the wire and steal my bike. Also the thief didn't even bother picking up the evidence, he just left the cut wire and lock on the ground.

* Waco doesn't have a good entertainment infrastructure - EXCEPT - If you go to Baylor, then you've got the Baylor Bubble.

The Baylor Bubble is the general area within 2-3 blocks around the Baylor Campus that are not like any other part of Waco. - The grounds are well kept, theft is kept at a minimum by cops who patrol the area, the landscaping is spectacular, those square Emergency Posts are a common sight. - I go to TSTC and we have a grand total of 1 of those posts.

Almost everything you need is within 2-3 blocks of the campus - including a Barber Shop, The live Bear Bear Exhibit, multiple gymnasiums and weightlifting centers are available on Campus, Baylor Living Facilities have there own pools etc .......

* Terrible Drivers -

Waco and the people of Waco tend to drive haphazardly and don't mind riding your bumper to get you to drive faster. I was driving home from downtown on IH-35 and this woman was tail gating me so I sped up a little and she didn't stop so eventually I pulled over to a stop and tryed to wait for to go around me but for some odd reason she just stopped and didn't go by. So I got back on the road and just ignored her till she finally took an exit.

* Earlier someone mentioned calling Waco whacko. Well the city of Waco has taken up the phrase "Keep Waco Whacko" and you can pick up a bumper sticker with the same phrase in some restaurants and shops around Waco.

* Waco has a bad reputation in general - Overall.

I can't wait to finish my degree and get out of here.

Colby - March 18th, 2011
Depending on Baylor for entertainment??? fail.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 3,789 times
I have been a citizen of the city of Waco all my life- And as an African American man, By far, the reprehensible thing about Waco Texas, is it racism and lack of diversity. There are clearly divided racial lines in this city, the white citizens keep it so.

Our civil service agencies have the poorest diversity of all. Our fire department doesn't have enough african american fire fighters in it to count on two hands. And the police department, out of almost 200 positions, has only 40 or so black personnel with law enforcement powers/responsibilities.

The city government and leadership also lacks diversity, because at present, we have one black city councilman who is basically a "yes man" and does very little for the community he supposedly represents. (He does what they tell him to do). And when the city does obtain grant money , due to East Waco's inclusion in its submissions, they use the money on ridiculous stuff, like play grounds, painting the sidewalk and stuff that don't really help the black community.

Now to address this:

I heard one responder on this thread call East Waco , "Rundown". The reason for these rundown conditions is simple: Lack of jobs in the immediate area and disposable income. A large majority of the citizens of East Waco are on fixed incomes. They can't afford to spend money on high dollar repairs to their homes and neighborhoods.
The money they receive is typically spent on everyday necessities which in turn prevents them from spending money on extra stuff, like home repairs, etc....... And there aren't enough programs in the City of Waco with the necessary funding to aid these folks.

And then lets move on to Colleges and learning institutions that do offer a way out through job skills training; Most African Americans in this area don't qualify for grants or loans, in excess of the amounts necessary to cover the cost of college for 2-4 years. And if they do attend such institutions, upon obtaining such training, they are forced to leave town to find jobs elsewhere, because most white oriented companies in this area, wont hire them, even with credible job skills and training. And, if they do hire them chances are they will pay them a wage, lower than their white counterparts, with comparable skills and abilities. Thus forcing them to leave town.........

And lets talk about the singles/social life in waco;
The city of Waco, has an intolerant attitude with it comes to problems. The moment an incident happens at one of these waco hotspots, the "POlice" of all people, will spearhead its removal and try to shut the establishment down.. Our local strip club was forced to close it doors, because prostitution occurred at the place.... Big deal!!!!!!!!!!! Guess who lead the movement to shut the place down? "The police"..... These cops around here are punks..... they scarry. and wont let nothing happen around here. Not just in the black part of town, they wont let night clubs in the white part of town stay open either.........

So waco has problems in a lot of areas. But the main area is Diversity....

Old 10-25-2011, 02:20 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,529,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imil101 View Post
I have been a citizen of the city of Waco all my life- And as an African American man, By far, the reprehensible thing about Waco Texas, is it racism and lack of diversity. There are clearly divided racial lines in this city, the white citizens keep it so.

Our civil service agencies have the poorest diversity of all. Our fire department doesn't have enough african american fire fighters in it to count on two hands. And the police department, out of almost 200 positions, has only 40 or so black personnel with law enforcement powers/responsibilities.

The city government and leadership also lacks diversity, because at present, we have one black city councilman who is basically a "yes man" and does very little for the community he supposedly represents. (He does what they tell him to do). And when the city does obtain grant money , due to East Waco's inclusion in its submissions, they use the money on ridiculous stuff, like play grounds, painting the sidewalk and stuff that don't really help the black community.

Now to address this:

I heard one responder on this thread call East Waco , "Rundown". The reason for these rundown conditions is simple: Lack of jobs in the immediate area and disposable income. A large majority of the citizens of East Waco are on fixed incomes. They can't afford to spend money on high dollar repairs to their homes and neighborhoods.
The money they receive is typically spent on everyday necessities which in turn prevents them from spending money on extra stuff, like home repairs, etc....... And there aren't enough programs in the City of Waco with the necessary funding to aid these folks.

And then lets move on to Colleges and learning institutions that do offer a way out through job skills training; Most African Americans in this area don't qualify for grants or loans, in excess of the amounts necessary to cover the cost of college for 2-4 years. And if they do attend such institutions, upon obtaining such training, they are forced to leave town to find jobs elsewhere, because most white oriented companies in this area, wont hire them, even with credible job skills and training. And, if they do hire them chances are they will pay them a wage, lower than their white counterparts, with comparable skills and abilities. Thus forcing them to leave town.........

And lets talk about the singles/social life in waco;
The city of Waco, has an intolerant attitude with it comes to problems. The moment an incident happens at one of these waco hotspots, the "POlice" of all people, will spearhead its removal and try to shut the establishment down.. Our local strip club was forced to close it doors, because prostitution occurred at the place.... Big deal!!!!!!!!!!! Guess who lead the movement to shut the place down? "The police"..... These cops around here are punks..... they scarry. and wont let nothing happen around here. Not just in the black part of town, they wont let night clubs in the white part of town stay open either.........

So waco has problems in a lot of areas. But the main area is Diversity....
Waco had a strip club that was a den of prostitution, and the police shut it down.....and you say that is an example of BAD police work?

You say that parts of Waco are run down b/c the city won't spend money on them, but then in the same post criticize the city for closing down a brothel? Which is it you want? The city involved in cleaning up and rebuilding the community, or the city allowing crime? Make up your mind.

I don't think you understand what you are complaining about.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:57 PM

In terms of diversity; were you expecting something on the level of Houston or Dallas??? Waco is one of the more diverse cities among its peers in Texas [the south at that].

Old 10-26-2011, 01:04 PM

4,074 posts, read 4,166,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Waco had a strip club that was a den of prostitution, and the police shut it down.....and you say that is an example of BAD police work?

You say that parts of Waco are run down b/c the city won't spend money on them, but then in the same post criticize the city for closing down a brothel? Which is it you want? The city involved in cleaning up and rebuilding the community, or the city allowing crime? Make up your mind.

I don't think you understand what you are complaining about.
I've never been to Waco..well I drove through once but never got off the highway. So I was interested to see what other had to say about Waco...besides the same old Waco stand off issue. Anyhow, I was reading through this thread and ran across the same question with the above mentioned post. It just seems to me Law Enforcement shutting down any illegal establishment is a good thing? So this has me questioning both the race of the people running this illegal establishment and the cliental. I mean it's really sounding like a racist rant but hopefully I'm wrong.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I've never been to Waco..well I drove through once but never got off the highway. So I was interested to see what other had to say about Waco...besides the same old Waco stand off issue. Anyhow, I was reading through this thread and ran across the same question with the above mentioned post. It just seems to me Law Enforcement shutting down any illegal establishment is a good thing? So this has me questioning both the race of the people running this illegal establishment and the cliental. I mean it's really sounding like a racist rant but hopefully I'm wrong.
The city of Waco never attempts to shut down a place unless their is a reason behind it. The attempted to shut down Sonny's BYOB was because they had received reports of prostitution going on within the establishment. Waco shuts down EVERYONE; race is not a factor. This isn't the 1950s.

Not mention Waco was a center for African American culture during the early to mid 1900s. We were one of the first cities in Texas to elect a black mayor and have elected a few more since. You have lots of AA leaders within the community; imil just wants to complain about something.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 10-26-2011 at 02:00 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 10:19 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,312,392 times
Lack of good paying jobs thats why ages 18-30 that are from Waco move to other cities. I am one of em, its just not worth it and the the city is catered to Baylor students honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas