Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 06:28 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2le View Post
I grew up in Dallas and graduated from UT Austin so I made many, many trips up and down I-35 during those years. The only places I'd ever seen in Waco (up close - not from a car window at 70+ mph) were the Elite Cafe, the Healthcamp and the McDonald's, where we'd only use the restrooms, and a gas station or two. That was it and my overall impression was not a positive one (except for the Elite and Healthcamp) - and it was based on ignorance. As an adult, I had to spend a week down there for a conference and was dreading the inevitable boredom. I was wrong. There's a downtown cluster of restaurants and bars (that serve liquor - shock!) and the west side next to Lake Waco was really pretty with big hill, forests and lovely homes. Once I saw the parts away from the depressing Interstate, I was impressed. Of course, I can't forget what my friends that went to Baylor told me back then...when asked what they did on weekends, they responded "drive to Austin or Dallas". LOL.
That is so true! I went to Baylor in the late 70s early 80's. Back then there wasn't much to do on the weekends. When not running a field trip for freshman geology students, we would try to go to Dallas or Austin. The only restaurants that were worth going to ware Water Works, the nice steak place, or Lone Star Steak house. This was before the Elite Cafe was remodeled. I have never been to it. It's reputation of being so gross preceded itself. We would go to George's for a Big "O" when it wasn't closed down by the City Health Department. It had a couple of good pizza places. When Exxon came to recruit we would always get them to take us to pizza Planet or Rollo's. Summer's were great thought, a lot less crowded. I was on the river sailing almost every day. THe Baylor marina was great. I often thought that if Baylor wasn't there, Waco wouldn't survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 08:48 AM

751 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Waco is like a "Little Rock, Arkansas" in Texas. 10 churches every block, nothing to do, and the people..rednecks, but not your typical Texas Bubbas, more of a Arkansas type of redneck..KKK member and Proud Rebel..One of the least interesting cities in the United States.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:10 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Start complaining when the media talks about Bush's ranch in Crawford. Make them say Waco instead!

Old 10-05-2007, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 11,190 times
I am thinking of moving to Waco. What is there to do for fun? I have a nine year old and I stay at home.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 18,521 times
Would someone 'out there' please tell this newly registered forum member how to start a new thread??? Help! (I'm thinking about relocating to Waco and have questions). Thank you!

Old 10-06-2007, 11:21 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaPat View Post
Would someone 'out there' please tell this newly registered forum member how to start a new thread??? Help! (I'm thinking about relocating to Waco and have questions). Thank you!
Go to the Texas forum and click on "New Thread". It's below the section where it lists the cities in Texas with separate forums, just under San Antonio. After clicking on "New Thread", you title it, post your questions, and submit. There you have it.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 12,623 times
I lived in Waco since I was six. Actually, until I hit sixth grade in middle school, I used to live in a very country town outside of Waco called China Spring. Waco was an improvement. But we're speaking on relative terms here.

Waco has an extreme lack of culture. Call me spoiled, but my idea of culture in a town means you have to be near the level of somewhere like Austin. All there is to really do in Waco is eat or go to the movies. Sit on your butt and get fat.

There is Cameron Park. It's actually very beautiful. One of the few good parts to Waco. But it's not exactly a great place to go when daylight is going or gone. That place is notorious for theft, rape, and even murder. It doesn't help that the Brazos flows right by it. The river is terrible. The filtration system is weak, and the locals use it as a dumping ground. I remember reading in the paper about five years ago when they were working on the damn about everything they found at the bottom of the river. The pictures looked like something taken from a dump. Tires, trash, cars, and even a few dead bodies were found.

There is something in the water. My family and friends have all experienced the terrible quality of the drinking water. Even in a recent news article, I loved how the paper said "Don't worry about your water smelling like bleach." We've put beta fish in this water, the supposedly unkillable fish, only to find them dead in a few days. My family has to filter the water to make it hospitable for their fish.

They are religious. A bit too much so in some places. Church on the Rock is a prime example. They have a third of their lawn completely covered in tiny "baby crosses" to express their views on abortion. It's an eyesore.

One of the highest crime rates in the nation. It's the theft crimes that rack up the points in this department. On a recent list of american cities with the highest crime rates, Waco popped in at around 6 or 7. You have really nice neighborhoods around Mountainview Elementary school where you can leave your car or front door unlocked. And then others were you have to bolt everything. You'll see really nice houses for about four or five blocks, and then all of a sudden a slum will show up for another four or five.

The economy is terrible. Waco doesn't grow businesses. The businesses simply move on like a parasite. Downtown waco is nearly barren. Most people refer to the two block area with all the restaurants as downtown and completely forget about the dilapidated and vacant buildings that litter the downtown area. I've also seen business after business open up and then subsequently close down. Only major chains stick around. We had a kripsy kreme and a Krystal burger in town for about half a year before they had to close down.

Valley mills is annoying. Wanna know another source for a lack of culture? Every weekend the young bodies drive up and down in their vehicles on Valley Mills, aka "The Valley." What do you wanna do this weekend? Oh, lets just stand by the side of this street and occasionally drive up and down it. It makes traffic worse, and every person with the money to afford an obnoxious sound system has to play their equally obnoxious music.

The schools are bad and getting worse. Year after year, more and more kids from WISD are failing the TAKS standards. Gang fights aren't an odd occurrence at Waco or University High.

The drivers I find to be worse than most in other towns. This is compacted from the terrible traffic. So often you have people driving 10 miles under the speed limit with others who are ten over. It seems once you enter this town, most people tend to forget basic traffic laws. Most of my near accident experiences have been in Waco.

I hate alot about Waco. But there is plenty good.

I've never been to the Dr. Pepper Museum or Texas Ranger Hall of Fame, but I've heard good things. Also, the Cameron Park Zoo is one of the best in Texas. You'll only find better in Dallas or Houston. The quality and range of animals, not to mention their living environment is phenomenal. There's the Hippodrome theatre, one of the few good parts to downtown which sadly almost got shutdown a couple of years ago. There is the Elite Cafe and Buzzard Billy's, which first opened up in Waco and is credited with the revitalization of that small area in downtown near Baylor. And then who could forget Bush's Chicken?

As far as college's go, I'm no fan of Baylor, but McLennan Community College has an amazing arts program that rivals most universities, and the professors who teach there are knowledgeable and likable. And TSTC (Texas State Technical College) is one of Waco's best kept secrets.

There is alot of good to Waco, but there is far more wrong with it. That comes from poor city leadership mostly. Sadly, at this point, there really is no shining horizon for Waco's future. It's pretty much on the road to slowly imploding upon itself.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:21 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishman85 View Post
I lived in Waco since I was six. Actually, until I hit sixth grade in middle school, I used to live in a very country town outside of Waco called China Spring. Waco was an improvement. But we're speaking on relative terms here.

Waco has an extreme lack of culture. Call me spoiled, but my idea of culture in a town means you have to be near the level of somewhere like Austin. All there is to really do in Waco is eat or go to the movies. Sit on your butt and get fat.

There is Cameron Park. It's actually very beautiful. One of the few good parts to Waco. But it's not exactly a great place to go when daylight is going or gone. That place is notorious for theft, rape, and even murder. It doesn't help that the Brazos flows right by it. The river is terrible. The filtration system is weak, and the locals use it as a dumping ground. I remember reading in the paper about five years ago when they were working on the damn about everything they found at the bottom of the river. The pictures looked like something taken from a dump. Tires, trash, cars, and even a few dead bodies were found.

There is something in the water. My family and friends have all experienced the terrible quality of the drinking water. Even in a recent news article, I loved how the paper said "Don't worry about your water smelling like bleach." We've put beta fish in this water, the supposedly unkillable fish, only to find them dead in a few days. My family has to filter the water to make it hospitable for their fish.

They are religious. A bit too much so in some places. Church on the Rock is a prime example. They have a third of their lawn completely covered in tiny "baby crosses" to express their views on abortion. It's an eyesore.

One of the highest crime rates in the nation. It's the theft crimes that rack up the points in this department. On a recent list of american cities with the highest crime rates, Waco popped in at around 6 or 7. You have really nice neighborhoods around Mountainview Elementary school where you can leave your car or front door unlocked. And then others were you have to bolt everything. You'll see really nice houses for about four or five blocks, and then all of a sudden a slum will show up for another four or five.

The economy is terrible. Waco doesn't grow businesses. The businesses simply move on like a parasite. Downtown waco is nearly barren. Most people refer to the two block area with all the restaurants as downtown and completely forget about the dilapidated and vacant buildings that litter the downtown area. I've also seen business after business open up and then subsequently close down. Only major chains stick around. We had a kripsy kreme and a Krystal burger in town for about half a year before they had to close down.

Valley mills is annoying. Wanna know another source for a lack of culture? Every weekend the young bodies drive up and down in their vehicles on Valley Mills, aka "The Valley." What do you wanna do this weekend? Oh, lets just stand by the side of this street and occasionally drive up and down it. It makes traffic worse, and every person with the money to afford an obnoxious sound system has to play their equally obnoxious music.

The schools are bad and getting worse. Year after year, more and more kids from WISD are failing the TAKS standards. Gang fights aren't an odd occurrence at Waco or University High.

The drivers I find to be worse than most in other towns. This is compacted from the terrible traffic. So often you have people driving 10 miles under the speed limit with others who are ten over. It seems once you enter this town, most people tend to forget basic traffic laws. Most of my near accident experiences have been in Waco.

I hate alot about Waco. But there is plenty good.

I've never been to the Dr. Pepper Museum or Texas Ranger Hall of Fame, but I've heard good things. Also, the Cameron Park Zoo is one of the best in Texas. You'll only find better in Dallas or Houston. The quality and range of animals, not to mention their living environment is phenomenal. There's the Hippodrome theatre, one of the few good parts to downtown which sadly almost got shutdown a couple of years ago. There is the Elite Cafe and Buzzard Billy's, which first opened up in Waco and is credited with the revitalization of that small area in downtown near Baylor. And then who could forget Bush's Chicken?

As far as college's go, I'm no fan of Baylor, but McLennan Community College has an amazing arts program that rivals most universities, and the professors who teach there are knowledgeable and likable. And TSTC (Texas State Technical College) is one of Waco's best kept secrets.

There is alot of good to Waco, but there is far more wrong with it. That comes from poor city leadership mostly. Sadly, at this point, there really is no shining horizon for Waco's future. It's pretty much on the road to slowly imploding upon itself.
If you don't mind me asking, where do you currently live? If you don't live in Waco, when was the last time you were there?
I grew up there and moved to Dallas.....that was in 1990.....Waco was basically a dump then......I returned in 2005, and was EXTREMELY IMPRESSED....
Yes I agree it needs alot of work but I have been to other cities similar in size and Waco has alot more going for it.
It is close enough to DFW & Austin that if someone gets "overly" bored they are only and hour and a half away.
Maybe Bush will put his library at Baylor and more positive stuff will happen.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:22 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
As an outsider, I believe those not too familiar with Texas associate Waco with either the Branch Davidians, a far too Conservative University (in the eyes of many city liberal types, anyways) and/or the lynching. After living in Texas for nearly 9 years I must say Waco is a nice town full of very nice people. And it's not nearly conservative as everyone says. Personally, I think College Station is much more conservative. Aggies seem to get married right away while Bears at least build their careers and wait awhile. But at the same token, it ain't Austin either!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:03 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
I always read the Branch Davidians were located in Waco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas