U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2011, 02:17 PM

26 posts, read 51,533 times

Advertisements

We are starting to look at Texas as a possible move, but one thing I hadn't considered is mosquitoes. My daughter and I are two of those people who tend to be "mosquito bait." We are good repellent for those around us, since we draw all the mosquitoes to ourselves!

I'm guessing the coastal and rainier areas of Texas have more of a mosquito problem than other areas. Input from some Texans (and only those who are prone to being bitten!) would be greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 03:00 PM

14,401 posts, read 20,713,263 times
Yes, TX has mosquitoes. Hardly ever saw them out at the lake if there was any breeze. There are more in wooded areas. They are sometimes a problem in my backyard if there is no breeze blowing. Austin, TX. You will probably have to move to someplace fairly barren and arrid to not have any mosquitoes.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:50 PM

94 posts, read 145,245 times
Houston - and the coastal counties in general - have a fairly continuous "presense" of mosquitoes. They only go "missing" around January and February.

I can't say much about other areas of the state, but there are drier areas (far west and north) that probably don't have them much. It's likely to be based on rainfall totals. Houston has about 54" per year according to Wiki. El Paso, on the other hand, only has about 9" per year.

Here's a map:
File:Map of Texas precipitations.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They've always been more of an occasional nuisance to me, rather than a big problem. I've lived here over 40 years. They're mostly a problem around sunset, and you can use repellent. The only time they've been menacing is a couple of times when at the beach. Large numbers will hang out around the dunes, a short distance from the beach.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:41 PM

3,700 posts, read 11,270,240 times
Not too bad this year so far....but we have not had any rain.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:42 PM

18,516 posts, read 16,177,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglesmith View Post
Houston - and the coastal counties in general - have a fairly continuous "presense" of mosquitoes. They only go "missing" around January and February.
that is not quite true. me and my Fiancee have been back in Houston for a year now and neither of us have seen a mosquito here or got bitten. We got eaten alive by swarms in San Antonio and Austin though, but not one in Houston. Before I moved to SA, I lived in Houston for 6 years and had no problems with skeeters.

People over play the mosquito problem in Houston. We live on the SE side, my aunt lives in the south, and we have spent time with my best friend on the southwest side and my brother in the north. I dunno where all the mosquitoes are hiding, but I have never seen one here. never seen a wriggler either. All those darn bayous, streams, tributaries drains, etc are filled with mosquito fish, so I guess they are doing their job. people who get bit my mosquitoes here should get on their neighbors case for standing water in their yards, cause that is just about the only places where the mosquitoes have left to breed.

The way people talk about mosquitoes here you would think you could walk outside and just inhale em, but nope, never seen one here

Old 04-14-2011, 05:18 PM

94 posts, read 145,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

The way people talk about mosquitoes here you would think you could walk outside and just inhale em, but nope, never seen one here
I never said that they were that bad. I said they were only an "occasional nuisance", and usually only noticeable at sunset. Maybe you don't go outside at sunset, so maybe that's why you haven't encountered them.

Since myself - and many others I know - have undeniably encounted mosquitoes, I spoke about that, as the OP requested.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:21 PM

18,516 posts, read 16,177,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglesmith View Post
I never said that they were that bad. I said they were only an "occasional nuisance", and usually only noticeable at sunset. Maybe you don't go outside at sunset, so maybe that's why you haven't encountered them.

Since myself - and many others I know - have undeniably encounted mosquitoes, I spoke about that, as the OP requested.
Oh I was not talking about you personally. When we were moving here our neighbor was talking about how she could never live in Houston because people tell her how infested with mosquitoes Houston is.

Well when we moved we would call her every week and ask her how she is dealing with the mosquitoes in San Antonio and she was always talking about the marks they left on her, then of course I would gloat about not having been bitten once.

My problem with your post was where you mentioned that it was a continual presence that has only goes away in January and February.

How I hear it there are occasional years when they are a problem, but that hasn't been the case in the last 4 years because of a lack of rain.

Mosquitoes are not even seasonal here. they don't infest on a yearly basis. So saying that it is continual was my only problem with your post.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:06 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,315,918 times
ive been bit by mosquitos bunch of times here in midland

Old 04-15-2011, 09:53 AM

14,614 posts, read 27,531,280 times
we live in DFW area and have sisters in San Antonio area and in Victoria area and family/friends spread over the state
all areas can have horrible mosquitos--
it just depends on where you live--and the season--since mosquitos don't usually breed/survive in colder weather months--but in TX they can be around from early spring into the fall months--maybe 7 - 10 mo of year if weather is mild
which is one reason pets here are supposed to have medication to prevent mosquito infection of heart worms all year long

how people in your area (and remember mosquitos can travel a mile or more looking for food daily)
control their standing water makes all the difference if you might have lots of them or fairly few

if they have gutters with leaves that hold rain water, have areas in their yard with items that catch/hold sprinkler water or rain (when we get it), if there are fountains that have still water vs moving water--if there are open run-off drains that catch any type of runoff water from people's yards --if there are vacant lots with trash like empty Coke cans or plastic containers that can catch/hold water--if there are parks with open trash barrels that don't get emptied daily

then you are at risk for mosquitos--

people who water their yards frequently can trap enough water in heavy vegetation to allow mosquitos to breed under the layers where the sun can't shine
Backyard Checklist

I think I read somewhere that two teaspoons of water was enough to grow hundreds of mosquito larvae that would become adults

so there is NO area of TX that is actually safe from them except areas where there is little natural rain and no artificial watering--and when you think of it ANY town means mosquitos are possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas