Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2011, 12:32 AM

11 posts, read 15,275 times

Advertisements

my husband & i spent quite a bit of time in mckinney a few years ago when he was investing in land in east texas. he'd work & the kids & i would rent a car & play all day-shopping etc., but i never knew anything beyond the chain stuff off 75. we live in sw mississippi and are looking to move once our oldest graduates next year.

we're headed there next month with the kids to check out the area as a family. i'm super interested in checking out the downtown area. what are can't miss places to check out/eat at in or around mckinney? the square burger is very appealing to us...i actually buy grass fed beef from texas & have it shipped to my home in mississippi.

we have a 10yo and a 2yo that will be at home then and want more/better opportunity for them. i'm a photographer, but want to slow down (just work with my most loyal clientele back home a few times a year when i'm home to visit my family) affording more time with my kids and i love being domestic and want more time to bake, cook, clean house, lol. we have a web business and can operate that anywhere with fast internet, so job opportunity isn't an issue.

i *so* desire community, friendships, neighbors, play-dates, church involvement (we're baptist), and very conservative. i want a fun social life for both my children and myself and husband. we are 32 and 45 (my oldest is actually my step daughter...i didn't get started that early ) we're excited about fresh start for our family in an exciting new community.

we're open to other areas nearby-just know of mckinney and think it's beautiful and booming with families and children. i've read some disturbing things about the MISD (did i do that right? mckinney independent school district). we send the kids to private, christian school here. are there many options for that? what i've come across in the area looks like it only goes to 8th grade. education is super important to us!

i can't really talk money regarding the move just yet. we are dave ramsey people and have a young web business that is growing at an exciting pace. if things go as we hope & project we should be able to make a move and afford a nice home in the area we decide on (within reason).

i've turned this into a plea for relocating advice, oops! thanks for reading if you made it this far. i've searched the forum and read through pages and pages of helpful advice & insight. i have made lots of notes & appreciate all the helpful texans who take the time to share the friendliness of the state (i'm so amazed at how kind texas drivers are!!) cannot be matched & we want to be a part of that! plus, my two year old's 'hook 'em horns' gesture will be much more appreciated there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 10:28 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
If you've seen all the chain restaurants & big box stores and know about the historic district/ square, that's about all there is to McKinney! It's a family oriented community of mostly homes built in the past 10-15 years- full of sub-divisions and schools. Previously, McKinney had no connection to Dallas other than being a small town 30-35 miles north. Now it's a bedroom community/suburb of Dallas with a hellacious 1+ hour commute each way to downtown.

McKinney west of 75 is regarded as better/nicer/safer than east of 75.

McKinney's schools are sub-par. The schools in Allen, Plano, and parts of Frisco (the other big Collin Co suburbs) are much much better.

As for private schools, you would probably want to add Prestonwood Baptist Academy in West Plano to your list. It's a good K-12 private Baptist school that is big enough to offer athletics & other extracurriculars. It would be about a 45 minute cross town drive from McKinney though. Also, think Allen has a school named Allen Christian Heritage or something like that that goes beyond 8th grade.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:19 PM

thanks so much for your reply!
i only know of the downtown area based on online research...can't wait to actually see/experience it once we arrive.
i like that mckinney isn't too far from dallas. we'll be sure to drive into the city around commute times when/if we want to head there...i've read lots about how awful the commute has gotten.

thanks for the west of 75 tip...i believe i seen other's mention that. good to know.

i'm so disappointed in what i've been reading about mckinney schools. we are not dead set on mckinney and will look at the surrounding suburbs you've mentioned while we are out. i already know we love allen. not so familiar with plano & frisco though.

excited about looking into prestonwood and the plano area as well as allen christian heritage. thanks so much for sharing these!

Old 04-16-2011, 04:34 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
I found the school I was thinking about- Lucas Christian Academy. Lucas is very close to Allen & McKinney. It's a k-12 school that is a combination of classes at school 3-4 days a week and home schooling 1-2 days a week. Unique model, for sure, but their curriculum online looks fairly challenging and is very reading intensive- teaching literature & history through reading the classics.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:43 PM

OMGoodness TC80! thank you so much for sharing LCA with me!! i've spent the last hour reading over everything on their site & am just in awe of the entire structure of that school!! i've always wished i had the skill/organization to make homeschooling work for our family, but my lack of time management skills make it a no-go before even giving it much consideration. i'd surely fail my children miserably. that, and the fact that my son loves recess and seeing his friends every day.

this is beyond the best of both worlds, but beside that...the curriculum...AH-MAZZE-ING!! the literature integrated into each subject, brilliant!! bennett is in fourth grade and recently tested as reading/comprehending on a 12th grade 4th month level. that said, i still have to stay on top of him with his school work as he tends to be a bit indifferent-doing well enough on his own without much effort is good enough for him, but his dad and i expect more...it tends to be a bit of a battle. the idea of my knowing exactly what is going on in each course is just the enlightenment i could use to keep him on track!

the only 'if' in this scenario is can i run a tight ship and produce a real school at home structured atmosphere for my son? this may be my answer to prayer, as i'm constantly asking for God's help in my own time management and focus. i struggle on this for myself, but it's amazing what i can do when it comes to the best interest of my kids. i am absolutely going to pray about this school-that i be open to it if it's the right fit for our family

again, thanks for bringing this University-Model School to my attention. i had no idea anything like this existed, but i will be looking into it much more!!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:47 PM

25 posts, read 43,253 times
I live here and my children go to the schools. We also lived in Allen and loved the schools there as well. My son was in the gifted program and continues to take pre-ap and ap courses. There are also lots of sport options, music options, clubs and achievement programs. I love the options and you don't get those at private schools because they are too small. There are some private schools North Texas Christian Academy is one I have heard is good and Lucas Christian as well. But don't be afraid based on a few posts from people who are reading data and have not experienced the school district.

Moderator cut: not allowed And, if you have not taken the kids to Fairview you should go walk around there. Visit Twisted Root. If you like Square Burger you will appreciate Twisted Root as well and they have buffalo and sometimes elk burgers for the more adventurous. There is also a dog park that we like to go to. It's a lot of fun and sometimes we grab yogurt afterwards.

Back to the housing...I have found that moving to a neighborhood with an elementary school within the community pretty much ensures there are lots of kiddos in the neighborhood. I live in Hidden/Chancellor Creek and love my neighborhood. Lots of community events and lots of kids out playing and visiting community pool. Hope this helps.
Tanya

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-08-2011 at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas