U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:17 PM

5,069 posts, read 5,426,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Just to gloat... In the early 60's, in Abilene, we could take Driver's Ed at school. Any student had to be at least 14, so we we're all in the 9th grade.

A few weeks of course work and we could take the state written test. Then a prescribed number of hours driving, three students to a car, alternating. My class had a Pontiac Tempest with a four speed stick on the floor, the teacher, Mr. Cook, had a break pedal on the passenger side and cough medicine in the glove box.

I took my driving test the last week in November. Fully qualified as a driver, no restrictions and covered on dad's State Farm policy.
Yeah, it was the same for me. My sister, on the other hand, found out that she had to wait until age 16, and wasn't happy about it.

Our basketball coach was our teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 11:06 AM

14,308 posts, read 25,643,382 times
My husband got one when he was that young--believe it or not so he could drive himself home from school for lunch--
no food allergies or anything--they just needed a reason to justify the issuance

Old 04-20-2011, 11:21 AM

97 posts, read 103,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggs View Post
From the article:

You have got to be kidding me?? What economic hardship? Let's see:
  1. They live in State paid for housing and much better than any other welfare recipient out there.
  2. The Guv gets chauffeured around whenever desired by a State paid for driver (State police or other).
  3. The Guv is given all types of allowances for one thing or another.
  4. They have a staff to maintain the home, cook meals, etc.
  5. I would fully expect the Guv can call the State Police for chauffeur duties for family members if he feels they need to be protected for any reason.
  6. Last but not least he is drawing $115K a year salary. How many low income people can live on what he draws?
If it is such an economic hardship then maybe Mommy Dearest should get her behind out and work a job?? I'm sure she can find someone willing to hire her just for bragging rights and window dressing even if she has no skills?
It's not economic hardship. It's a need to drive. See? Like living in a remote area. Needing to get to school or a job. See? No, I guess a liberal like you wouldn't understand.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:20 PM

I grew up on a farm, and learned to drive a truck before I could get a license. Dad needed me to drive, and not too long afterwards, I drove a tractor. No license needed on a farm.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:48 PM

557 posts, read 862,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I grew up on a farm, and learned to drive a truck before I could get a license. Dad needed me to drive, and not too long afterwards, I drove a tractor. No license needed on a farm.
Likewise for me! I drove by necessity, and that extended to driving through Houston at age 14. License?? Bah! Acquired that later, as was necessitated by law.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
Likewise for me! I drove by necessity, and that extended to driving through Houston at age 14. License?? Bah! Acquired that later, as was necessitated by law.
Hey, BTW, last time I was in Houston (early 70's) the traffic on freeways was 70 miles per hour and almost bumper to bumper. I'd never seen anything like it. Ever.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:58 PM

3,906 posts, read 5,268,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Hey, BTW, last time I was in Houston (early 70's) the traffic on freeways was 70 miles per hour and almost bumper to bumper. I'd never seen anything like it. Ever.
About the same today, Brian... except it's now 90 mph on 59 going to/from Houston/Kingwood!

You better be moving or get the heck outta the way!

Old 04-21-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
About the same today, Brian... except it's now 90 mph on 59 going to/from Houston/Kingwood!

You better be moving or get the heck outta the way!
In the Dallas area, traffic tends to slow down. Different design, I guess.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 196 times
While I understand the struggle not having a licence at 14 would do for some people... I fully understand why people are against the idea. I live in a state where you can do that, and most the kids can barely even see over the dashboard. Yes, it teaches them to be responcible, but I question if the lesson gets to the heart. All 14-year-olds know is that they have a car and they can be in it when they want. Yes, they're supposed to have their parents, but cops don't pay attention to who is what age. And the parents know this. So young teens aren't being supervised like their supposed to be.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:41 PM

2,987 posts, read 1,528,808 times
Requirements for a Hardship License in Texas | eHow.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas