U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:19 PM

1,496 posts, read 722,064 times
What you guys talking about? Texas is in great fiscal shape. I ain't gonna let no yankee do-gooders tell me how to do bidness. Uncle Perry is gonna make it all better folks...so go back to sleep. We're praying on it as we speak!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 06:28 PM

9,606 posts, read 9,254,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
All that common sense reporting by the NY times has done wonders for it's circulation numbers.
And our education system has apparently done wonders for your apostrophes.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:39 PM

3,473 posts, read 2,515,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
^^^^Exactly. The government should not be involved with supplying contraception.

^^^^^I Totally Agree with this statement! The ny times is a liberal piece of dung! It just spews what it wants.

^^^^Another totally correct statement. That was just another liberal thumping Texas article. A colossal waste of my time!
No wonder nothing ever improves with attitudes like yours. Meanwhile, the rest of the country laughs at our backward ways...

Old 04-21-2011, 09:02 PM

8,567 posts, read 4,819,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
No wonder nothing ever improves with attitudes like yours. Meanwhile, the rest of the country laughs at our backward ways...
...and cries at the fees they have to pay to drop-off their U-Hauls in Dallas or Houston or Austin.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:05 PM

6,315 posts, read 3,285,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Our beloved state is headed downward, and the spiral will continue to expand if we don't start paying attention. I don't care if you are liberal, conservative, Republican or a Democrat. This column really sums it up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/op...?_r=1&emc=eta1
UmmmmHuh and if you believe this left wing rag sheet....Calif. Michigan, Ill, NY and all the rest of em' are humming along on all eight cylinders.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:07 PM

10,066 posts, read 9,469,312 times
Don't like people having a bunch of kids?
Support "Free government paid vasectomies" = problem solved

Old 04-21-2011, 11:03 PM

534 posts, read 482,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
And our education system has apparently done wonders for your apostrophes.
Learned by reading the New York Times!
Sorry, my iPhone added it in when I was typing....guess I need to give back my graduate degree. What's the punishment...1 week ban from CD?

Old 04-22-2011, 02:06 AM

38,741 posts, read 36,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
It would be cheaper to let families be responsible for their own planning and get the government out of it entirely.
It would also be cheaper to let the parents teach the kids to read and write, too, and get the government out of the school business entirely. We can be absolutely sure (according to you) that leaving things up to the parents works out perfectly for everyone.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:15 AM

1,366 posts, read 1,475,559 times
I don't think people realize how much you can actually save by providing contraception, education and other tools and resources to people. Complain all you want about the 0.75 you'll have to spend per condom but guess what, that's just money saved in other programs e.g. welfare. Complaining solves nothing. Instead find the root issue and come up with a solution.

People are biologically programmed to desire sex. That's just a fact of nature and no amount of counseling is going to cause a drastic dent in unwanted pregnancies. Teens will have sex regardless if you tell them just don't do it. Instead offer education, explain the consequences of unprotected sex. And yes, even explain the benefits of abstinence, but don't count on it being very effective. Let kids know the benefits of getting an education and making your own wage.

But beyond sex and procreation we must educate and help and encourage people to succeed. We can and should provide these tools to people, but a person's success is also very dependent on the person's environment and family upbringing.

So how can we fix a broken society? Well, we need an economy that is fair and offers people the ability to succeed (I have my reservations how possible that is in this day in age but that's for another discussion). Sure "anyone" in our country can succeed, but with what amount of hard work? How many hurdles and barriers does a person have to get past before they can be successful (and not have a want or need for welfare and other social services)? Befuddles me how some people for instance can have such a negative view on poor blacks and see them nothing more as viral plagues on society. You really think gangs just sprang up out of nowhere or are somehow racially connected? No, gangs are formed from an environment riddled with desolation and desperation. Poverty, lack of education, lack of social services, these are the root problems. So instead of complaining about the welfare system and how people abuse it, find solutions and I guarantee there won't be too much more to complain about.

Anyway, I'll step down now. I'm done for the night, I've gone too far into a tangent and if I think about people's lack of logic too much more I'm gonna scream.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:32 AM

395 posts, read 640,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Signed. There is no reason for the government to even be involved in this.
Sure there is, if it's not done at home the government should be a backstop otherwise it's up to you and me the taxpayer to foot the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas