Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:29 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,497,638 times

Advertisements

Our beloved state is headed downward, and the spiral will continue to expand if we don't start paying attention. I don't care if you are liberal, conservative, Republican or a Democrat. This column really sums it up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/op...?_r=1&emc=eta1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 03:22 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,168,589 times
Sounds like its time for Texans to exercise some personal responsibility.

Both education and contraception begin at home.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:23 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,265,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Sounds like its time for Texans to exercise some personal responsibility.

Both education and contraception begin at home.
Signed. There is no reason for the government to even be involved in this.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:33 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,600,297 times
I was going to read it until I saw what website its on....NY Times? Yeah like that liberal POS propaganda rag is gonna tell the truth about ANYTHING related to Texas.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:35 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
I was going to read it until I saw what website its on....NY Times? Yeah like that liberal POS propaganda rag is gonna tell the truth about ANYTHING related to Texas.
You did the right thing. Just a bunch of BS.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:00 PM

657 posts, read 2,534,839 times
It's cheaper for the government to finance some contraception programs than it is to pay for the medical and school expenses for all the new babies being born.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:01 PM

687 posts, read 1,571,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Signed. There is no reason for the government to even be involved in this.
Our state government already decided to get involved in this with the abstinence-only nonsense they teach in the schools. No wonder we have a terrible teenage pregnancy rate. I guess if you keep your head in the sand long enough everything is a-ok.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:10 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
Our state government already decided to get involved in this with the abstinence-only nonsense they teach in the schools. No wonder we have a terrible teenage pregnancy rate. I guess if you keep your head in the sand long enough everything is a-ok.
True. Teaching abstinence isn't the correct way of handling young people; it only entices their interest [that's how it was for me]. I think the best way is to do how my parents did for my siblings and me. They encouraged us not to have sex, but at the same time supplied and educated us with the necessary things we needed to protect ourselves.

Please, telling teenagers not to have sex is far from how to handle these situations. Teens love to be rebellious and go against their elders.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premont View Post
It's cheaper for the government to finance some contraception programs than it is to pay for the medical and school expenses for all the new babies being born.
I doubt it. Even if the contraception program is successful, we will still have a huge influx of illegal immigrants and their children to pay for. It would be cheaper to let families be responsible for their own planning and get the government out of it entirely.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
I agree that abstinence only is a program doomed to failure because millions of years of evolution have programed people to want to reproduce. You can't fight those hormones, but you can quit wasting money trying to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: