U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Status: " On and off line interchangeably" (set 7 days ago)

9,823 posts, read 11,318,641 times

Advertisements

Greetings fellow Texans,

Good Lord, y'all (pun intended) I am not sure what the hell (another pun intended!) the big deal is about all this...?

I am no great big Perry fan...but he hasn't done anything that is so out of line with the executive power (whether it be national, state, or local) to issue a proclamation for this or that. They have been issued for lesser reasons. Some reason though, when it brings God or prayer into it, a certain bunch goes ape-sh*t. And of course, for some to make their self-clever barbs about the imaginary man in the sky.

Hell, Perry issued a proclamation -- on Easter weekend, considered sacred and Holy by we Christians in the state and across the nation -- to pray for rain. GASP..ARRRG...Slits wrists...the next step is to declare the Southern Baptist Church the official state religion....

Ok, I don't need to be told that I am obviously being a bit silly here. But fer gawd sake (careful to avoid the pun this time!), why in the world is this a big deal?

We need rain, we all agree on that. Some of us will pray for it. On the other hand, if you don't believe, then don't pray for it. HOPE for it. Wish upon a star, or the deity Mother Earth and worship on Earth Day, and tell the imaginary sky wizard to kiss yer butt if you have those kind of nuts. See how far that gets you.

This whole thing is much ado about not much. Pray if you want, don't if you dont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 05:51 PM

12,535 posts, read 13,863,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Greetings fellow Texans,

Good Lord, y'all (pun intended) I am not sure what the hell (another pun intended!) the big deal is about all this...?

I am no great big Perry fan...but he hasn't done anything that is so out of line with the executive power (whether it be national, state, or local) to issue a proclamation for this or that. They have been issued for lesser reasons. Some reason though, when it brings God or prayer into it, a certain bunch goes ape-sh*t. And of course, for some to make their self-clever barbs about the imaginary man in the sky.

Hell, Perry issued a proclamation -- on Easter weekend, considered sacred and Holy by we Christians in the state and across the nation -- to pray for rain. GASP..ARRRG...Slits wrists...the next step is to declare the Southern Baptist Church the official state religion....

Ok, I don't need to be told that I am obviously being a bit silly here. But fer gawd sake (careful to avoid the pun this time!), why in the world is this a big deal?

We need rain, we all agree on that. Some of us will pray for it. On the other hand, if you don't believe, then don't pray for it. HOPE for it. Wish upon a star, or the deity Mother Earth and worship on Earth Day, and tell the imaginary sky wizard to kiss yer butt if you have those kind of nuts. See how far that gets you.

This whole thing is much ado about not much. Pray if you want, don't if you dont.
THANK YOU!!!

Pray for rain if you want, flip God the middle finger for not providing it if that is so your wish...or on the other hand don't do or say anything at all. If we all lived life without constantly mico monitoring every little thing other people say we would be much happier.

Why is this such a touchy touchy issue with some people?

Perry is well within his bounds on asking this of his fellow Texans.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:54 PM

416 posts, read 126,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
THANK YOU!!!

Pray for rain if you want, flip God the middle finger for not providing it if that is so your wish...or on the other hand don't do anything at all.

Why is this such a touchy touchy issue with some people?

Perry is well within his bounds on asking this of his fellow Texans.
I can hardly flip the finger to someone who doesn't exist. If I could, I would.

He needs to get things going. This crap won't do anything. You know it.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:55 PM

5,010 posts, read 8,079,444 times
Quote:
Greetings fellow Texans,

Probably because it's dangerously close to endorsing religion.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:01 PM

12,535 posts, read 13,863,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Oh shut it already!

Every religion has prayer. It doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a strictly Christian day of prayer either.

I bet if he had made it a day you didn't have to go to work yet got paid for a full 8 hours you would be a happy camper right?

Old 04-22-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Endorsing what religion? It just said prayer.

It is any different than these proclamations?

Presidential Thanksgiving Proclamations 1930-

Old 04-22-2011, 06:24 PM

514 posts, read 428,123 times
Hope you guys do OK...fires are such nasty business. California is awash with snow and water. Our drought is long gone. But as you folks know, heavy moisture brings heavy vegetation which dries out...I guess you can be glad the fires aren't in or near large population centers. Good luck!

Old 04-22-2011, 06:34 PM

Default Something must have worked!

Something must have worked...as it is coming down here, complete with thunder and lighnting, with lots of rain. Much more east of us. And after lots of prayers for it and on an Easter weekend.

Them prayers didn' hurt much, did they?

Old 04-22-2011, 06:44 PM

5,010 posts, read 8,079,444 times
Quote:
Endorsing what religion? It just said prayer.

It is any different than these proclamations?

Presidential Thanksgiving Proclamations 1930-

Any religion. Since it didn't specifically name a religion, it can squeak by, but what about people who don't believe in prayer at all?

It's setting himself up for a nice discrimination lawsuit.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Any religion. Since it didn't specifically name a religion, it can squeak by, but what about people who don't believe in prayer at all?
What about them? They can ignore it and not pray. What is so hard to understand about that? Just as when a proclamation is issued to appreciate Cinco De Maya, I am free to ignore that. Which I do. It means nothing to me at all. But I don't get all upset about it that some others DO choose to recognize it.

Let's face it and be honest. The ONLY reason this made any mention at all and some are up in arms about it is because it involved God and prayer. To some, this cannot be allowed to exist in however innocent a form. Fer, gosh sakes, executive proclamations are issued by the dozens. If doubted? Then just look them up and see how many there are, each day, even.

Quote:
It's setting himself up for a nice discrimination lawsuit.
And maybe the said perpetually offended can backdate the lawsuit to the emotional harm suffered via the proclamation originally declaring a day of national day of thanksgiving and invoking God's blessing, reckon?

Last edited by TexasReb; 04-22-2011 at 07:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas